Thread: dalai lama fly tying instructions?

Default dalai lama fly tying instructions?

I'm new to tying with about 60 or 70 flys under my belt. I'd like to tie a conehead dalai lama in various colors, but am having a problem finding a good set of instructions on how to tie. It seems simple enough, although the few I've tried to tie come out looking like hell. Any help would be much appreciated. Also, any tips on attaching a conehead?

4th step wouldnt fit so here it is: flip fly over and add another piece of fur just behind cone head, trim so it stops just before the point of trailing hook, cement behind conehead and cut off forward hook.
    i know it looks like a childs drawing, but hey i tried hope this works. gotta love the paint program
    Attached Imagesdolly llama.bmp (989.2 KB, 63 views)
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

i posted this a while back and it worked for some hope it works for you!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Someone sent this to me a couple years ago when I was asking the same question:

Material:
    Front Hook 3XL Streamer (I generally use a Mustad 34011 2/0)
    Rear Hook Standard shank ( I use a Mustad 3407 6)
    Weight 10 mm cone + a few wraps of 0.025 or 0.030 lead
    Thread 3/0 black
    Connector 30 lb Dacron
    Body Crosscut black rabbit strip
    Tail Standard black rabbit strip
    Belly/Throat Standard white rabbit strip
    Flash Wide pearlescent Flashabou (Saltwater version)

Instructions
    1) Cut a 6 inch length of Dacron backing material and attach to rear hook using a snell or nail knot.
    2) Place the rear hook in a vise with the hook point up and lay down a thread wrap covering the nail knot and the shank.
    3) Cut a 2-1/2" to 3" black bunny strip and attach it to the rear hook at both the rear and front of the hook using the same technique that you would for a Matuka or Zonker.
    4) The rear end of the rabbit strip should extend a short distance pastthe rear of the hook bend and the front should extend roughly 1-1/2" in front of the hook eye.
    5) Fold the front of the bunny strip back to expose the hook eye and whip finish the thread immediately behind the eye. Cut the thread and lay the rear assembly aside.
    6) Clip the front hook at the bend and place a cone head on the blank shank.
    7) Wrap several wraps of lead onto the front shank and slide the wraps behind the cone to secure the weight against the hook eye.
    8) Wrap over the lead with the 3/0 thread to further secure the cone.
    9) Lay down a thread base from the cone to the rear of the front hook shank.
    10) Line up the Dacron backing material and rear hook such that there is a 1/2" gap between the hook eye of the rear hook and the back of the front hook shank.
    11) Fold the bunny strip back over the rear hook point and secure the Dacron to the front hook shank by wrapping it with thread from immediately behind the lead wraps to the rear of the front hook shank. Cover the shank and Dacron with several tight layers of thread wraps. Trim off excess Dacron
    12) Lay the folded bunny strip back down so it falls to roughly the mid-point of the front hook shank. Overwrap the tail bunny strip to the front hook shank with the thread.
    13) Cut a 3" black crosscut bunny strip and attach to the front hook shank at the tie-in point for the tail. Palmer the crosscut strip forward to the cone. Stuff as much material as you can into the cone cavity and tie off with thread.
    14) Cut a 2" white bunny strip and tie in the front of the strip on the bottom of the fly immediately behind (or better yet in the cone cavity). A rotary vice really helps when constructing this fly.
    15) Add a couple strips of pearl Flashabou on each side of the fly and tie off behind the cone.

Ive been using a slightly different materials list, here it is for some options:

Mustad 92671 1/0
    Eagle Claw Octopus Hook 2-2/0
    Black Zonkers
    Black Cross Cut Strips
    Chartreuse Zonker
    40 lb power pro
    Pearlescent Tinsel
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

all of these are great and constructive suggestions. But, the dolly llama isgood because it is kinda ugly. IT's big, heavy, pushes a lot of water adn has tons of action. SO, if yours don't look like the magazines, don't worry about their fishability, you'll be fine. But indeed it's always fun to make em look good too. The biggest thing is to make sure to add some flashabou or some shiny to it, keep it heavy, and make sure your articulated hook doesn't pull out. Other than that, huck and duck and hang on.