Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rebarreling a 30-06 what caliber?

Default rebarreling a 30-06 what caliber?

I picked up a model 70 in a 30-06 for a real good price. I have been thinking about getting it rebarreled, but I can't decided on what caliber. I have been thinking about either the 280 AI 6.5-06, or a 338-06. I just cant decide on what to do. Im leaning for the 280 AI, but thought you guys could give me some advice.

I remember Murphy once saying that the only improvement over the 30-06 that is based on that case is 338-06. I'd be real inclined to agree.

I'd have to vote 338.06

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I picked up a model 70 in a 30-06 for a real good price. I have been thinking about getting it rebarreled, but I can't decided on what caliber. I have been thinking about either the 280 AI 6.5-06, or a 338-06. I just cant decide on what to do. Im leaning for the 280 AI, but thought you guys could give me some advice.
    All good choices depending on what you want to do. Another good choice is the 25-06 or AI. My two picks in the .06 family are the 25 and 6.5. Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I remember Murphy once saying that the only improvement over the 30-06 that is based on that case is 338-06. I'd be real inclined to agree.
    Have to disagree with both of you and toss out the 35 Whelen for consideration.
    Tennessee

I should have stated what I plan on using the rifle for. I was thinking a long range shooting rifle. I already have a 300, savage, 30-06, 270, 300 win mag, 300 wsm and a few 22 caliber rifles. I was thinking for sheep size animals. I want something that shoots fast and flat, that is why i was leaning tords the 280 AI. I can also get dies and brass for it. I really like the 7mm bullet, but it is up for debate.

I should have stated what I plan on using the rifle for. I was thinking a long range shooting rifle. I already have a 300, savage, 30-06, 270, 300 win mag, 300 wsm and a few 22 caliber rifles. I was thinking for sheep size animals. I want something that shoots fast and flat, that is why i was leaning tords the 280 AI. I can also get dies and brass for it. I really like the 7mm bullet, but it is up for debate.
    In that case, the 280 AI and the 6.5 or 6.5 AI are all great choices with good LR bullet selection. Flip a coin and you wont be disappointed.... IMHO...

I have a couple of 280s which I really like. Recoil is very mild. I don't see how you can go wrong with a 280AI. It should be a great set up for sheep/goats.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Have to disagree with both of you and toss out the 35 Whelen for consideration.
    I'll see your 35 whelen and raise you a 9.3x62.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I'll see your 35 whelen and raise you a 9.3x62.

The 9.3x62........................she is a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey
    The way I see it the difference between a 6.5-06, 270 or 280 is not enough to care about. They are all about in the same class, which you have covered with the 270. Your various 300 mags cover the heavy 30 calibers rather well. If it were me I would be looking for a heavy caliber Bear rifle to round out your selection. A 338-06, 35 whelen or 9.3x62 would fit this roll well, so one of those would be my choice. Personally I would go for a 35 whelen in a 20 inch barrel and 1-5 or so scope for use in close cover but still having a 200 plus yard reach.

Get a 6.5x55 and toss away all the others except the Win Mag for big bears. The swede should do for all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    If it were me I would be looking for a heavy caliber Bear rifle to round out your selection. A 338-06, 35 whelen or 9.3x62 would fit this roll well, so one of those would be my choice.
    I'm jealous of all you folks.
    Couple of 280's....etc. 300, savage, 30-06, 270, 300 win mag, 300 wsm and a few 22 caliber rifles. 9.3x62. You guys are KILLING me!
    I'll be happy just to get an -06 back in the stable.

Look into a 6.5-06. Fast and flat. Run a fast twist barrel and you can shoot some nice long bullets at respectable velocities. The only drawback is you can't buy ammo off the shelf, but its an easy handloading proposition.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Well after looking at my books, I figured that the 300 wsm will do everything that I want it to do in the hills. I don't have a caliber over 30 so I'm thinking that a 338-06 would fit in the save really well. I was thinking a 24" douglas barrel with iron sights, a trigger job and syn stock. After looking at the books is seems that the 338-06 is just right behind the 338 win mag. It is about 150 to 200 FPS behind with less recoil.

Brian, does the Winchester or the Savage '06 shoot better? Would it be cheaper/easier to rebarrel that Savage to .338-06?

Hunt i ended up giving it to one of my sisters kids.

Good deal! It'll last 'em a lifetime, I'm sure...

Default What Mdl 70?

Which model 70 do you have - a pre-64, push feed or ??

If it is a pre-64 in orginal condition I wouldn't screw with it. You would just be spending a lot of money to turn an expensive rifle into a less valuable one. If it is a pre-64 that has already been modified using the action is a great start. If it is a push feed you may want to reconsider how much money you want to spend on it.

In any event you are almost always better off shopping around and picking up a rifle already built in a caliber you want to try out than building one your self. Pick up a .270, .280, or 35 Whelen and see how thay work for you. Once you know what you want then you can more readily justify springing for some major $$ to get a custom gun built up.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Be'in a purveyor of tinkerin'

I won't spite you for any of the fore mentioned '06 varients but you really can't deny the long range capability and flexibility of the 30'06 cartridge.

I really like the 7mm bullets available and an '06 cartridge necked to use them would be great. Something that would stabilize the 180g 7mm VLD would be fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast