Thread: elmerkeithclone

Default elmerkeithclone

Turns out Elmer can shoot a rifle at a target as well as he can a squirrel's head. He scored just one point short of a National record with a 224 with 4 X's. Not bad for just taking the gun out of the box and sighting it in the day before the competition. I guess shooting off a bench, with plenty of time for each shot is pretty easy when compared to shooting free-handed at a squirrel bounding across the timber. Good shootin', do I hear Olympics of 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by RugerBuger View Post
    Turns out Elmer can shoot a rifle at a target as well as he can a squirrel's head. He scored just one point short of a National record with a 224 with 4 X's. Not bad for just taking the gun out of the box and sighting it in the day before the competition. I guess shooting off a bench, with plenty of time for each shot is pretty easy when compared to shooting free-handed at a squirrel bounding across the timber. Good shootin', do I hear Olympics of 2012?
    VERY COOL! Outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by RugerBuger View Post
    Good shootin', do I hear Olympics of 2012?
    Wow! I sure hope so. That kind of shooting is a whole lot harder than whacking a little white ball into a hole with a stick. Too bad it doesn't come with the same kind of paycheck.

Congrats EKK!!!

Very excellent sir!!!

Brett

So, time to start thinking about endorsment deals/sponsers.

Sign me up as a sponser EKC...and I've got 3 other Golf/Shooting buddies that will sign on too. I know we can pull together enough sponser cash (to at least get you a case of Coors!) We may not be rich, but we'll be your cheering section at the waffle house. Reminds me you need a "cool" celebrity nickname now like "Tin Cup"...or "Brass Catcher".
    Very cool, EKC!

First time I've ever done such a thing. I had no idea what to expect...just followed the orders of the range master(picky old fart).

The owner of Midwest Firearms kinda put me up to this. He told me about the competition and told me he wanted me to do it. He then took a brand new 10/22 target rifle with the hammer forged barrel off the rack and handed it to me. He then told me to pick a scope off the shelf. Since we were going to be shooting 50 meters and he only had one high magnification scope with an adjustable objective thats the one I grabbed. It's a Tasco 6x24 mil dot scope that retails for less than $100. I slapped it on, cranked the AO down to a tad over 50 yards and zeroed it in.

I decided right off that the trigger sucks. Its got one catch in it and that rough spot is right before the sear breaks so it's a little hard to get past it. I had no time to deal with that so figured good enough.

The class was "Sporter" what ever that means. I know they weighed the gun and it weighed 8.3 lbs and the limit for that class was 8.6 lbs. I think that class is for off the shelf rifles. There were a couple of Anshutz's and a Remington 40x on either side of me. They had fancy rests that they clamped their guns in, they had spotting scopes(for 50 meters? Give me a break!) and one guy even threw flower in the air between shots on occasion. I had a Harris Bi-pod on the front and a bean bag for the butt to rest on.

All I know is that when they got done scoring targets I had everybody by 20 points or more. The X is a 1/10th of an inch dot in the middle of the bull and you have to completely obliterate it with one shot to get an x score. To put it into terms more familiar my composite 25 shot string went into something around 3/8's of an inch!

Whats this mean? Not much! It's a little gratifying but I'd still rather take a my rifle, a couple peanut butter sandwiches, something to drink and spend all day in the big woods shooting my limit of bushy tails. I'm not much into being around crowds or drawing a crowd or answering questions..... were you allowing for up currents? Did you wipe your bullets individually before loading? Huh? I couldn't even talk intelligently about it with some of those guys.

By the way I ended up shooting Wolf "Match" ammo.....twas the onliest match ammo I could find hereabouts. Those shells are greasy little devils...whats that about?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    The class was "Sporter" what ever that means. I know they weighed the gun and it weighed 8.3 lbs and the limit for that class was 8.6 lbs. I think that class is for off the shelf rifles. There were a couple of Anshutz's and a Remington 40x on either side of me. They had fancy rests that they clamped their guns in, they had spotting scopes(for 50 meters? Give me a break!) and one guy even threw flower in the air between shots on occasion. I had a Harris Bi-pod on the front and a bean bag for the butt to rest on.

All I know is that when they got done scoring targets I had everybody by 20 points or more. The X is a 1/10th of an inch dot in the middle of the bull and you have to completely obliterate it with one shot to get an x score. To put it into terms more familiar my composite 25 shot string went into something around 3/8's of an inch!

Whats this mean? Not much! It's a little gratifying but I'd still rather take a my rifle, a couple peanut butter sandwiches, something to drink and spend all day in the big woods shooting my limit of bushy tails. I'm not much into being around crowds or drawing a crowd or answering questions..... were you allowing for up currents? Did you wipe your bullets individually before loading? Huh? I couldn't even talk intelligently about it with some of those guys.

By the way I ended up shooting Wolf "Match" ammo.....twas the onliest match ammo I could find hereabouts. Those shells are greasy little devils...whats that about?
    Hee hee heeeeee, LMAO! That makes it even Better, EKC!!! Outstanding!
    Seriously, you've got the Sun City "Coors Beer" sponsorship wrapped up here in AZ!
    You've just got to come south and collect.