Thread: 20F Caribou

Default 20F Caribou

Well,

I have been "planning" to go to Alaska for several (10 or so, I am now 27) years. Problem is, I have never had the money to put together to get it done. I am finally in a position that I can put enough dough together to finally get it done.

I am looking at 2011, and I want to hunt a unit that will allow me to shoot any caribou. I am also wanting to go earlier than most hunts open, and DIY, drop camp, possibly 5-6 days total hunting.

I have looked into Wright Air in Faibanks, as I think that would be my best bet for getting into caribou country. It also looks like the areas keep getting more and more restrictive, and to get into areas where there are less restrictions gets even more cost prohibitive.

Is getting to 20F from Fairbanks, and back with a single caribou and maybe a wolf hide a far stretch? Or would I be better to look elsewhere.

I just cannot find any units that are only a one shot jump from a major airport, and have decent rules.

Also, is the idea of going early crazy, or better? I am thinking hunting about starting August 1st.

I am also thinking of what would be needed for the hunt. I currently hunt all sorts of big game in NV, to include mountain lions, year round, and I am very experienced in that part. I would mainly be in the need of a decent tent, sleeping bag, stove, and a few other small items. I was thinking more of taking everything in duffles, and using my Eberlestock X2 backpack to hunt with. I have carried lots of weight in this pack, and I think a 300-400 lb caribou can easily be done in 4 trips without overdoing anything.

Any thoughts?

Any other areas I might look into that I can get into with a direct flight from a major airport after getting there from the lower 48?

Although I will be able to afford a hunt finally, I am still not rich, and will have a budget of about $4000 total to do this.

A flight to Fairbanks would be about $1000-1100 as it sets right now. Tag costs I have not looked into yet, and have not gotten information from Wright on charter flight cost.

My plan would also be to have the caribou cut up, frozen, and then shipped to NV by UPS if possible.

Anything else that I should look at?

Thanks for the help!

Marcial

Well, I made an error on the season dates. It looks like the season dates for North of the Yukon are August 10th opener.

I also checked on the license fees. $85 for the lic, $325 for a caribou tag, and $30 for a wolf tag.

That puts me abt about $1800 total for the hunt, plus the charter, processing, and shipping stuff home.

I also got to thinking it might be easier to have the coolers of frozen meat as excess baggage and UPS the gear home?

Later,

Marcial

Default early season

The problem you run into with early season hunting such as early and sometimes through all of August is the temperatures. You could easily be hunting in 70+ degree weather which will make meat care a big issue. If you get something right away and your pickup isn't for another 4 or 5 days, you may have problems. Bugs are another problem if you are out before the first freeze. Bugs are bad enough that they drive the caribou crazy (I mean actually insane, not just annoyed), just think of how they are to us who don't have a thick hide. I much prefer to hunt after the first frost that takes care of most of the bugs, both for my protection and to help keep them from getting to the meat.

Default 20F

chances at a caribou in 20F are slim to none. There are some wolves around but they would be difficult to find in August and the hides would be no good anyway. If caribou is what you want than theres much better options than 20F

Maybe the best way to approach this is to go ahead and contact several air taxi or charter services first. Nobody sees more racks and meat than a charter pilot, and nobody has more at stake (in terms of maintaining his livelihood) than a charter pilot. Let them provide you with as much advice as they will. Give them your request and your limitations.

You also have nothing to lose, and maybe everything to gain by contacting the Alaska Dep't of Fish & Game in Fairbanks.

Kevin

PM sent. Hope you find it useful.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

look into a haul road hunt and perhaps a drop off... heck you could probably find 2-3-4 others on here that would share cost with you to go... drive up etc... good success rate and plenty of bou... or you could fly out of Kotzibue for about the same $$$$
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the information guys!!

I am also looking at a couple of other options as well.

I have contacted a couple air charters as well as a guide in Whittier for the possibility of deer/bear drop hunt in PWS.

I guess the other issue in that type of situation becomes the numbers needed for a person to get a full charge on the boat and make his money, get pretty pricey with just one person going.

Also looking into some other option for caribou as well.

All in time.

Later,

Marcial

Have you considered ADAK for caribou? Use airline miles in/out.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default Saving Money

Since money seems to be an issue (isn't it always?), have you considered free miles from getting a credit card? I'm constantly being deluged with offers of 20,000 free miles for signing up with a credit card. Then apply for a flight about 300 days before you leave. You can even buy some miles - it that is neccessary.

Yes, I know credit cards are dangerous - just use it for the minimum required and cancel before the card starts costing you money. I know United flies part of the year to Anchorage.

Also, using sites like Expedia might save you come money.

I always bring meat home as excess baggage. I don't know about NV but I haven't found a way to ship meat home to NY that is cheaper than excess baggage.

Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by Phil; 05-28-2010 at 17:59. Reason: additional thought

Again,

Thanks for the information guys.

I haven't previously considered Adak. I have done some research the last couple days, and it seems to be a reasonable option. I wasn't aware that there are no predators on Adak. Pretty interesting story, and if a person is not concerned with trophy quality, it looks like it would be a fun hunt. It also appears there are no biting insects on Adak? That seems odd, but would definately be a plus.

I have seen a few posts about getting the 4 wheelers and renting a house. I wonder if there is a possibilty of renting a 4 wheeler, and using it as a base camp, or just to get as far away as possible, then a 2-3 mile hike farther away for a couple nights.

Man, the wheels are turning, lol

Not sure about the credit card deal though. I am working my butt off right now to get rid of the ones I have. Some are going ok, some not so good, but I know I don't want another one if at all possible.

It looks like this could be a fairly easy hunt to plan, and would be able to be done as funds become available.

Later,

Marcial