Thread: own bait on a charter?

Default own bait on a charter?

Heard a suggestion of bringing some octopus on a halibut charter. Just wondering how much better it helps to stop the robbers? Has anyone here done this? Do any of you captains use it or is it to pricey? How much would you bring for a couple of days worth of fishing?

I have found that fresh octopus is hard to beat as Halibut bait. I usually catch one or two in my shrimp gear and use them for Halibut bait. Octopus is tough bait and will last a long time.

Tight Lines

Steve

The scent trails from octopus make it very effective as bait. You can throw some herring on with the octopus as well if the need arises.

Steve, I'll try to get some flies out to you in the next week or two. Sorry for the delay. It's been an abnormally busy spring.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Octi is great bait

Octi works great. Tough as all get-out and lasts a few days on the hook. I add it to the jig or herring hook so there is no need to check the bait after a nibble. We also get ours from the shrimp pots once or twice a year.
    BK

Most charters fish octopus with herring. I've never been real fond of just octopus, although they will never get it off the hook. The herring is where it's at.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I agree with Pike, I think herring put out more scent which is important when anchoring. When drifting I don't think anything beats a couple of 14" tentacles wiggling around.

I like squid, too. It will stay on your hook forever and is quite effective. Here's what we caught today with a mixture of herring and squid, and one or two of them on just straight squid.

The kings were caught on troll herring.

How much you bring would kind of depend on how many people you have fishing. If I was going out with one or two other people I'd go to my local bait monger and buy a whole box of it.

BTW---you shouldn't have to bring your own bait on a charter. Any good charter captain will know what is catching fish out there and should have MORE than enough to accommodate you.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com