Thread: Does shotgun in woods equal hunting?

Default Does shotgun in woods equal hunting?

Hello,
    I have a question re: carrying my 18.5 inch barrel Mossberg pump with slugs while hiking/fishing/enjoying the parks and woods of Alaska this summer. If a game warden happens upon me, will he accuse me of hunting without a license? I was also wondering if anyone has ever actually crossed the Canadian border with a shotgun? I have the paperwork all filled out. I notice the price has gone from $25Can. to $50Can. I gave up long ago on trying to get my (inadequate I admit) .44 mag. Ruger up here. I am just plain afraid of bears. Just hoping that having the gun along will give me a little peace of mind. Yes, I have a huge collection of bells. Been there before with them.
    Thanks all.
    Dave

In Alaska you are allowed to carry firearms on public property regardless of there being a hunting season or not. There should be no problem with the law if you are packing and get stopped. I have crossed the Canadian border many times with guns including shotguns, as long as the shotgun meets there allowable measurements you should be ok. I suggest a google for entrance restrictions into Canada with firearms to see what there current restrictions are.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

You can UPS your handgun to yourself in Alaska. Its legal to walk in the woods in Alaska packing 24/7/365 except for some parks

If the shotgun is being brought for personal defense it is not legal. You can only carry firearms over the border if it is for hunting and competition/target shooting. This is the answer I got a sweet grass canadian side. I was also told to remove the shotgun shells from the cab of my truck since I had a shotgun in the cab. So when or if hey ask that question you answer properly.

What about just moving one way or another. Just short of 30 years ago when I moved north I had 18 guns and they didn't even really care back then.

Default As far as I know

you can only ship a handgun to an FFL holder or manufacturer or gunsmith for repair.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    you can only ship a handgun to an FFL holder or manufacturer or gunsmith for repair.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...rearms-carrier

Default Hand guns in the mail

There is a lot of gray area on that, some say you can send guns to yourself ( yes you can and i have done it many time in the resent past) it does not say you can send a hand gun in one piece to yourself.
    Longguns and shootguns are not problem, but handguns is another matter. You will not get it into Canada.

Going into canada or other provinces there is no problem with LG/SG as long as it meet the min length that they require. You can call them or go on the web site and get more information. Keep in mind you will get varied answers form most of them at the border.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

If it doesn't say you can't why make it hard.Shipping to yourself is no different than say Ruger shipping it back to you (no paper work)