Thread: Of baits and bears...

Default Of baits and bears...

Checked my bait Tuesday and again tonight and it's been hit both times. I restocked and added (after reading several recommendations here--thanks) 8 lbs of powdered sugar. I think it's a smallish black bear hitting my bait. Tuesday about 5 to 8 lbs was missing, and tonight the popcorn I added Tuesday was mostly gone with about another 10 lbs missing from the barrel. I know there's a big brown in the area since my "neighbor" is only 300ish yards away and his trail cam shows a big boar but I don't think this is the bear hitting my bait. Well, if it is the same bear it's being very gentle but I don't know since I don't have a trail cam up.

I'm going to end up pulling a long sit in the stand to try and guage what and/or when/if the blackies are coming in. Anyway, I brought the missus along and she had a good time and took some pics. Afterwards we drove all the way into Hope and on the way back saw a young sow with a couple of last year's cubs feeding on the new greenery around mile 12. We stopped and took a bunch of pics and she was all excited about seeing some bears "up close".

First one is the mama, about 5 foot. The second is of the bolder of her two cubs. The bold one followed the sow to the edge of the road to feed while the other hung back in cover. We watched them for 15 minutes or so and there were only a few other cars. Whenever a vehicle slowed, the sow woofed her cubs up a tree. They'd stay for a bit and come right back down to feed. She was pretty relaxed even though my truck was maybe 20 feet away.

All in all it was a pretty neat thing to watch.

So if anyone is baiting in the vicinity of mile 12 you might see these bears.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

A couple more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool pic got to love Alaska never know what you might see around the next corner

Default Good to hear from you

Nice photos. Glad you shared. Good luck and hope you get to see something come in to your bait.
    ARR

Checked again tonight and no hits since Friday. I did a syrup burn and sat the stand until 10pm. To be honest I underdressed and bailed because I was freezing.

I did have a marten come in a snatch a few sugary twigs. That was pretty cool as I've only seen a marten once before.

Glad i'm not the only one that has a hard time guesstimating what to wear on stand. I had a marten on my bait also, but never when i've been on stand, glad you got to see yours.424.jpg