Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt to end all hunts...~~LOL!!~~

Default Hunt to end all hunts...~~LOL!!~~

Ever have a REALLY BAD hunt?

well, as Ive not had much luck with outboards, the last couple being old worn out junk, I hobbled together a 15hrs for our "Breakup hunt".
    Yesterday the ice went out here at Noorvik, and I with forum meber Randy H loade the boat, and as its flooding everywhere, we were out for a boatload of Beaver, Muskrats (Mmmmmmm!!!) Ducks, Geese, whatever.
    All was well as we took off, 20 gallons of gas and some grub later we made it about 15 miles down river, dodging and dragging the small hunting boat of mine across the jams and pices of ice, getting into lakes and sloughs , and as we were almost to the point where we would work our way home the engine seized as we were negitiating some big blocks that formed a jam.
    In about two seconds a large slab came to a slamming halt against our side and Randy made his jump onto th eice as the side of the boat was pushed under. I made the decision to abandon boat as well, but with my M-39 Sako in hand and the ice cartwheeling away, I had a 20 yard swim among small broken stuff untill I made good ice and hauled out with a hand from Randy.
    Randy had managed to grab his travle bag, but that was it, food, a thermos and a rifle with 5 shots between us, 20 miles from home, standing on moving heaving ice that was going about 15 mph down tward the ocean.......

Some skipping and jumping and alot of crawling, I was ahead of Randy when I decided to just swim the last 50 feet to shore~~LOL!!~~ this time with my rifle on my back. Randy didnt wait either and joined me in a second.
    On shore we built a fire, drank our coffee, at soaking wet sandwiches refilled our thermos and waited.....

No more camera, shotguns, .22lrs, all the shells, tent, stove, gas, poles, hooks, boat gear, ect. ect.

Your outlook can change in seconds......I'll never use an old outboard ever again.

About 2 hours later some neighbors pulled up and we were headed home after telling, retelling and making coffee for all there. Lucky we were dry by then, as the ride home was cold enough.......

I like to look at the good things........Im alive, and gonna have new stuff by the time I get another boat together I have plenty to start with already, so

Now I gotta go to the "Shop" and get to it, Spring is racing by and its no time to be walking!!!! ~~LOL!!~~

For now, I'll have to crew with someone else........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

WOW! Glad to see you made it! All the other stuff is replaceable

Oh Ya!
    Randy was a swimming instructor in the AirForce and I can swim for hours, so we were both lucky on that respect, but cold water kills the best and we were only there breifly. Belive me, we talked about the 'What ifs" for a loooooooooong time~~LOL!!~~
    At least he wasnt afraid or panic'd, nor I , just a "Job" to do to get safe and inna hurry at that. We had a good laugh for sure.
    The stuff can all be replaced and we'll surly recover the boat and whatever gear that floats after the flood go's down and the ice is out, but I doubt well have use for that motor.
    I'm going to burn it personally.

Default lucky

Really gald to hear that you made it back safe and sorry to hear about all of your other gear as I know that you work very hard for everything that you have. As stated earlier gear is replacable you are not.

Default Whoa!

Dude.....I'm glad you made it all right. Whoa!

I lost two engines in one trip last fall. I wasn't in an exiting run of ice and water though. I just hailed another boat and got a tow.

Good luck getting your gear together quickly.

Good to hear both of you are safe ! This is one more example of how quickly things can become life-threatening in an instant and how quick decision making can make the event something to reflect upon, rather than a tragedy.

I am sure your family will learn from the retelling and be prepared as you were if they ever have ( as I hope they do not ) such an experience.

I hope you recover you gear.

Stay safe !

Geez man..what a trip! Glad you are still around. I enjoy reading your stories.

Stuff is replaceable.

Thumbs up

Glad it turned out as well as possible. Too Bad about the guns and gear though.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Well Stranger; after thawing out and pondering what occurred, you've managed to keep the right perspective about what's important, along with your sense of humor. Stay safe and dry! We love the stories of your life in the Arctic!

Whoops. Good story, better ending.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Default whew

It seems from your story, a Couple things are Sure Good to Have,

Those would be a Good Hunting Partner and Good Neighbors
    Glad to hear you had both, as well as a solid handle on yourself.

Good one Stranger, glad to hear you pulled that together.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

We got a bit of Luck that time.

The one thing Im glad we had was a life Jacket..........mighta had to let the Mosin go if I didnt ~~LOL!!~~ Really.........cold water is no place to play, even for a minute.

Ive got more guns, tools, "Stuff" and the boat is bound to float nose up and ground itself, everybody knows whos it is.

What I cant replace are my summer boots. German Officers riding Boots , size 10 1/2, the best all around summer walking boots a guy could ever use....~~LOL!!~~

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    We got a bit of Luck that time.

The one thing Im glad we had was a life Jacket..........mighta had to let the Mosin go if I didnt ~~LOL!!~~ Really.........cold water is no place to play, even for a minute.

Ive got more guns, tools, "Stuff" and the boat is bound to float nose up and ground itself, everybody knows whos it is.

What I cant replace are my summer boots. German Officers riding Boots , size 10 1/2, the best all around summer walking boots a guy could ever use....~~LOL!!~~
    OK I have to ask. How did you come up with those?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Outstanding, AND you are mild.

Thank God, you knew what you hadda do, and tuff enuff, to do it.

Congrats.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Wow Stranger!!! So glad you and Pard are OK! That must have been one of those empty, sinking stomach moments out there on that floating ice.

It's those kind of moments that help you get a perspctive on life.

I've done some swimming in the Missouri a couple of times in Jan with ice chunks floating by, once when the air temp was -5 and the water temp 32, but that was just for fun I had towels and blankets waiting for me when I jumped back out a few seconds later... LOL it don't take long for that frigid water to numb you right up.

Glad you and your bud are OK, and make sure you get that camera replaced real soon, because I like seeing your pics

Well I didnt see it happening the way it did, I was noteing the ice, but unthreatend as we were drifting together, and I was trying to use a wrench as a lever, to unlock the pistons by moving the flywheel the wrench was tied to.........I expected the boat to just bounce, not get pushed under like that. My rifle was right there, and when Randy stood/jumped in one movement onto the block, the jig was up, and so was I , but there was only water for me to jump to...so I did, rifle in hand~~LOL!!~~ and bobbed along while I hung it over my neck and then to swim after the ice, as it was leaving me behind, 'cause there was alot more comming. Took a minute, but I was fine the whole time and words of cussing encouragement were sent via a concernd partner ~~LOL!!~~. Randy was dry untill I jumped for shore 50 feet away,'cause we werent getting any closer, and him after me, he did that "GASP!!"" when he hit the chill and I almost stopped swimming to laugh.
    His MRE pack had dry matches and a candy bar, Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!Cant go wrong with one in your hunting bag!

I have been using tall leather boots in summer for years. They are great on the Tundra, and before laces on boots took over, pull up tall boots were the outdoors mans boots of choice, from the english, to the German Army, to Cossaks, Chinese, Cowboys to Russian, ect. ect.
    The East or West German Officers boots are light weight, form to fit if worn new, slip on and off a the door and with grease are as waterproof as rubber boot, and they look cool Besides I pull my Jeans over 'em and they still dont look outta place. The West German Boots are double leather, and high quality, I bought mine in 98 and they still had many a summers hunting left in 'em.......
    When I camp around, I always take spare shoes, and use my winter pacs for spring boating.
    The water was 32 (Not too bad ~~LOL!!~~) but the sunshine was 45+ out there and AWSOME!!! After any Arctic Winter, anything above freezing is Tee shirt weather!!

Wow, Stranger, glad you and your friend made it out of that situation. This place wouldn't be the same without your artic life stories. Good luck with recouping and aquiring new gear. Knute

Default Great story

It was a great story and like the rest glad to here your OK.
    Funny thing here is what could have been a very deadly thing, you managed to survive with your wits and outdoor skills. To hear you tell the story and then in the end your concern is about your gear.
    I have to chuckle some as you seem by your tone to kind of just shrug it off as just another day, which I am sure it wasn't.
    Had this happened to anyone else in the world from elsewhere, you would be on Oprah or doing the talk show circuit telling the tale of your ordeal.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Default Hat's off to you both

I knnow feeling of being straned in a old boat in crushing ice, you don't feel heroic , just greatful to have servived it.
    Very fortunate to have neighbors to pick you up, the story might have turned very different.
    Makes me think of all the things I might do, to be better prepared in that kind of situation. No one thinks it will happen to them, but preparedness is what it is all about , even the ability to swim and the PFDs.
    Regardless of the age of the boat, things can and do go wrong, Having the gear in bags that float and tied together, might be a good considderation. The Titanic comes to mind.
    The very best boat I know, is the bostin whaler , If you could crush it in a hundred pieces they would all still float. We used them as work boats and endured employee abuse better than the hundreds of aluminum rental boats combined.
    as a side note , Might it had been a better course to find a cove and camp the niite, letting the ice pass ? I realize this may not have been the best option when you are anxious to get some where , and the ice flow seems endless. I am not the rough and tough Alaskan you all are.

I hope your story is passed on a hundred years every spring rat hunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast