Thread: interior fishing in may/june

Default interior fishing in may/june

so ive gone all the way out to chena hot springs road.... great fishing on grayling if anybodies interested in the little ponds coming from the chena past mile marker 38. Noticed only a couple of bites on the actual chena. also, ive hit birch lake before the ice was completely off and didnt catch anything or get any bites at all. Yesterday i went out to quartz lake and of course my luck was that i could see the fish wouldnt bite on anything for me or my buddies even tried going deeper with a boat and didnt get anything i guess they are all spawning. so basically what im wondering is where can i catch some fish like rainbows and lakes and is tangle lakes open yet, never been there but i heard the fishing there is excellent when theres no ice!!! well let me know guys obviously mileage isnt an issue ill go from fairbanks to a little past denali and down a little past delta.

Default Little early little late

I am under the assumption your talking this year and this year alone. On one hand your a little early in some places and a little late in others. Ice out at Quartz is normally good fishing for Rainbows but once the ice is just a little to far out the easy / easier bow fishing.
    The bows in quartz to the best of my knowledge are not able to reproduce someone who knows something different please chime in. They do false spawn and do hit.

Again a little early for most Rainbow fishing for your travel pattern. There is a pond in Healy that is GREAT however it is a put and take fishery and they charge. There are lakes on post and at Eielson as well as Clear AFS. Contact each military installations DNR office they will give you the plant data. FYI Eielson has the most IMO there is also a creek called Soldiers Slough on Eielson that has bows tuff fishing :-) If all the ice is out they all have ample fishing some better than others.

Traveling towards Cantell on the Parks back to the Gulkana your main Bow fishing would be just below Cantwell to Byers Creek and the main and East fork of the Chulitna. The Upper reaches of the Gulkana have reasonable rainbow fishing however later i.e. August is much better then mid season i.e. Mid June through Mid July.

PM me if you wish more options and or data.

Best Wishes and Tight Lines

Richard Mousseau
    BMR

P.S. not selling a thing we are not commercially fishing this year

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    I am under the assumption your talking this year and this year alone. On one hand your a little early in some places and a little late in others. Ice out at Quartz is normally good fishing for Rainbows but once the ice is just a little to far out the easy / easier bow fishing.
    The bows in quartz to the best of my knowledge are not able to reproduce someone who knows something different please chime in. They do false spawn and do hit.

Again a little early for most Rainbow fishing for your travel pattern. There is a pond in Healy that is GREAT however it is a put and take fishery and they charge. There are lakes on post and at Eielson as well as Clear AFS. Contact each military installations DNR office they will give you the plant data. FYI Eielson has the most IMO there is also a creek called Soldiers Slough on Eielson that has bows tuff fishing :-) If all the ice is out they all have ample fishing some better than others.

Traveling towards Cantell on the Parks back to the Gulkana your main Bow fishing would be just below Cantwell to Byers Creek and the main and East fork of the Chulitna. The Upper reaches of the Gulkana have reasonable rainbow fishing however later i.e. August is much better then mid season i.e. Mid June through Mid July.

PM me if you wish more options and or data.

Best Wishes and Tight Lines

Richard Mousseau
    BMR

P.S. not selling a thing we are not commercially fishing this year
    Sent you a PM
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Early?

F&G have stocked several ponds around FBKS. Just out at Bathing Beauty this morning and there are tons of 3" bows all over. Give em a bit to grow and get your ultralight out. Did see one pike that was about 5ft off the shore, but he has so much "real" food to choose from that its hard to get em to bite what you throw out there especially when they can see you. Dont know if you fly fish but just down from that pond is Piledriver slough that has grayling, dolly varden(not sure but that or char), and bows. There were a lot of fish piled up right there by the culvert but couldnt get them to grab anything I was showing them. Good luck.

Default just tinkering around chena

Not a hard core fisherman but i like to tink around was interested in fishing the chena river around in-town fairbanks, any info on what to use, when maybe even? I'm a catch and release fisher just like havin fun. Thanks in advance

watch your regs on the pike in non flowing waters....

Default Interesting data Stock Lakes Spawn

Quartz is consider a Class I lake which has no outlet there for can receive non-steril fish as part of the planting program that supports the lake.

Thanks J-M-S-S for the PM got me to asking a bunch of questions.

That being said according to our friends at the ADF&G there is no documented reproduction of Rainbows in any lakes that are planted. However if they are going through the motions and on the spwan everything should be just like nature eh give or take water temps and or quality.

Hope I did nto cob the thread just found the information worth passing on.

Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    That being said according to our friends at the ADF&G there is no documented reproduction of Rainbows in any lakes that are planted. However if they are going through the motions and on the spwan everything should be just like nature eh give or take water temps and or quality.
    To Build on this

The fish do actually spawn but because there is not enough current/DO the eggs do not hatch. Spring time is a great time to target big rainbows in class I lakes cause they are spawning on gravel beaches. The only new world trout (Oncorhynchus) that I know of that can succesfully spawn in lakes is the sockeye salmon which spawns on gravel beaches where wave action provides the requisite DO for egg developement, I'm sure all the other ones spawn in lakes and once in a while something happens and fish hatch, but its rare enough that its not considered successful. Char on the other hand can spawn in lakes successfully, most notably lake trout, brook trout, and arctic char.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

akpm,

Why do they bother stocking land locked silvers? Just curious why the state would spend the money when rainbows seem to do better overall...and in lakes like quartz get much bigger lol.