Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska vs Africa?

Default Alaska vs Africa?

Having hunted in AK for the past 5 years -both srping and fall seasons , and having just returned from my first African safari , I wonder now why I kept going to AK? For anyone considering a "once in a lifetime" hunt or simply just an exotic hunting experience, I am of the opinion AK should be last on the list of places you should consider! While in Africa I hunted no less than a dozen different species and managed to harvest 22 animals for about 1/3 the cost of my AK hunts (brown bear)! So UNLESS you have a particular species (ei Brown bear) on that list, your money will go a lot further on an African safari! Oh, and airfare is about the same!

Chicken vs. Beef

Apples vs. Oranges

Football vs. Hockey

Africa vs. Alaska....

I never had a "Harvest List". What happens when the list is complete......?

So don't come to alaska, I am sure their is an african hunting forum out their somewhere go join it. Driving up on a dangerous Giraffe and shooting it out of a trucks not my cup of tea. You totally ruin the other tread when I defended tourist.

Quote Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
    Having hunted in AK for the past 5 years -both srping and fall seasons , and having just returned from my first African safari , I wonder now why I kept going to AK? For anyone considering a "once in a lifetime" hunt or simply just an exotic hunting experience, I am of the opinion AK should be last on the list of places you should consider! While in Africa I hunted no less than a dozen different species and managed to harvest 22 animals for about 1/3 the cost of my AK hunts (brown bear)! So UNLESS you have a particular species (ei Brown bear) on that list, your money will go a lot further on an African safari! Oh, and airfare is about the same!

Please relay this to everyone you know. No reason to come to AK!!!

If you want to go on a killing spree and shoot a bunch of exotic animals drive around in a truck or jeep and see visit the dark continent just to see a bunch of animals then Africa is a no brainer.

If you enjoy being cold, wet, miserable, maybe get a chance at shooting only one animal or maybe not and just having to eat a tag with tolerating the 70 mph winds in a tent at all times then come to Alaska.

Seriously though hunting in AK is worlds (ok half a world) different that hunting in Africa. Its apples and oranges.

I enjoy and take pride in finding an area to hunt, scouting and researching and getting to know the area, finding the animal I want to harvest, stalking, harvesting, butchering, and ultimately eating the animal I take. I have no desire to be led around by a guide and shown which animal I should kill, then kill it, takes some pics, and then let it be skinned out, butchered by other people and maybe have a 1/4 pound of meat from the animal for dinner that night. I believe I would feel too much like a wanna be hunter. But thats me, not saying that style is wrong at all, just not MY style.

Personally I think it would be cool to go over to Africa to see all those animals, but I'd leave the rifle at home and just take a camera I have no desire to shoot anything I can't eat. To each their own. Glad you found bliss hunting in Africa though and we'll work on warming up and ringing out our clothes in a cold damp tent all hunting season in the mean time.

I have put a little research into hunting Africa and I noticed the very same thing about the $$, it appears to be far more affordable than I had previously thought.

I would love to experience Africa and hope to someday do so.

I have been living the Alaska experience for 34 years so I cannot complain one bit .

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I never had a "Harvest List". What happens when the list is complete......?
    You build a bigger house! There's over 200 species/subspecies that you can hunt in Africa.

Enjoy hunting Africa. It's a steal by comparison. You can find elephant hunts (non-exportable) for $11,000 - cheaper than a sheep hunt.

There has been only one T.V. show ever that made me want to go to Africa. In the show Jim Shockey heads out into this swamp so full of brush it made alders look tame..after a little bitty antelope that very few people have seen. He camped like his Native guides, slept on the ground and ate their foods, hacked his way through the brush right along side them..not behind them. Then he finally gets a shot with his muzzle loader and it's up close and personal. THAT is hunting...

Alaska_Lanche said it very well above.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Alaska Vs Africa

I'll take My backyard Alaska anyday over Africa !!!!...........Did it done it, and got the t-Shirt. Theres a lot of hidden costs when it comes to Africa, Dip pack, and shipment is not cheap either, I bought a package deal that included 6 species, mainly springbok, wildebeest (both black and blue), blesbok, warthog and Impala. But when you go there you see all the other species you want, and the PH asks if you want it or not, it was wise to carry a trophy fee listing of all the species, Because when you see that trophy Kudu, Nyala, Hartebeest, sable, bushbuck, gemsbok etc, etc.....You tend to forget about trophy fees. If anyone should so choose to go, My advice is to buy a package deal that INCLUDES the trophy species you want....don't get caught up on trophies, because theres a price, it also varies on what country you hunt in also, S. Africa and Namibia is way cheaper to hunt than Zimbabwe, or Tanzania and etc., mainly because the daily rate is about half than Zim and other countries, but slightly higher trophy fees on some species. I know most of all the ins and outs of hunting Africa, and if anyone has questions PM me anytime, I will tell you what questions to ask, what to look for, and do some price comparison. theres some things that the outfitters don't tell you. Its a great destination for families,the food was superb, the wife enjoyed it, and yes they treat you like Kings!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    You build a bigger house! There's over 200 species/subspecies that you can hunt in Africa.

Enjoy hunting Africa. It's a steal by comparison. You can find elephant hunts (non-exportable) for $11,000 - cheaper than a sheep hunt.

I know that you will NOT understand this, you MIGHT someday. I go hunting everyday only I call it exploring........and other than DLP of animals endangering my animals or equipment I don't kill things anymore.

For me just being alone in the wilderness is a profound religious experience, far greater than I ever got in any church. Everyday I hike 3 to 6 miles, with a firearm for the sheer joy of watching and studying the animals, all of the animals large and small.

If you check my profile you well see I am NOT a Bambi. Like I said, I never had a harvest LIST, or a Punch-card, just a deep love of the wilderness experience.

I have hunted and enjoyed both also... you can not compare the two!!
    Africa is for shooting animals.... AK is for true hunting experiance.
    If you want to pay for it you can kill it in Africa... still havn't found that dall sheep guide who will drive me up a mtn to shoot a sheep.

Default not sure why

[QUOTE=Alaska_Lanche;740316]Please relay this to everyone you know. No reason to come to AK!!!

"If you want to go on a killing spree and shoot a bunch of exotic animals drive around in a truck or jeep and see visit the dark continent just to see a bunch of animals then Africa is a no brainer."

You would consider African game "exotic". They're native to Africa (where you're hunting them). Hunting a moose or brown bear in Zambia would be exotic; elephant or rhino in Soldotna would be exotic.

Same old thing - some people like Fords, some like Chevys. I like hunting in AK, but might consider trading a left testicle to hunt Africa.
    Hunting is hunting, whether you hunt the AK Penn, the Okavango Swamp or the south 40 in MO. It's the pursuit of game, large or small, wherever you happen to find yourself. Its natural (human nature) to want to enjoy the things you like in distant (exotic) places.
    Gary

"So don't come to alaska, I am sure their is an african hunting forum out their somewhere go join it."

There is. www.accuratreloading.com. It's African forum is by far the best resource for African hunting on the net. Not to mention it's double rifle, big bore, world wide hunting, ect.

"Driving up on a dangerous Giraffe and shooting it out of a trucks not my cup of tea."

That is an ignorant comment. Before you get upset I don't mean you're stupid, but clearly ignorant about African hunting. Actually for what it's worth you darn well better be careful around a giraffe as they'll gladly kick you into the after life if injured or cornered. In many countries it is expressedly forbiden to shoot animals from or within a certain distance of the vehicle. Not to mention it's considered by many to be rather unethical regardless of law. Many countries it's also considered unfair to hunt around water. If your African experience is limited to National Geographic you'll have a warped sense of African Game. Most of the shows we see on TV these days are filmed on private game reserves in southern Africa or on National Parks around the continent. The animals are habituated to people and have little fear of people especially when in a vehicle. If that's how you think they behave in hunting areas you are sorely mistaken. That's like me assuming the cow and calf moose that walked up to the shooting range and lay down while I shot my handgun are indicative of all moose or the bears on the Russian river...... or the sheep along Turnagain Arm.......

As to the first poster I'm not sure weather he got screwed on the Alaskan tickets or hooked up on the African tickets. My exterience with lower 48 to Alaska is $500-900. Lower 48 to Africa is $1800-2500. He does have a really good point in that Africa can be one heck of a bargan. In Namibia or South Africa you can reasonably take 5-8 animals for the price of a moose or sheep hunt. You could also as another poster suggested do a management elephant hunt for about the same money. When you head to many of the other countries you leave private game farms and go to real wilderness no different than what we have here. 500,000, 1,000,000, 2,000,000 acre concessions. The logistics of hunting these areas, and the animals offered (lion, leopard, elephant, hippo, croc, sable, roan, ect, ect make the price of some hunts well beyond a big ticket Alaskan hunt. So it just depends. A full bag safari in Tanzania for 3 buffalo, lion, leopard, elephant, hippo, croc, sable, roan, and a miriad of antelope from 2000-10lbs could cost you $130,000 or more all in.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I know that you will NOT understand this, you MIGHT someday. I go hunting everyday only I call it exploring........and other than DLP of animals endangering my animals or equipment I don't kill things anymore.

