Thread: Grouse and Ptarmigan Hunting Around Anchorage

Default Grouse and Ptarmigan Hunting Around Anchorage

I am new to the Anchorage area and Alaska and am looking for some information on where to find grouse and ptarmigan around Anchorage --an hour drive or so if possible-- but willing to go farther for long hunts. If anyone is looking for a hunting buddy I have a dog that is pretty good. I am originally from South Dakota and he did very well with pheasants this past fall. So if anyone out there is after SD pheasants......

Default Small Game Hunting in the Anchorage Area

Welcome to Alaska! First, look into the small game regulations. Grouse and ptarmigan seasons all are pretty much closed after Mar. 31 ( there are a few area exceptions that are open 'til May 15 and some areas close much sooner ). Here's the link to the regs. : http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...dfs/smgame.pdf

But, once the season opens, there are plenty of birds to hunt close to Anchorage. Check out the Jim Creek area, and just about any trail that takes you off of the road system and into the mountains The area in the hills above Sutton, around King River, and out towards Eureka and Lake Louise are usually full of birds.

Get out there and explore this vast wonderland! Have fun

Thanks for the information. I am already planning for the fall. I know everything is pretty well closed now.

hows about the indian girdwood area?

im in the valley, but if your willing to take a 40 minute drive..try jim creek, point Mac....and Buffalo mine road and your chances are great!

how do you get to jim creek? maybe a road?

yes its a road...pull into that and follow the riding trails

Default Buffalo Mine Road?

Are there some trails off Buffalo mine road? Never been there, checking it out on Google earth and similar software doesn't really show much detail.

Flyfisher...Yes, buffalo mine is just a winedy road...follow it until you hit gravel and from there you will see trails off the side of the road..follow those.

Are there a few Birds up near Buffalo Mine I think I am taking a Newb to any hunting Sunday. I do know him he works with me and is hunting for the right reason he wants to eat the meat.

lbtrapper what's the quickest way there from KGB that's where he lives and I've never been.

Thanks everyone.

oldakcop: Thank you for posting the link for seasons! It makes it so much easier to find and get used to a new land!

sorry on the late reply folks...zinker the quickest way from KGBis to just head straigh into palmer at the 4 way stop light, Mcdonalds should be to the right of you...take a left and follow it...youll see the big sighn....sorry im going without street names, not to sure of them..i recently moved from kodiak

where abouts on point mac do you guys hunt? I am having a hard time finding public land

Went out to Point mac today to go for Moose and left the .22lr at home, and low and behold seen 3 stupid chickens (grouse) right off the side of the road....lucky for them all I had was my .270win so I passed on em...but I know after moose seasen is over im going to have to go back out there and check it out.....where are some good places to go up there that are public land. I have grown up bunny hunting but havnt really done much bird hunting and would like to get some grouse or ptarmagin. Been a long time since I had grouse and I have never had ptarmagin.