Thread: Copper River trail question

Default Copper River trail question

HEading out next holiday weekend. I need some help

Are you still able to ride atvs down the trail that runs along Copper River. This road used to be very fun and just wanted to see if we are able to ride this trail anymore. Thanks for the help.

Default Parts of it are still open.

I think you can still make it to Haley Creek. There's been a couple of slides in the last 10 years that wiped out sections of it but people have packed the trail back in. My understanding is that the bridge at Haley has been washed out and not replaced. Not sure if you can get past that or not, I know at times it gets pretty deep there.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

The year before last you could still get to Haley Creek but in my estimation it was very dangerous going past a couple of slides. When those rocks were wet they were very dangerous. There have been several quads lost over the edge there. I guess it is a personal choice how much risk you are willing to take.

Even if you got past Haley there is a mud slide in front of the tunnel just beyond the creek. Haven't seen it in two years but it would take a lot of work for someone to get thru it. Don't know if anyone has tackled it yet. I think we would have heard if someone did though.

Any word on the trail to Haley Creek yet? Dipnetting is right around the corner.