Thread: Tube wear

Default Tube wear

After 12 years I noticed the outer layer of the tube has worn through. Should I or can I glue on a wear patch at these areas?may 2010 002.JPG

may 2010 004.JPG

Default raft repair

Not sure what kind of raft you have, If she is urethane or pvc, i have a liquid urethane that will totally rebuild your coating. If neoprene or hypalon you should be able to get some GACO paint that will do as such. The key factor is the right primer for whatever your boat is made of. If an NRS or rubber raft, call Tracy at Alaska Raft, he has fixed more rafts than most folks have ever seen!!
    If urethane, SOTAR or WING, give me a call. Easy fix.
    Goo Vogt
    ALASKA WILDWATER
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com
    907-345-4308

Thumbs up

Your NRS Cat top fabric is made with a Green NRS Pennel Orca 1100 denier material.

Good material, long lasting, very good air retention properties, quite good UV resistance... quick/easy repair and uses same as 'Hypalon'-type rubber-based repair materials, adhesives, and directions.

Couple things to do here....

1st check on both tubes throughout for similar signs of wearing (or any other damages you may for that matter) --- mark/reference this stuff so you know how to go about laying out project then sequencing it all out.

2nd thing -- what was pictured becomes the only visible issues you find...

A.) if you have some obvious leaks (often things like you pictured on your NRS boat will not leak yet)- a patch to cover area with proper preparation and correct adhesive is all that is needed --- overlap any leakage by 2" all around for best results. $5-10 bucks on fabric.
    B.) if no leak - I'd recommend some cleaning and prep then simply Aquaseal plus Cotol accelerator using a small paint brush --- overlap, but just a little smidgen. Looks like this will do ya... just not as 'locked on' protective as applying a good patch!

Both excellent repair skills to have a little acquaintance with while around the house making that problem solving in the field much easier to deal with someday...

Food for thought --- comprehensive fresh goodies that should go in your inflatable repair kit.

BTW, where can a guy get a little Cotol in this town? Seems no one will ship it here as it can't go by air.

Thanks guys I got everything I needed from Tracy. BTW Jim; he has Cotol.

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    If urethane, SOTAR or WING, give me a call. Easy fix.
    Goo Vogt
    ALASKA WILDWATER
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com
    907-345-4308
    Goo,
    What would you do to urethane boat? Paint on liquid lex?

That was good advice Brian; getting familiar with a repair at home. The experience will definitely come in handy if I ever need to do a repair in the field.
    Here are the before and after pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default liquid urethane

Benjy, sent you a pm

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RC23 View Post
    That was good advice Brian; getting familiar with a repair at home. The experience will definitely come in handy if I ever need to do a repair in the field.
    Here are the before and after pictures.
    See "you can do it"!!! & you'll get better.

Couple things:

Next time get yourself a roller... or if you have one... go ahead and be a little more aggressive with it once the patch is applied. The other thing you can still do here is clean up the edges with a Toluol (toluene) and wipe it gradually of with t-shirt remnant shop-cloth (where the glue shown is spread around outside edges on the boat). She'll clean up much nicer.

I also follow up all patching with a soap check to verify that the job is done right the first time.

Default Material wear

Hey fixers,my Lynx is showing wear on the bottom, little white dots are showing through the coating. Is there such a thing as a type of spread to layer over an area such as the one I explained? I would be very happy to get grip on this problem.
    In defense of Aire, I have been extremely cruel and demanding to this boat, and am quite impressed it is not in pieces.
    Mo

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    See "you can do it"!!! & you'll get better.

Couple things:

Next time get yourself a roller... or if you have one... go ahead and be a little more aggressive with it once the patch is applied. The other thing you can still do here is clean up the edges with a Toluol (toluene) and wipe it gradually of with t-shirt remnant shop-cloth (where the glue shown is spread around outside edges on the boat). She'll clean up much nicer.

I also follow up all patching with a soap check to verify that the job is done right the first time.
    So what's the fix if the soap check reveals a microscopic leak?

Quote Originally Posted by RC23 View Post
    So what's the fix if the soap check reveals a microscopic leak?
    If the leak is on the repair you just made... the one pictured...

More or less relating what I was indicating on aggressive rolling of the patch once applied to the boat.

Capillary-like effect often occurs for 4 reasons:
    1.) Adhesives are not painted on with two quickly and evenly applied coats... leaving heavier streaking or causing an uneven initial cure phase.
    2.) Patch and boat surfaces are not darn near bone dry additionally boat not flashed w/ TOL to reactivate then patch placed to permanent fix location.
    3.) Any imperfections and bubbles under the patch will often come back to haunt ya without the aggressive use of a roller.
    4.) Surface sanding and prep was inconsistent or not good enough for optimal results.

Since you are at home:
    Take the patch back off (conservatively and slowly) by heating it up with a heat gun. NOT too Hot or too Close!!! Peel it off starting at the edges - no rushing it. Clean off the boat and patch surfaces with TOL and let these dry. Make sure you sand properly both boat and patch... Then go back to the adhesive (2 coats) let dry, flash boat w/ TOL, and aggressively roll once you place the patch.

I know ya just don't want to go through it all again.... by just doing a quick fixer like the Aqua-seal/Cotol... While this may lick the little issue you are having - it may also (likely) open up a new avenue to bubble chase and simply fall off without proper prep.

As usual, EXCELLENT advice by Brian. Thanks for all the info. Notes taken for the future for my raft. Great work
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Material

I have a pac 1200, where is a good place to get some patch material from? I'm going to be out a lot this year and I need to get prepared!

Thumbs up

Swing by alaska, raft and kayak. They have it all and local. I use those guys for everything. They just set me up with a new pair of awesome sticks for my raft. I get my Patch tape there and they have every type of patch color style, glue etc etc. On tudor road just west of applebee's. If nothing else stop in and see what they do have. That way when you do have a need for it you will know. Plus they are very very knowledgeable about rafts and are just good people to talk to. They will help you out in anyway they can.

Should have figured as much . I got some new oars earlier this year from them too, some nice new light cataract oars! Had them out on a lake with the counter weights and OHH MAN! what a difference! Rowin' around Kenai will be a breeze this year!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Should have figured as much . I got some new oars earlier this year from them too, some nice new light cataract oars! Had them out on a lake with the counter weights and OHH MAN! what a difference! Rowin' around Kenai will be a breeze this year!

Thanks!

I upgraded to the lightweight cataract oars myself. I could move my boat pretty good before. I got about another 6 inches of paddle in the water with the new ones. Now oar locks and all. I figure it is gonna take me an hour or two to get used to the new response time on them. No biggie. floating the bridge to jims next saturday. I will play around up top in the slow water. do some spins, work it left and right. I figure by the time Im past the chute and halfway to the bridge I should be pretty comfy with them