Thread: Wildflower hikes

Default Wildflower hikes

What are the best day hikes for enjoying Alaskan wildflowers in late June/July. (Flying into Anchorage and driving to Fairbanks.) Will have rental car, so can't go off the main highways too much.) Thanks!

The two places I've seen that had some of the nicest flowers were hiking crow pass and hiking the mountain trail from Peters Creek trail to the Eklutna lake overlook.

More than anything it's time of year. Alpine flowers go crazy at certain times and you just need to be there to see it, but those two places I hit at just the right times and they were spectacular. Think "Field of Dreams". It was so beautiful it looked like it was imaginary.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    It was so beautiful it looked like it was imaginary.
    Wonderful! We will try to hit the spots you suggest! Your quote, above, reminds me of the vast meadows of wild iris in the Ruby Mountains of Nevada.