Thread: one person set up of 6 man alaskan guide model tent

Default one person set up of 6 man alaskan guide model tent

I finaly got an alaskan guide model tent I bought a 6 man for head room but found it was imposible to put up on my own due to it having pins for the poles to fit over.
    The way I overcame this was to buy some 3/4" plastic water pipe from my local hardwear store cut this into 7" lengths.
    and put a piece over each middle pin for the main pole and cable tye it in position.
    Then when erecting the tent I put all the main poles in position then raise them up all together.
    To make them more secure you can secure the poles with electrical tape.
    Another problem I encounterd was that thshock corded hooks that attach the fly to the tent get caught when trying to pull fly over the tent.
    But if you put kids party baloons over these it helps
    I hope this helps someone sorry about my spelling its not one of my strong points
    I hope one day to come and hunt in your great state.

Care to post a photo? I'd love to see the PVC pipe trick.

I pitched an 8man Guide tent this weekend for the first time and I couldn't imagine it solo...

I think I'm following your technique but a pic would be great.

Default Setting up

If you do it enough you will figure out a certain order to install the poles. Half the way though the season, I figured it out. I then took a sharpie and numbered them, so now it dont take much thought. Of course a strong wind makes it a little harder.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Care to post a photo? I'd love to see the PVC pipe trick.

I pitched an 8man Guide tent this weekend for the first time and I couldn't imagine it solo...

I think I'm following your technique but a pic would be great.
    Sorry no camera at the moment to attach the the pvc pipe to the rings I drilled a hole just large enough to put a small cable tye through at one end of the pipe.
    then put that end over the pin that the poles fit over and cable tyed it to the ring hope this help.
    cheers karls

Thumbs up

I like to pre-load the sleeved poles into the sleeves as well, then fold them toward the sleeve from both ends for storage. That helps me alot.

Taylor