Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope bear hunting issue

Default Hope bear hunting issue

So, we went bear hunting this weekend at Hope. We didn't see much at all. We did see two bears though. On the way into Hope we spotted two bears 3.5 miles east of hope on the main road. We followed one into the woods and lost it quickly and when we returned to the truck we spotted another large blacky a couple hundred yards ahead. So, we go running down the road with our rifles toward the area of the bear and dart into the mountain side of the road after the bear (here is where the issue comes around). A white ford f250 extended cab with a shell (probably later 90s or early 2000's) drove past us as we were on the road then, slammed on his breaks, threw it in reverse, started yelling at us and took down our license plate number. I didn't really care, since it was legal. So I continue to peruse this bear, I am crouched underneath a power-line train and I can see the bear coming out of the woods into the trail 100 yards ahead of me. Then I hear my friend, who is on the road yelling at me that "its time to go!!!".

So, I was pissed to say the least. Not knowing why this guy was yelling at us and also freaking my friends out enough to leave this really nice black bear to live another day.

I called fish and game and told them everything, right after it happened and spoke with 3 different people, one being a wildlife trooper. All said I was not in any violation. (was not private property or native property and was plenty of distance from the road)

So, if anyone knows a guy who drives a white late 90's early 2000 ford f-250 with a shell that lives, works or was in hope this weekend, please let me know. Would love to talk to this joker

Does anyone know why he might have been freaking out?

Thanks

Your "Friend" is very smart. Suggest you keep him as your friend, and hunting buddy.

Interesting response hopeak. Are you suggesting AKGraham was in the wrong or breaking the law and his friend was there to save the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Interesting response hopeak. Are you suggesting AKGraham was in the wrong or breaking the law and his friend was there to save the day?

I'll let "Stogey" answer that one.

where is the response from hopeak? was it deleted?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

-AGL4now- My "friend" was the one who suggested that we go after that bear in the first place. Are you saying that what we were doing was illegal? because according to one wildlife trooper it was not.

Were there any no parking on roadside signs? Is there a 1/4 or 1/2 mile from road restriction on that strech of road?

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Were there any no parking on roadside signs? Is there a 1/4 or 1/2 mile from road restriction on that strech of road?
    I can't find anything in the regs about didstance from the road, just that you can not shoot "on, from or across the road". and when we spoke to the trooper he didn't mention any distance limitation.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default My Snap Judgement

If F&G says you were legal, then the F250 driver must be guilty of harrassing a hunter, which would be Illegal.

And, your "friend' is easily intimidated. I suggest you "Lose Him".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I am late but waiting on the outcome of this as I'll be there later this weekend.

Default hunter harassment: up to $500 and 30 days in jail

What Smitty said. http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/...Section790.htm

You should have shot: you were right, the anti and your buddy were wrong. Plus, you were better armed than he.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    What Smitty said. http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/...Section790.htm

You should have shot: you were right, the anti and your buddy were wrong. Plus, you were better armed than he.
    I don't know the details as not much was provided here. If the buddy was advising you to abort because he felt that there was danger of the person in the F250 doing something more than just passing by and yelling (such as thinking they may be willing to cause harm to you as well), then they were probably correct in calling you off. Yes, you may have been legal with what you were doing, but legal and dead is still dead.

If your buddy was calling you off because he questioned the legality of what you were doing, I still don't think it was a bad move. It isn't much different than a hunting partner calling you off from shooting a moose because he is not convinced it meets the legal requirements (number of brow tines, width, sex, etc...). When the question of legal or not comes up and you aren't willing to bet the proverbial farm on your interpretation, then playing it "safe" and aborting is usually the best option.

Also, for something to be considered a "road" in the view of the hunting regulations, it doesn't have to be a full on active road. Often, things like powerline access roads and similar things like that count just as much as a 6-lane paved highway.

Default Sounds like you were legal

and sounds like you had a "local" pissed that you were hunting there. As long as you are off the road, you are legal to shoot. Just don't shoot across, etc. Should have shot yourself a bear!

Thumbs up

I would contact the Troopers again and file a Formal Crimminal Complaint. Provide them as much detail as possible, even comments made in public internet forums. There couldn't possibly be that many "suspects" in such a small community. I would not rest until the perp was charged and convicted of "harassment".
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default And now....the rest of the story...

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I'll let "Stogey" answer that one.
    I wanna hear from Stogey, there has got to be two sides to this story. I don't want to see anyone crucified (we've all been harassed, deserved or not, by another hunter or landowner or leaser or whatever at one time or another) and it's rarely black and white. This could lead to a good discussion of local ettiquette, knowing regs, or just knowing when discretion is the better part of valor in the face of a person who is making a big stink of themselves.

Default ? for AKGraham

After reading your post, I gotta ask if you were the "hunter" that took the Brown Bear along the highway just south of the Russian River last fall?
    Gary

Default It is harrassment!

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I would contact the Troopers again and file a Formal Crimminal Complaint. Provide them as much detail as possible, even comments made in public internet forums. There couldn't possibly be that many "suspects" in such a small community. I would not rest until the perp was charged and convicted of "harassment".
    A couple of years ago during bow season my friend was on his way back from church on a wed. night. He spotted a cow moose and a couple hundred yards away was a moose that was big enough to be the previous years calf with its head in the brush. My friend was hoping it was a spike/fork as this area was public land and it was well off of the road. He began to stalk the smaller moose with his bow to get a look at its head. Meanwhile a guy pulls up in a van and begins to honk his horn and yell at my friend. The other two people riding with my friend explained to the guy that my friend was legaly hunting and trying to determine if the smaller moose was a spike/fork or not.He still continued to honk and yell until both moose ran off without them getting a look at the smaller ones head. My friend went back to his vehicle and asked the guy what was up. He said he had been watching this exact moose all year and it was a cow with calf and no horns. they had a discussion about wether this could have been a spike and the guy finally got mad and took off. My friends bow was never drawn as he never got a good look at the smaller moose.
    My friend then calls the state troopers to file a harrassment complaint. They said they knew all about it as the guy filed a complaint on him first for attempting to shoot a cow moose and said his bow was drawn. He then explained the situation to the trooper and defended his actions.
    They told him to call it a wash and go home. He said no he still wanted to file a complaint and they said they would not file it and forget the incident and just go home.
    In this bear case I would still file a complaint but would not expect much to happen. Yes it is a crime but as in my friends case they may not want to do anything about it. If you had some video evidence you might have a better chance but otherwise it is your word against what he says. I am sure he would lie about where exactly you were or something.
    This kind of stuff has got to be stopped but unfortunately can be hard to prove harrasssment has occured. In your case though there was a legal animal in your sights so who knows.
    Good luck finding this guy. I sure hope you do and that the troopers will feel obligated to do something about it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I wanna hear from Stogey, there has got to be two sides to this story. I don't want to see anyone crucified (we've all been harassed, deserved or not, by another hunter or landowner or leaser or whatever at one time or another) and it's rarely black and white. This could lead to a good discussion of local ettiquette, knowing regs, or just knowing when discretion is the better part of valor in the face of a person who is making a big stink of themselves.
    No need to wait on Stogey, He was not in a white truck at Hope this weekend, I am pretty sure AGL4now can confirm that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    After reading your post, I gotta ask if you were the "hunter" that took the Brown Bear along the highway just south of the Russian River last fall?
    Gary
    Are you serious? what a dumb question..how is that even relelvant?

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Gary
    Really dude? Wish I could send you a nice little message...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast