Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rebarreling a 30-06 what caliber?

Depends on what you already own IMO. Based upon your stable of guns, the 35 Whelan would be my recommendation. If smaller is your preference, the 25-06 is a great round. I agree that your 300 WSM and 300WM will handle all your long range needs with a 270 sitting on deck comfortably.

Two things to consider. If you rebarrel to the 300WSM, you'll probably have to have a gunsmith work it over to adjust the feed rails and ramp.

If you stick with a -06 variant, you shouldn't have feeding issues.

My vote for long range work if you want to do a little "off-road" reloading (ie, semi-wildcat, non-factory stuff) is go with the 6.5-06 AI rather than a 257/280 cartridge. The 6.5mm has a large long-range following in the target world and you'll have a huge selection of high quality bullets, both hunting and target. The 257 doesn't have large range of bullet weights.

If you're a 7mm fan, go with the 280 AI.

The 338 doesn't do anything for me, but if you're going for the heavier bullet, 338-06 is a fantastic round. I considered it and the 35 Whelen and then got suckered by the heavier is better crowd and went for the 9.3x62. With the 338 Lapua Mag, there will likely be lots more long range 338 bullets coming out.

all the variables seems like they have been covered tho' one thing is forgotten. I recall you saying "sheep" hunting, well it seems the sheep country I am in now and again do have some predators that may need to be giving some room. I'd opt for a caliber like the .338-06 to cover bout most all animals you encounter if the "need" arises unless you are being guided then a 6.5 or the likes would do. I've 2 .338-06's and find them to be ideal as "all-around" rifles without the magnum effects. You have an array of bullet weights for the caliber to be considered, a plus in my book.

I had PacNor do me a barrel in the SuperMatch in a Win.70 CRF....very accurate and had a Rem.30/20" bbl. aught six reamed out/chambered to the .338-06 which is very accurate as well......by Jim Dubel.

I've a 9.3x62 VZ-24 but don't consider it a "sheep" gun.

got me to do some thinking....I'd like a 7x57, have a spare Rem. 30 action "just" waiting for something.

have fun

If you don't want another 30-06, then rebarrel to a non-ackley 280 and eliminate the risk of funny feeding that could come with the larger diameter shoulder and straighter case of the ackley.

280 reloading data is very anemic - most of the velocity gains reported for the ackley come about because the shooter is driving it at higher pressure than the straight 280. Load it to the same pressure as the 270 and then you be cooking with gas. Same for the '06, for that matter.

Shooting long range means a slippery and predictable bullet and a rangefinder. Chambering takes a distant back seat.

.35 Whelen! I say this simply because I want one!

30-06 Springfield, 24" Shilen match grade
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

.338-06 barrel would be perfect. The number of .338-caliber bullet brands, weights, and designs is quite impressive. Not so with some of the other calibers mentioned (except for .30-caliber bullets, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I should have stated what I plan on using the rifle for. I was thinking a long range shooting rifle. I already have a 300, savage, 30-06, 270, 300 win mag, 300 wsm and a few 22 caliber rifles. I was thinking for sheep size animals. I want something that shoots fast and flat, that is why i was leaning tords the 280 AI. I can also get dies and brass for it. I really like the 7mm bullet, but it is up for debate.
    Based on the OP's stated goals and wants, the 338 Whelen doesn't fit the bill. Nor, IMO, does the 30-06. The .284 and 6.5 calibers offer bullets with greater BC combined with velocities that will give much longer range performance in cartridges like the 280 AI, 6.5-06 AI and 6.5 Norma. Even the 270 Win will be a flatter shooting cartridge with greater down range effectiveness than the Whelen an 30-06.

Now some may get their feathers a little ruffled over that, but those are the facts, based on the OP's requirements. The 30-06 and Whelen have their place, but are definitely not the best in this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Based on the OP's stated goals and wants, the 338 Whelen doesn't fit the bill. Nor, IMO, does the 30-06. The .284 and 6.5 calibers offer bullets with greater BC combined with velocities that will give much longer range performance in cartridges like the 280 AI, 6.5-06 AI and 6.5 Norma. Even the 270 Win will be a flatter shooting cartridge with greater down range effectiveness than the Whelen an 30-06.

Now some may get their feathers a little ruffled over that, but those are the facts, based on the OP's requirements. The 30-06 and Whelen have their place, but are definitely not the best in this picture.
    I missed the part where the OP wants "a flat-shooting" rifle. In that respect you are correct about both the .338-06 and .35 Whelen. But for a hunting rifle in Alaska where most shots within 200-300 yards, both are quite nice. The OP will have to decide what he wants, I guess

Default 8mm-06

Why not just rebore the barrel to 8mm-06, wasn't that a popular cartridge back in the early days after WWII? Seems like with a rebore the barrel wall thinkness would still be adequate. Never hear very much about this round on this forum. Anyone ever use this cartridge for hunting up here in Alaska? How did it perform, and what species of animals did you use it on? Thanks in advance.

Well after looking at my books, I figured that the 300 wsm will do everything that I want it to do in the hills. I don't have a caliber over 30 so I'm thinking that a 338-06 would fit in the save really well. I was thinking a 24" douglas barrel with iron sights, a trigger job and syn stock. After looking at the books is seems that the 338-06 is just right behind the 338 win mag. It is about 150 to 200 FPS behind with less recoil.

I believe he changed his mind.

Here's another vote for the 6.5.
    PROUD TO BE A VETERAN

I have a 6.5X55 in a pre-64 M-70. I just had a .308 winchester rebarreled to 6.5X55 and have been in love for a long time with it. A .30-06 would be just as simple to do with a good barrel and chamber job. The .65X55 is a great round that outperforms expectations. You would be hard put to find anything better for sheep hunting.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Just to update the folks on here. I decided to get a 338-06. I already have a mountain rifle "kimber Montana in a 30 wsm." So I figured I needed a medium bore. It is going to have a douglas match barrel ect. The ballistics looks really good on that round.

Just to update the folks on here. I decided to get a 338-06. I already have a mountain rifle "kimber Montana in a 30 wsm." So I figured I needed a medium bore. It is going to have a douglas match barrel ect. The ballistics looks really good on that round.
    Congratulations!

The .338-06 an excellent choice, and the number of .338-caliber bullets to choose from is quite large. It should be quite easy to reload, since you can use .30-06 brass, and there is plenty of reloading data for it (the .338-06 has been around for awhile now). I would not be surprised if your new rifle soon becomes your favorite

I just had a Rem 700 30-06 rebarreled to 338-06 AI. I'm still fireforming brass but it is nice to shoot. I went with a 22" barrel though, I don't like packing clubs around in the woods
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Have to disagree with both of you and toss out the 35 Whelen for consideration.

I didn't disagree with the .338's but if you go one uppermenslike why not 9.3x62 which is a tougher bullet, or .375 Hawk Scovill (wich for sure gits 'r dun?)

Me? I thought the Idea of the .338-06 was just dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by NotPC View Post
    I didn't disagree with the .338's but if you go one uppermenslike why not 9.3x62 which is a tougher bullet, or .375 Hawk Scovill (wich for sure gits 'r dun?)

Me? I thought the Idea of the .338-06 was just dandy.
    The 9.3x62? Maybe a slightly higher diameter bullet, but not necessarily tougher than a similarly constructed .338-caliber bullet. For example, while there should be some 286-grain 9.3x62 bullets from Norma and others, so are .338-caliber 275 to 300-grain bullets from Swift and others. All depends on what bullet weight and construction you want to use. However, in relation to the number of different construction and weights, the .338 has a lot more bullets than the 9.3x62. Also, the .338-06, .35 Whelen, and the 9.3x62 use brass that is about the same size and hold about the same amount of powder.

Default 9.3 x62 compared to 35 whelen

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I'll see your 35 whelen and raise you a 9.3x62.
    Well they look a bit the same , but looks are very decieving.. the 35 whelen case capicity is 71 grains of water,,, the 9.3x62 is 76 grains of water, thus it will hold about 4 more grain of powder,, this is about 8% more, what this translates too is the following. a 9.3 will shoot a 286 gr bullet at the same velocity as a 35 whelen with a 250 grain bullet.. and you have a .366 dia bullet with the 9.3 and a .358 with the 35.. the 9.3 x 62 mm is about the same as a 358 norma.. very very close in power and energy.. some say very close to the 375 H & H , but a bit less in energy and range.. Now having said all this I hunt the big stuff with a 35-gibbs but it is 6% improvement over the regular whelen and closer to the 9.3 x62 It has more velocity thus more range, but in energy it is a tad bit under the 9.3.Thus when people say the 35 Whelen is as good as the 9.3 x 62 well folks it ain't so, accorting to trixie Mississippi, and the chronographs and energy tables and all the game taken in Africa with the 9.3 x62

Quote Originally Posted by Crop Shop View Post
    Making a 30-06 kick harder,drop more,drift more and more expensive to shoot is now fashionable?
    OK?????????? What a paradox - kick harder, more expensive to shoot means greater powder charges and that means more velocity and it will drop more and drift more?????? You know I have been loading the 30-06 and hunting with it for over 30yrs and used it in North America, Asia, Europe and Africa and even at the present going thorough extensive load work for the 30-06 for the tenth time in my life - and when I spend more money on components especially powder because I am loading greater charges - I get more velocity, less drift and less drop. Maybe I really missed what you were saying. Here is a link to my latest article on the 30-06 http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/article...id=mhsp68/3006
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast