Thread: Have you heard of a Pike Shotgun?

Talking Have you heard of a Pike Shotgun?

Went out to a lake this weekend and bagged these hogs. Was a blast and probably the best pike fishing i had for a while. My worries after sand lake went down the drain are gone!! Largest measured to be 35.5

So...I'll bite.

Where'd you catch them?

You left that minor detail out.....lol.

Seriously, my wife would kill for some dried pike and I need somewhere to catch her some. I promise I won't enjoy it at all.

Where those caught at Sand Lake?

yeah location please!

Quote Originally Posted by Dallman3 View Post
    Where those caught at Sand Lake?
    Couldn't have been sand lake it was poisoned last year

Thats a nice mess of fish ya have there Hunter. Good job.

Thumbs up As requested

Lower fire lake ! And be sure to bring some small herring just encase. Caught most of them late late evening using a Jointed 13cm Rapala floating baby pike. They are still spawning and was very aggressive towards it. Switch back and forth between techniques and run the shoreline. Stay shallow as possible around 10-11pm that's when the bigger ones come out at least for me it was. If all fails : bobber, 1 ft of 50lb test leader, #4 hook, and a piece of white shrimp did us some good also. Let me know about the results if you head out! Might try a few different lakes this week and see how things go. Good Luck!!

Default Throw back the babies.

Some are a little small to eat.

Default nice pics

those are some nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Looks like someone has alot of cleaning to do. Those darn things are fun to catch but just a little to bony for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter530 View Post
    Lower fire lake ! And be sure to bring some small herring just encase. Caught most of them late late evening using a Jointed 13cm Rapala floating baby pike. They are still spawning and was very aggressive towards it. Switch back and forth between techniques and run the shoreline. Stay shallow as possible around 10-11pm that's when the bigger ones come out at least for me it was. If all fails : bobber, 1 ft of 50lb test leader, #4 hook, and a piece of white shrimp did us some good also. Let me know about the results if you head out! Might try a few different lakes this week and see how things go. Good Luck!!

Nice info! We regularly eat pike deep fried in beer batter, excellent. If your careful you can remove the Y bone etc. and they fight good also.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    Some are a little small to eat.
    I say it don't matter the size, kill them all. Good job @ wacking the pike.
    Thanks for sharing the info to.

Check out the slime on the table.....Nice fish and great eats when you get all the y bones out.

Talking

Top half of fillets has the y bones thats pretty tricky to get out. I took the bottom fillets which was still about 1 inch thick and made fish nuggets outta em'. Little bit of bread crumbs, deep frying pan, some good ol' homemade seasoning, and voila! Had a few friends tried it and said it was the best fish nuggets they've tasted until i told them it was pike fillets. Surprise suprise! lol they didn't believe me until i showed em the pictures lol. Still kept the top portion and threw it on the bbq grill. Its good eating.. but for me. Its all about the action out on the water!

Default Nice

Thats right kill them pike
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Unhappy

Went out tonight to Lower Fire Lake. Tried fly fishing with some poppers. It was a little after 10 when I got there and fished til midnight. I worked the shoreline quite a bit. I didnt catch anything. A couple was just leaving when I arrived and had caught 2 pike with spinning gear. There was another guy fly fishing in a canoe and didnt get anything either. Do you think it was to late? Should I try another approach?

I have never heard of anyone doing that good at Lower Fire Lake. You must have really hit it good.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I have never heard of anyone doing that good at Lower Fire Lake. You must have really hit it good.

now you've heard it

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Dallman3 View Post
    Went out tonight to Lower Fire Lake. Tried fly fishing with some poppers. It was a little after 10 when I got there and fished til midnight. I worked the shoreline quite a bit. I didnt catch anything. A couple was just leaving when I arrived and had caught 2 pike with spinning gear. There was another guy fly fishing in a canoe and didnt get anything either. Do you think it was to late? Should I try another approach?
    The day me and my brother was there, we noticed there were a 2 other rafts out there pike fishing too. Seen them catch a few as well. honestly i didnt think there was going to be much action either but have heard buddies of mine say they caught nice ones out there over ice. That's what motivated me to try. Plus pikes been there quite a while so i wasn't surprise when we hauled a few of them in the boat. Sounds to me like you were doing everything right maybe just not a good day. Pm me and ill tell you exactly where we were when we caught the bigger ones.

Tried fishing last night from shore for about 2 hours around the boat launch. Only got one bite on herring but the fish got off at shore when I tried to land him. It was fun to hook one but would of been better to land it.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan4300 View Post
    Tried fishing last night from shore for about 2 hours around the boat launch. Only got one bite on herring but the fish got off at shore when I tried to land him. It was fun to hook one but would of been better to land it.

Nathan

Fishing from shore is always fun but chances of landing a nice one is 10x greater if you go out of a dingy or small boat. The lake is full of tree stumps and tree branches underwater. But in that case it produces alot of hiding grounds for them suckers. If you get hits at the boat launch area, imagine fishing where the grassy areas are.