For me just being alone in the wilderness is a profound religious experience, far greater than I ever got in any church. Everyday I hike 3 to 6 miles, with a firearm for the sheer joy of watching and studying the animals, all of the animals large and small.

If you check my profile you well see I am NOT a Bambi. Like I said, I never had a harvest LIST, or a Punch-card, just a deep love of the wilderness experience.

You have to be kidding? You know absolutely nothing about me, so don't tell me what I will NOT understand. Can you be possibly be more condescending?

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    You have to be kidding? You know absolutely nothing about me, so don't tell me what I will NOT understand. Can you be possibly be more condescending?

Yes, I can be much more condescending, but I won't. One of the reasons for a Member Profile "About Me" section of a Forum is so that other members CAN know something about those with whom one communicates.

Default alaska va africa

I knew this would spark some good (& heated) debate and comments! And, I that some of these comments would be based upon some common assumptions regarding African hunting.
    Certainly there are those, in Africa, that hunt from the back of a truck, be it illigal and/or unethical. Just as there are those in AK that hunt while the game is being spotted from an aircraft?
    As for a "list" I went to AK with a wish list as well! All my hunting is done spot and stock. As for being a sure thing, I never did get my zebra even after 3 days of stalking. I stalked my gemsbok for 8 1/2 hours before getting within bow range! My Kudu only took a mere 5 1/2 hour stalk on the 3rd try!! Maybe I'm not a good enough hunter?
    The comments regarding the useage of the meat is a valid one. I did not bring home any of my harvest and only comsumed a meager 2-3 lbs of tenderloin from each animal. The rest was given to an Orphanage and Handi-cap school, where the children only get a slice of bread some days. And, instead of spending several hundreds to freight it home, I used the money to purchase several freezers to keep the meat for them?
    Right or wrong that lesson was one I learned from being in AK and your Moose meat salvage program!!
    GOD BLESS

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    I have hunted and enjoyed both also... you can not compare the two!!
    Africa is for shooting animals.... AK is for true hunting experiance.
    If you want to pay for it you can kill it in Africa... still havn't found that dall sheep guide who will drive me up a mtn to shoot a sheep.
    I agree with the above

We are talking apples and oranges and even pears and bananas, if you include the lower 48 and Argentina into the mix. Have hunted all four places Loved hunting everywhere I hunted. Completely different hunting experiences and different game hunted. Why does it have to be one OR the other. Whatever rocks your boat works for me. But without a doubt if I can only hunt one place in the world it will be Alaska. I live here, hunt here and love to hunt here. but have enjoyed hunting places in the lower 48, Africa,and Argentina as well.

you prefer Africa --good for you.

Default I have no desire to shoot anything I can't eat.

AMEN! Bet you didn't get to keep any meat in Africa did ya. Apples and oranges don't seem to even come close!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Default Acndho

Please read my last post. I did not keep any meat but I did have the option. However, I choose to donate it to the Orhanage and handi-cap school!
    Had this option not be availabel i would not have harvested any of the animals. We are charged with being "good stewards" with that we have been blessed and like you I too, would not just kill for the purpose of a "trophy".

Mcreg,
    Good for you bro, I am glad that you like hunting in Africa better than you enjoy hunting in Alaska. I persoanlly am not a trophy hunter, so I dont belive in "hunting is hunting" or "killing just to kill". I only shoot animals that I have 100% intention of using 100% of things that I can salvage for myself. Good on you for donating your game meat to a needy cause. But, for me, I cant justify spending the money to fly to Africa, harvest game, get Taxy work done, then get it shipped home all to only have something to hang on my wall. So all in all, I think Alaska is a better deal, plus I live here, and I love being in tha Alaskan wilderness even if my hunting trips come up with nothing. But that is my opinon and like i said, good for you for finding some place you enjoy hunting.

I would get more out of spending that kind of money going fishing in Mexico.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast