Thread: .480 Ruger??

Default .480 Ruger??

This is a cross post from a thread I posted in the hunting section.

I'm thinking I'd like something a bit bigger than my .44 mag for a moose hunting & black bear huntting revolver, & of course on the Kenai Penninsula there's always the chance encounter with a brownie.
    I'm not a huge fan of recoil but do OK with 320s @ 1350 from my mod. 29.
    Some reading has me thinking about the 480, specifically the 400 gr loads in the 1200 fps area.
    Anyone with experience?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default 480

Vance,
    Have you looked at the S&W x-frame in 460?? It will shoot the 45 colt, 454 and the 460. It's a heavy pistol but if you're into handgun hunting I'd at least look at it. It's pretty impressive. Supposedly a guy shot a charging griz last year, hit it the first shot in the chest/shoulder area and exited a rear ham. No bullet recovery. The bear was reported to be over 7'.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    This is a cross post from a thread I posted in the hunting section.

I'm thinking I'd like something a bit bigger than my .44 mag for a moose hunting & black bear huntting revolver, & of course on the Kenai Penninsula there's always the chance encounter with a brownie.
    I'm not a huge fan of recoil but do OK with 320s @ 1350 from my mod. 29.
    Some reading has me thinking about the 480, specifically the 400 gr loads in the 1200 fps area.
    Anyone with experience?
    Vance

I think the revolver type, weight and design will have more of an impact on felt recoil than how hard you push a bullet !!!
    My sons Raging bull 454 has much less recoil with a 400 gr bullet (1288 vel)than my 44 mag Ruger Redhawk with a 360 Grain bullet (1247 vel) both right at the same velocities !!!!
    My 44 revolver and the 454 were right at the same weight .
    When I had my 480 I pushed a 420 Grain bullet at 1289 and recoil was more noticeable than the 454 .
    My 480 revolver was lighter than the 454 .
    If you can handle a model 29 at 1350 have you thought about the 500 mag ??
    I can shoot a 400 Grain from 1208 through 1634 and the recoil is not bad at all at the lower velocities through my S&W PC Hunter 500 Mag although it does have the 10.5 barrel and is heavier than the shorter 500 Mag with the 8 3/8 barrel.
    One of my 440 Grain has a meplat of .455 and that is pretty wide and has a heck of an wallop when met with an animal and can be pushed from 1191 through 1654 .
    This last spring I took a 6 1/2 foot black bear at 77 yards with a 700 Grain (meplat .495) bullet pushed at 1225 vel right through the heart . When hit he did a back flip and was dead before he hit the ground . No bullet recovery .
    Anyway the 480 is a good choice but you will be limited to bullet choice and design compared to the 454 and 500 mag .
    Not a whole lot to choose from when I had mine , it might be different now ??
    Now my S&W 460 XVR with the 14" barrel is for another topic .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default as said

I think Ranger Rick has some serious experience here. My two cents is this: My 480 Ruger kicks one hell of a lot more than my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag did, but it is certainly managable. I'm 165 lbs. I've never shot the 480 w/ one hand (no guts yet) but the 44 Mag was easy to do so w/. Sure seems like the 480 bullet whacks stuff a whale of a lot harder, too; just targets. Good luck, and let us know what you buy and how it compares. I'd love to hear. j

Talking limited Use

Vance: I got a .480 this fall and have only shot a sitka blacktail with hornady 325 grain, but plan on blackbear in the spring. No complaints from me, just from the deer.

Vance,

I've had a 480 since shortly after they came out. I have a buddy that has had all the really big bore revolvers and I've had a chance to shoot them. Personally, I can't handle full patch 475 and 500 Linebaugh loads and am not willing to carry a really heavy revovler with a muzzlebreak so that I can handle such loads.

The 480 will do exactly what you want, recoil is on par with a 44 mag, and 400 gr @ 1200 fps is IMHO perfection in a shootable, packable big bore revolver.

I've put somewhere around 4000 rounds through mine, and to me it is perfection in a hunting revolver. Don't know if I got lucky with my Ruger, but scoped it'll put 5 shots into 1" at 50 yds, and has done so with pretty much every cast bullet I've tried, from 310 gr to 460 gr. That said I've settled on 21 gr of H-110 lit off by a CCI 350 primer under a 400 gr cast. I've used that charge with a 390 gr LBT, 400 gr, and a custom 400 gr XLFN, and all those bullets clock a nominal 1200 fps from the 7 1/2" barrel, and group better than I can shoot.