Thread: Chlorine in water

Default Chlorine in water

So as i was walking to my bait today i was sipping on my water hose, and had a thought. Bears smell 2100x better than humans. Right? I have smelled the chlorine in my tap water before, especially in the spring when they are treating the runoff, so i guess what i'm getting at is would chlorine in my water be detected by a bear and will it be an offensive smell to them?

Elk,
    If they come into the smell of skunk, I wouldn't worry about chlorine.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Good point Jess. This is what i love about bear baiting. I'm all alone and have lots of time to think up some crazy things

Default If I have to worry about chlorine....

... then I better start bringing a plastic bag for when I sit up there and break wind! Now that would be offensive!
    In the past, if I thought I had bears that were really smart, I'd do everything I could to leave every piece of scent laying around possible. I'd wear the same t-shirt for a week while running, bag it, then take it out and hang it just so my stinky body odor was always around.
    If I were hunting with friends, I'd have them get cleaned up good, take them in, drop them off, and then make a big fuss about leaving. Seems like more often than not they would see a bear pretty quick after I departed.
    I'm not sure you can hide all of a hunter's scent while he is on stand. And the longer you sit on stand, the more scent gets spread out by shifting winds. I just hope that most of my scent blows away up high enough that by the time a bear might smell me it is dispersed and he'll think it was from when I walked in earlier.
    I have had bears walk up, look around, and head directly to an arrow I had shot when I checked out my gear and settled in to hunt. It just does not seem like there could be too much scent on an arrow, but obviously there is enough for them to find it.
    Fun stuff hunting these bears. It's just a cool thing to do to start out the summer.
    ARR

That's why I pee all around the bait area. The bears don't seem to give much mind to your scent after that.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

probably true, will never beat the bears ol sniffer