Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which bullet for large game?

Smile Which bullet for large game?

Which bullet is best for large game...Nosler, Barnes, Swift A-frame? I've been a Nosler guy all my hunting career but there are a lot of good bullets out there now, what do you think....

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Default It depends

what you are shooting at. Oh and the caliber, speed and range to target.

Quote Originally Posted by green sourdough View Post
    what you are shooting at. Oh and the caliber, speed and range to target.
    Large game like Moose and bear with .338 Win Mag. 250gr at around 2750-2800 or 350gr .416 Remington at a reduced load of 2400-2450 fps.....range out to 200 yds or so...

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Which one shoots best in that particular rifle? Don't forget Hawk, NorthFork, Woodleigh and others. You're right, there are many to choose from.
    Afflicted by condition human

Thumbs up yup...

You got it, any one of those 3 works good. Dead is dead.

It just never ends. It not what type of bullet, gun you use. They ALL will kill. It's ALL about putting the bullet in the kill zone period. Sorry it just gets me going. Buy a good go shot it a 50 time till you can get group stand sitting 100 yards 200 yard 500 yards. Get good with you gun and it won't let you down.

I like core locks been around for many many years never let me down.I shoot cheap plus it the only ones i can find for my 350 mag. But for the next couple years i shoot only black powder till i take every alaska big game animal with one.

Barnes TXS and Swift A Frame. Honorable mention to Nosler Partition. In my way of thinking there are 3 things that lead to clean/efficient kills. They are not of equal importance. Their rank in importance to my thinking is:

1. Shot placement. Any bullet could shoot well out of any gun.

2. Penetration. Penetration is a function of original mass, velocity, and mass retained during penetration. Bullets that don't reach thier target are next to worthless. A bullet that mantains its mass will out penetrate a bullet that doesn't every day and twice on sunday. Barnes TSX and Swift A Frames are famous for weight retention. Partitions do very well also, but not as good as the other two. Some people don't like the TSX or A Frame because "they don't expand enough" whatever that means. To me any bullet that fragments is worthless in big animals and I wouldn't be caught dead using them. If you're some how worried that TSX or A Frames won't expand enough use one of the controlled expansion bullets that maintain mass well like the Nosler Partition. For big stuff especially if it bites or stomps I want something that maintains mass and penetrates unfailingly.

3. Expansion. All else being equal, if you shoot it in the right place and the bullet penetrates through the vital organs the bigger the hole is the faster the animal will die. That said you can shoot a solid in .375 diameter through an elephant's heart and lungs and it will be down in 100-200 yards, so perhaps expansion isn't the be all end all some make it to be. As I said though all else equal I'd rather have a big hole than a small hole. A Frames and TSX expand well. Partitions even better.

My choice for the big stuff in my .375 is TSX. For mid sized game or tough game I use TSX in my .325wsm. For smaller or light skinned game I use partitions in my 7mm wsm. For my double Woodleigh softs and solids, but only because they regulate so well.

Brett

The best big game bullet by far (and nothing else comes even close) is the TSFTSBAC. The:

Barnosleremchester TripleSafe-FrameTipped-ShockBonded-AccuClaw

In even a moderate caliber, it will cleanly kill the largest humpback whale or hippo with a single shot placed anywhere, and it has a BC of 2.967.

I think Brett made some excellent points in his post, and I agree with him. I'll simply add that I have had significantly better accuracy with the TSX bullets than the A-Frames. The A-Frame is an excellent bullet, but I have not been able to get it to group anywhere near as good as the TSX. Therefore, I use TSX's in all of my big game hunting applications, and they have performed flawlessly...over and over again.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    The best big game bullet by far (and nothing else comes even close) is the TSFTSBAC. The:

Barnosleremchester TripleSafe-FrameTipped-ShockBonded-AccuClaw

In even a moderate caliber, it will cleanly kill the largest humpback whale or hippo with a single shot placed anywhere, and it has a BC of 2.967.
    That's an excellent bullet MarineHawk...I read in Handloader that it is coming out in a polymer-tipped version this fall.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    That's an excellent bullet MarineHawk...I read in Handloader that it is coming out in a polymer-tipped version this fall.

Doc
    Yes. I hear that the new polymer offering will allow you to make accurate bank shots off of large boulders for the perfect angle of entry when the animal gives a poor presentation; whereas the current version will just shatter the boulder into small pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Barnes TXS and Swift A Frame. Honorable mention to Nosler Partition. In my way of thinking there are 3 things that lead to clean/efficient kills. They are not of equal importance. Their rank in importance to my thinking is:

1. Shot placement. Any bullet could shoot well out of any gun.

2. Penetration. Penetration is a function of original mass, velocity, and mass retained during penetration. Bullets that don't reach thier target are next to worthless. A bullet that mantains its mass will out penetrate a bullet that doesn't every day and twice on sunday. Barnes TSX and Swift A Frames are famous for weight retention. Partitions do very well also, but not as good as the other two. Some people don't like the TSX or A Frame because "they don't expand enough" whatever that means. To me any bullet that fragments is worthless in big animals and I wouldn't be caught dead using them. If you're some how worried that TSX or A Frames won't expand enough use one of the controlled expansion bullets that maintain mass well like the Nosler Partition. For big stuff especially if it bites or stomps I want something that maintains mass and penetrates unfailingly.

