Thread: Kodiak Is. Duck Hunting

Default Kodiak Is. Duck Hunting

I have 2 hunting cabins located on inholding properties within the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge. I have been renting these cabins with full bookings to big game hunters exclusivly. Recent statory changes and emphasis by inforcement will no longer permit the renting of the cabins to deer, bear or goat hunters.

Both cabins are located in the heads of bays with large stream flats and very high populations of over winter water fowl. Mallards,Teal, Widjion, pintail and others>Also lots of sea ducks. I am not a duck man. As I understand it. I can rent the cabins with a skiff and motor all amenities and supplies to duck hunters with no statutory restrictions. A group of 4 with gear and dog can get into and out of the cabins with a Beaver charter from Kodiak for about $1600 total. Cabin rental will run around $250 per day regardless of party size. Look back in hunting posts for info on rental problems "No more cabin rentals for unguided big game hunters"
    Would this type of sevice interest any of you fowlers. I will try to post a picture of the flats near one of the cabins. Yes there are lots of bears in the area. These are major salmon streams.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for posting up. It is quite the pisser that this has happened to folks just because a few guides got their panties in a bunch and managed to get the ear of the rule makers.

I hang out on a few other sites that are just ducks, and will post up your info. There are always someone out there looking for something different to add to their life.

As an AK resident, I could go out there duck hunting, and then take my deer as well. What if I rented a forest service cabin. I bet there are exemptions for that cause we all know that uncle same doesn't need a a liscence. I wonder how this is effecting Zachar (sp) bay, but they were running boats so they may have a transporter permit already.

Default Hope you can turn it around...

Sounds like a bum deal, I hope it can work out in the positive for you.
    I would be interested in such a trip, sounds like fun for my Chessie and me. I am not sure I could find others that would enjoy enough to share the expense.
    What about fishing, is there any way to access or get fisherman in the cabin?

Hey, I recognize that spot!!

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles your having regarding the use of your cabins. Its all pretty much BS if you ask me. On the waterfowling side, had the season been open this past September I think I would of brought my dog! I could of been duck hunting while my dad and bother wasted their time snagging spawned out salmon. Their were definately lots of birds flying around those tidal flats.

In what area on Kodiak Island is the cabins located?

the location in his identity says deadman bay, which is on the west side of the island. I wonder if the cabins are near the (unnamed) stream which runs into that bay, and if the skiff could make it to some of the other streams like Olga, Horse Marine, etc. around there?

looking forward to the cabin pic post.

Default cabin locations

one cabin is in Alpine Cove at the head of Deadman Bay the other is located
    In Sulua Bay which is the next Bay to the east. Both areas have large tide flats and intertidal sloughs.
    I have`nt seen the sight but someone told me you can get info on duck populations and spiecies for the area from a FWS sight

Default Cabins

ok here is the picture of the cabins. Skiff use would pretty much be limited to the areas near the cabins. I have good equipment but its along ways around the horn to the other bays for the uninitiated

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Sounds like a bum deal, I hope it can work out in the positive for you.
    I would be interested in such a trip, sounds like fun for my Chessie and me. I am not sure I could find others that would enjoy enough to share the expense.
    What about fishing, is there any way to access or get fisherman in the cabin?
    Sounds like fun for my Chessie also maybe we could find a few more Chessies to defer the cost?

Default cannot see any picture of cabin?

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    ok here is the picture of the cabins. Skiff use would pretty much be limited to the areas near the cabins. I have good equipment but its along ways around the horn to the other bays for the uninitiated
    Where's the picture?

Default Where is the picture

SOrry Stevesch
    I do`nt quite have it figured out yet tried 3 times and it did`nt work. I am a bit DUMB about some of this puter stuff. Still trying to figure how to shrink the size w/o reading the directions.
    Anyway what I was hoping to do from my post was to guage the interest of you fowlers on whether it would be a practical service.
    I am working on the Big Game rental issues with my legislator. I will post the results as they develope. If I am out of the big game cabin rental buiz. I would like to hear what it takes to keep a duck hunter happy besides a good dog and ducks. Like reasonable price range, acomodations for dogs, should I supply decoys, blinds. I really know nothing of the fellowship and art of duck hunting. I will try the picture again. Alpine Cove cabin interior has 4 bunks running water oil heat propane cook top all pots pans and dishs 12v lites 16x12 with 10x12 storage + porch & outhouse
    sorry it took so long to get the pic up

Default the other cabin

SUlua Bay Cabin 16x32 sleeps 6 same amenities