Thread: Got a Grabner!

Default Got a Grabner!

Well, got my new raft...I missed my old Traveler but it was never a perfect fit for me.
    Been thinking about kayaks lately, but I wanted something powerable....
    So........I just picked up a transomed Grabner "outside" model...looks very similar to the new "speed" they offer.
    It seems to be a a bit narrower than the Traveler and a bit lighter and less bulky too.

Looks like a helluva raft. No leaks or patches ever. Little dusty, but solid as a rock.

I'm thinking I swung a great deal on it @ $850, especially when that German company is wanting about $2500 u.s. to start for any of their "motor boats". Gotta love Craigslist.
    I'll post a review of this puppy when I can. Can't wait to throw a paddle along side it and to hang a motor on it as well. My Tohatsu 3.5hp 4 stroke is on it's way.

Here's a pic..
    Proud to be an American!

Default Congrats eh

Great boat enjoy and use it well Keep us posted eh! I know there is at least 5 people who are cussing you :-) who wish they would have found that for 800 bucks.

thanks, Moose.
    Kind of an odd deal...
    It was in Raleigh, North Carolina on the Craigslist. At first the guy refused to sell it to a non-local...no shipping...yada, yada..the whole nine yards. We talked on the phone and he said no way. Too many scammers.

I last ditch-emailed him and assured him I'd make good and would even pre-pay.
    The kid grew up in Fairbanks, so we had some common ground.
    Ultimately, he came through for me...He was asking a grand and I shot him an offer.

Oddly enough, I don't think anybody around him locally even knew what the heck a grabner raft is. I think he realized it too.
    Proud to be an American!

Thumbs up Is that a Grabner Ranger?

Cool boat. Several, including Tracey Harmon had some interesting comments on another thread. AkRaft&Kayak, we learned, is the Anchorage dealer. Tracey described an interesting frame AR&K had made for ADF&G-carrying a 25hp jet:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=45112

Looks like quite a boat... and quite a deal!
    Congratulations - be interested to hear how it works out.

Yeah, I read Tracey's comments about the ranger and uber-rare Variant models. Great boats and interesting thread.

This is the "outside" which is now made as a double-ender ala the outfitter and traveler.
    This fairly rare tansomed "outside" model was the precurser to the "speed"...pic attached...
    I'm thinking that both of these boats are substantially narrower than the Ranger.
    The ranger is awesome--but steeply priced imho, and it's more raft than I'd ever use.
    I see that Stid has a great setup and uses his to its full advantage in the tidal basins, etc.

Maybe with the euro taking a nosedive these grabners will be a bit more affordable for AK guys.
    Ironically, this raft was purchased in AK, presumably from AK Raft and Kayak.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Proud to be an American!