3. Expansion. All else being equal, if you shoot it in the right place and the bullet penetrates through the vital organs the bigger the hole is the faster the animal will die. That said you can shoot a solid in .375 diameter through an elephant's heart and lungs and it will be down in 100-200 yards, so perhaps expansion isn't the be all end all some make it to be. As I said though all else equal I'd rather have a big hole than a small hole. A Frames and TSX expand well. Partitions even better.

My choice for the big stuff in my .375 is TSX. For mid sized game or tough game I use TSX in my .325wsm. For smaller or light skinned game I use partitions in my 7mm wsm. For my double Woodleigh softs and solids, but only because they regulate so well.

Brett
    GREAT post!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I use TSX's in all of my big game hunting applications, and they have performed flawlessly...over and over again.
    With monotinous regularity!!!

Brett

which is a good bullet?.....example,I used Noslers long ago but...flew them light(210grn.) and fast and would shed their weight on impact(just the core intact) which at that time out of my .338 win mag was not agreeable. Dead is dead I know. Thereafter switched to both Swift A frames and Barnes....with excellent results! Again dead is dead. In some calibers that range in the 2600fps arena I stick with Partitions and or Sierra's....all heavy weight bullets. I used both Woodleighs and NorthFork for a time...spendy but good bullets nonetheless.

Guess most bullets work, like one questioned ..in what calibers and with what speeds and for what animals? Alaska big game albeit bears or moose I stick with Noslers, Woodleighs or Barnes.

I have had great success with the TSX in my 300 Win Mag at impact velocities above 2,800 fps. The knock on the TSX (not from me) is that it performs poorly at lower velocities (does not expand).

I have no experience with the TSX at lower velocities. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with the TSX in the 1,900-2,500 fps range?

I genuinely am interested in feedback on this.

Otherwise, I will just stick with the TripleSafe-FrameTipped-ShockBonded-AccuClaw!!

300 grain .375 diameter TSX at 2600fps are about as slow as I've gone. They performed very well. Expansion was outstanding. All the animals I've killed with them have died quickly, but were also shot well. I've only able to recover one bullet and it was on a cape buffalo. The shot was side on and it stopped under the skin of the far shoulder. It folded back into perfect petals and retained 100% of it's mass. It performed very well on 150-400lbs size animals as well. The other rifles I've used them in shot them at a little to a lot over 3000fps. Of course all performed well.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I have had great success with the TSX in my 300 Win Mag at impact velocities above 2,800 fps. The knock on the TSX (not from me) is that it performs poorly at lower velocities (does not expand).

I have no experience with the TSX at lower velocities. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with the TSX in the 1,900-2,500 fps range?
    !!
    I've used the original X and the TSX quite a bit and have killed several head of "big game" with them in several different calibers and have done so in the impact velocity range you are asking about and while the X family of bullets will expand less at those speeds, (so will any other expanding bullet) they still expand and penetrate deeply. I have read folks complaints about TSX bullets not expanding at those lower velocities and I have not experienced it myself, which causes me to disbelieve such stories.

As far as TSX at the 1900-2500fps range. What's going to be actually shooting one that slowly??? Certainly not any of the modern low to mid range calibres. Out of any of the modern cartridges you'd be talking about the big boys. .404 Jefferys and .416 Rigbys up to .500 Jefferys and .505 Gibbs. TSX are rutinely used for these cartridges with great results on large big game. Many of the .404-.416s are also used well enough for plains game. Is there a specific doubt you have?

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    As far as TSX at the 1900-2500fps range. What's going to be actually shooting one that slowly???

Brett
    Just a guess but perhaps he's talking about impact velocity. Your 300gr TSX leaving the muzzle at 2600fps is down to 1900fps around 325 yards.

Really the only other cartridges are the black powder cartridges for lever actions and falling block and the nitro express cartridges for doubles. The lever/falling block black powder cartridges even with smokeless powder have poor velocities for the most part and need solids/hardcast bullets to perform up to modern cartridge standards. Double rifles are a different beast and most people wouldn't dream of shooting TSX in them as they aren't forgiving on the barrels. Woodleighs are forgiving and regulate well in older doubles so they are favored as are the Hornadies.

Brett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast