Thread: Whitter Black Bass help

Default Whitter Black Bass help

Ok, I'm taking the wife and kids out tomorrow and we are not going out far. The kids want to fish. So i thought putting them on some rockfish would be good.. All my spots for these good eating fish are far. Would anyone know of a place close. IE near Pigot or Esther Passage. I don't care about size. Just something for them to tug on there line.
    Thanks
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've yet to see black rockfish in the sound. <10 fathom pinnacles and reefs will produce quillbacks that you can C&R until you find the ones you want. Charts will help
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

PM Sent on a little luck for us.

Cool thanks. Even if it's Pcod or even an Irish lord that will make them happy.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have caught black rockfish in the Sound, they exist Powder Monkey.
    Ak Gray, most of my locations are farther than you are willing to run as you stated above.
    However, if you are willing to mess around over in kings bay there are plenty of yellow eye in the 200' depth at the mouth of Deep Water, Derrickson, etc...
    Last week we had a couple fresh ones from those areas.
    Good luck,
    BK

The fish you will catch in the sound are not blacks, but dusky rockfish. They look very similar except duskies have three pores on the lower jaw. I've caught copper and quillbacks from shore near the cliff, after you exit the tunnel. Point is, you don't have to go far to find various species of rockfish. As mentioned before, just look for pinnacles. There's some good spots going up into College Fjord.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Default Rock fish

Give the rocks along Decision Point a try. You should find some action there.

Thanks everyone. We went to quil bay and caught several copper rock fish.
    They were big by no means , but too them they were wolds records.
    This is what memories are made of
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I've yet to see black rockfish in the sound. <10 fathom pinnacles and reefs will produce quillbacks that you can C&R until you find the ones you want. Charts will help
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    The fish you will catch in the sound are not blacks, but dusky rockfish. They look very similar except duskies have three pores on the lower jaw. I've caught copper and quillbacks from shore near the cliff, after you exit the tunnel. Point is, you don't have to go far to find various species of rockfish. As mentioned before, just look for pinnacles. There's some good spots going up into College Fjord.
    I know my rock fish and I have caught blacks out of Whittier before and not all that far. Granted they are the minority when it comes to catching rock fish there.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Ak Gray - good job getting the kids on some fish - Never forget the first time my daughter gave a big pull on the jigging rod and it pulled back - that look was priceless.

On the subject of Black Rockfish in the sound - We have caught a lot of them out there and they can be a lot of fun.

I'm sure you guys have caught black rockfish in the sound. All that I am saying is, as you get further away from the Gulf and into the sound, the Black Rockfish numbers drop and the Dark, Blue and Dusky ratios increase. This is based off of sampling 4500 rockfish out of Whittier.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I used to fish VERY shallow for them out of sitka. I'd back the boat up to weed beds and jig.....it's always nice to run over a point and mark them.....dont overlook the shallow stuff, I liked anything 10 to 50 or 60'....though some of my best black rockfish fishing was in 250 fow chasing halibut. Big halibut love them too

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I'm sure you guys have caught black rockfish in the sound. All that I am saying is, as you get further away from the Gulf and into the sound, the Black Rockfish numbers drop and the Dark, Blue and Dusky ratios increase. This is based off of sampling 4500 rockfish out of Whittier.
    I fully agree with this statement but not your previous one.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default Back to fishing

North side of Passage west side over by Logging Camp Bay where a small water falls comes in. Or even Blackstone Bay right on the back side of Whittier has done good plus some great views. There is a big falls down getting close to the glacier. nothing near glacier. There are sheep or goats and always a bear to see too
    Heck I caught a 125 # halibut out from decision point in 45' of water.
    Attached Files Attached Files