Thread: Stoopid trailers

Default Stoopid trailers

So I drove my truck over to the weight station by Napa on Dowling (there is one on the road to the west of Napa, it is one the right side of the road past the recycling area, you drive on and look across the road on the blue warehouse and the weight shows on a digital sign, how cool is that??)
    The truck alone is 5620
    Truck and boat is 10600
    truck with the trailer attached but the trailer tires not on the scale was 6200
    Trailer is 950
    Boat weights 4030 or so.
    6200 - 5620= 580 tongue weight

A little heavier than I like.

So I go to move the axle forward a bit, Well... first of all Trailercraft doesn't have the proper size ubolt, 6 robbers is closed and I notice that there is a broken spring hanger u bolt on EACH side of the axle

Another point. grade 5 bolts break easy. So I am going to have to either check 6 robbers monday or order them online before I can go play.
    I could have Alaska spring or Youngs gears make them, but I don't know if the bank will loan me that much......

I did make temp ones using 1/4 x 2 inch strap and 1/2 bolts, but it isn't anything I would want to drag to Seward or Whittier

Oh and tongue weight...... right at 300 pounds which is what most recommend
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I have never thought that how much Alaska Spring charged for making u-bolts was expensive, particularly considering the consequences a failed or improper fastener can result in.

As to bolts, all the stress points should be grade 8 and Fire and Fasteners likely will have the bolts you need to get going.

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I have never thought that how much Alaska Spring charged for making u-bolts was expensive, particularly considering the consequences a failed or improper fastener can result in.

As to bolts, all the stress points should be grade 8 and Fire and Fasteners likely will have the bolts you need to get going.
    A few years ago I had them make 4 square ubolts for a 91 Dodge truck I had

That was a bit on the rich side.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Six Roblees on Commercial avenue can make the ubolts you need.

As far your tongue goes, you should have no less then then about 350 pounds and no more then about 600 pounds. The weights are based on the 7% to 12% window. I would shoot for about 475 pounds, about in the middle, in tongue weight

You are not going to like the way it pulls with only 300# on the tongue. You will find it doing the tail wag. What was wrong the way it was? You were right at 12%

Default Your tounge weight

I would contact DOT or Highway patrol.The tounuge weights may vary according to over all weights and vehicle design.
    I had worked on boats for 18 years , my trainer insisted that 20% was required on the tongue, but most of the boats we serviced didn't exceed 35' twin in boards, trailers with 3 axles. Most of our customers drove freeways and mountain roads to get to us at the lake. Too light on the tongue will create some very hair raising adventures.

Default Weight

Shorelndr claims 5-7%

It was pushing the truck in corners too much.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default what are you towing with a 1/2 ton?

Sounds like your truck is too small for your boat. I've seen more an more folks towing boats with 1/2 tons or even small imports (Nissan Pathfinder pulling a double axel is TOO small). Tounge weight won't matter much if your boat pushed you through the stop light.

Default 06 Toyota Tundra TRD

Towing Capacity of around 8000
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

were not in caly.

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    I would contact DOT or Highway patrol.The tounuge weights may vary according to over all weights and vehicle design.
    I had worked on boats for 18 years , my trainer insisted that 20% was required on the tongue, but most of the boats we serviced didn't exceed 35' twin in boards, trailers with 3 axles. Most of our customers drove freeways and mountain roads to get to us at the lake. Too light on the tongue will create some very hair raising adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    It was pushing the truck in corners too much.
    Going to corner worse now with less tongue weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    06 Toyota Tundra TRD
    There is your problem. My wife has a F150 with a 10,000# towing capacity but when I hook up a 4000# trailer it feels like the tail is wagging the dog. 1/2 ton trucks are not trucks they are cars with beds on them. Reducing your tongue weight to a unsafe level is not going to fix the fact that your truck is not enough truck for your boat. 1/2 ton trucks ride great and handle good when empty but they are not the best for hauling and towing.

alaska mutt. Imo i would not move your axle forward. I think your problem in in the truck alone. An idea for you is to keep your gear in the bed of your pick up and try to keep the weight down in the boat your towing. If not just take it slow and easy you'll be fine. As far as your grade 5 bolts there grade 5 for a reason. There made to break instead of the spring it's self. Anyhow take care. P.s I'll sell ya my dodge....