Thread: Seward kings?

Default Seward kings?

Anyone having any luck on kings in the bay yet. And how deep do you usaully find them this time of year. Kinda new to the salt water king thing and want to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    Anyone having any luck on kings in the bay yet. And how deep do you usaully find them this time of year. Kinda new to the salt water king thing and want to give it a try.
    Not to be disparaging about Seward, but have you thought about trying the Anchor to Deep Creek run? There are some nice kings out there to be had. IMHO you'll have a much better chance of catching some decent kings there than in Seward.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I would try Pony Cove @ 50-60 feet.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    I would try Pony Cove @ 50-60 feet.
    thanks, I will try it next time I am out

Any new updates for Seward lately? What about butts and rockfish this early?

Default Seward Kings

Any updates on Seward kings/fishing?
    AKShawn

I was out yesterday and got one 21lb King and one Silver in about 3 hours of trolling. We were in the Agnes/Cheval area, since there was about a 3ft swell out at Pony. From what I heard on the radio it was equally spotty out there. Fresh King for dinner tonight!
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I was out yesterday and got one 21lb King and one Silver in about 3 hours of trolling. We were in the Agnes/Cheval area, since there was about a 3ft swell out at Pony. From what I heard on the radio it was equally spotty out there. Fresh King for dinner tonight!

Congrats on the King!!! How deep did you pick him up at?

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Congrats on the King!!! How deep did you pick him up at?
    Thanks,
    It was on a downrigger at about 55ft.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Thanks,
    It was on a downrigger at about 55ft.

Thanks, Maybe see you on the water in July.

Default Sat swell, what was up it.

3' swell, I think I saw your boat go by in the narrows this weekend. I was hoping to fish barwell or east side of rugged on Sat mid morning & once we got past hive island the swells just picked up & wouldn't stop. I would say about 5'-6 that just kept rolling with an occasional bigger one. They weren't breaking but the wife still decided we need to come up with a way to get in the boat should we be tossed or rolled out. I guess I can't blame her as I have a console & steering wheel to hold & she has nothing but her seat.
    We waited in Mary's Bay for the tide to switch but it didn't help. Of course about 5:00 or so on the way in when we need to get off the boat the water calmed down & looked like it would have been a great evening to fish. Oh well thats fishing, at least in the waiting & not catching there we saw a whale swim in, a few porposies go buy, & an otter nursing. Helped pass the time well the nothing was biting.

Default Kings

We picked up seven silvers, two kings, and five large black bass on Friday at Pony. Silver fishing was a bit spotty but the two kings made the day more enjoyable. I always run one downrigger much lower than the other and when we hook up with a King it's usually on the lower one.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

There was a good article in Fish Alaska magazine about the King Fishing off Montegue. Sounds like there is a good King fishery out there for those who can make the run.

I've caught a few incidental kings and jacks (sub-10lb kings) while targeting silvers trolling at places like Pony, Fox, Day Harbor, then around the other corner in Aialik and Harris Bay. I do very little mooching.

My take on Seward kings is that you can get into them just about any time, any where. As such, it's good to fish as if they are around. I always run one rig deeper than the others - in the bottom third of the water column if fishing up to 150' deep, but usually no deeper than 100-120'. The deep rig 90% of the time is a 5" tomic plug with the pin pulled (google for instructions). Don't sweat the plug color too much - get a fishy or light colored pattern. The deep plug has accounted for a number of jacks and kings. It also tends to get very large silver, if they're around and willing. Standard setup is a diver out the back with a 6' leader and a coyote spoon or apex, a downrigger at 25-45 feet towing a flasher and hoochie, and a deep downrigger towing the pin-pulled tomic. Troll speed is fast enough to make the plug wiggle then dart randomly/erratically off to the side. Speed is too fast to pull a cut plug, but the hoochie/flasher can go up to four knots, and the spoon up to three or so. Plug will swim well at whatever speed you want, up to 4+ knots.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    There was a good article in Fish Alaska magazine about the King Fishing off Montegue. Sounds like there is a good King fishery out there for those who can make the run.
    was out there last weekend along with many other boats fishing. Watch out for the weather cause trolling in 7'-10' swells stacked up isn't very much fun, unless your catching kings
    Boatless