Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On safari in Iowa

Default On safari in Iowa

It seems that a local farmers eight year old experment has turned on him and killed a horse, mule and tore up the barn and escaped to raise havac at the neighbors place as well. The subject is a half Yak (Scottish Highlander) half Herford bull. He weighs 2 tons and sports a set of horns that span 5 feet.

Just 4 years ago a local well known and well liked young strapping farmer was killed by a Black Angus bull that was half the size of this cross breed. This being still fresh on the minds of folk here abouts makes people nervous. The owner of this rogue bull called me today and asked me if I would assist in dispatching of him before someone gets hurt. My reply was well if that is what has to be done.....when inside I'm thinking goodie goodie goodie I getsta kill something big and bad.

I tracked him a little ways this afternoon and he has wandered into a thousand acre tract of land that is pretty wooly. I have obtained permission to hunt all of it.

The best news is I just got my 458 back from Wild West Guns today and "The Kid" did a bang up job on it. I couldn't be happier with his work. He even remounted the sight and since shortening the barrel resulted in front sight being off on point of aim he cut a 3/8 dove tail in the front ramp where the millimeter dove tail was and installed the correct front sight. It looks real good and it now balances perfectly. I am installing a Timney trigger in it tonight as I have one on hand and it will suffice for now.

Tomorrow morning its off to the range to sight in the 2.5 power scope and then I'm going in the bush. People usually have to pay for hunts like this.

Wish me luck!

Default Yak

Well good luck, hope you can get a shot at him. Nothing worse than a rogue bull, especially with that type of headwear. What grain you shooting, 400? If I remember right you had the barrel shortened and you might need it in that thick stuff. Let us know how it goes. Too bad you don't have snow. Wonder if he will be any good eating? When I was a kid a neighbor's big boar hog got loose and was on the lam for 2 weeks. One Sunday morning while backing out of the driveway Dad looks in the south field and there he was. Dad stopped the car, went in for the 30-06, rested on hood while us kids and Mom watched. He promptly dropped the pig, put the gun away and off to church we went. Pretty funny now and all the neighbors were glad. Hope your ending goes as well. Mark

Wow!! You da man!!!

I can be up there in about 8 hours. I'll ride back up with you anytime and could bring my 411 and shoot 350 grain Swift A-frames. It will be a good test for your new 458. congrats on a nice rifle, good caliber. Good luck with the project...shoot the bull.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'm bettin you could hit him from there Murphy if I called the shot from here. It worked on that cat a while back and you called your own shot.

I sent you a PM a little while back but suppose your PM box is full. I'm not quite sure I need a bucket list just yet but your on the top of the list.........I'll send you an email!

Surely this "yak" is no match for the trusty and venerable 30-06

Bulls can sure be deadly, just about all the men I knew as a kid were stove up in one way or another from a bull encounter. Dairy breeds are the worst but any of them can kill a man in a flash, even the little ones. We had about 300 black whiteface and 25 milking jerseys and bulls to go with both.

All the jersey bulls were bad mean and territorial but we had one that was the worst of the worst. This bad boy was only about 1200lbs of muscle and had gotten me and 2 of my brothers down at one time or another . . . we were saved only by deep crap and dehorning. We all refused to have anything to do with him and Dad would laugh and call us little girls.

One day I was cleaning pens and over the tractor I here yelling, when I turn the thing off I here “HELP, thump HELP, thump HELP!” So I run to see what’s up and find Dad in the wiener heifer pen being mauled by a 6 month old son of our problem jersey bull. This 300 pound calf had him down and between shouts Dad would whack him on the head with a rock the size of a football.

So here I am looking at a tough as nails Okinawa Marine that called me a little girl getting whooped by a 300 pound calf. Once I was able to control my laughter I calmly walked over, grabbed the off side front leg, and through the big bad bull off my Dad. I teased him the rest of his life with HELP, thump HELP. Within a couple days that calf lost his nuts, his dad went in the freezer, and I was never called a little girl again.

Enjoy the hunt EKC and save them horns, big horns are very hard to come by and valuable these days.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

What part of Iowa is this going on. I grew up there a long while back.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    What part of Iowa is this going on. I grew up there a long while back.
    East central. 50 miles east of Des Moines is where it was going on. In fact they caught him 1/2 mile north of I 80 near Kellogg. They got him loaded up some how. I'm guessing they tranquilized him or something. I thought he might hole up in the thick stuff where I hunt but he was caught 4 miles from there! So no horns! Dang it!

Default Iowa

Grew up in that area. Have seen some big ones get out and go where they want.....

I stood on the opposite side of a 3wire barbed wire fence from 2bulls up at Page AZ a couple weeks ago...and after a while I wondered if 3 wires of barbed wire was really adequate to seperate me from that HUGE animal.
    Evidently HE was convinced it was.

There used to be a Buffalo that I used to stop and see (couple times per week) just North of Flagstaff, and he was the same way. His shoulder was 6" taller than I was. I used to bring him an apple, and one time I was feeding it to him and he grabbed my hand in his mouth...then put just enough bite pressure to show me he could kill/bite/throw me anytime he wanted...then he let go.

The adrenaline then washed over me as I realized how stupid/trusting I had been, and I had to sit down for a few minutes and let my heartbeat slow down. No more hand feeding the buffalo (for me) after that. He gave me his kind warning...and I LISTENED!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    East central. 50 miles east of Des Moines is where it was going on. In fact they caught him 1/2 mile north of I 80 near Kellogg. They got him loaded up some how. I'm guessing they tranquilized him or something. I thought he might hole up in the thick stuff where I hunt but he was caught 4 miles from there! So no horns! Dang it!
    Too bad EKC. I was really looking forward to pics of you posing with your rifle over your quarry. Bummer! Maybe you could somehow arrange for this critter's escape?

Default BS.

I am calling BS on this one. Really not trying to be negative (I kinda see the humor in it) but it is a story to reel people in. The largest cattle breeds in history are no where near 2 tons Simmentols are not even near that size. Herfords are less than half that size at the very largest. The Yak thing is way off also. A yak and a scottish highlander are not the same. A highlander is a very small breed, 500 pounds is common. There may be a mean bull running around Iowa but no 2 ton monster.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    I stood on the opposite side of a 3wire barbed wire fence from 2bulls up at Page AZ a couple weeks ago...and after a while I wondered if 3 wires of barbed wire was really adequate to seperate me from that HUGE animal.
    Evidently HE was convinced it was.

There used to be a Buffalo that I used to stop and see (couple times per week) just North of Flagstaff, and he was the same way. His shoulder was 6" taller than I was. I used to bring him an apple, and one time I was feeding it to him and he grabbed my hand in his mouth...then put just enough bite pressure to show me he could kill/bite/throw me anytime he wanted...then he let go.

The adrenaline then washed over me as I realized how stupid/trusting I had been, and I had to sit down for a few minutes and let my heartbeat slow down. No more hand feeding the buffalo (for me) after that. He gave me his kind warning...and I LISTENED!
    Bison are responsible for more injuries and deaths in Yellowstone NP than all other wildlife in the Park combined, including bears and rutting elk. Ted Turner owns a ranch near by here where he raises Bison. A National Forest Service access road runs through about 5 mile of the ranch and part of it is closed down in winter until late spring, usually about the end of May when the snow has melted off the road. I sometimes go out there to walk my dogs and stretch my legs for a few miles in the spring and that's where and when part of his Bison herd calve's. Usually they aren't real close to the road, but when they get close, the pucker factor goes way up. They are very unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Too bad EKC. I was really looking forward to pics of you posing with your rifle over your quarry. Bummer! Maybe you could somehow arrange for this critter's escape?
    Turns out the big bull got mired down in the mud and he was pretty much done for when they found him. They dug a hole with a backhoe and rolled him in.

I was kinda hoping they'd leave him lay around for a day or so I could use him for some of those ballistic wound channel tests you all talked about a while back! You know maybe prop him up against a tree and shoot him from different angles to see what happens.

I think Jeff Foxworthy may have just gotten more material for another redneck joke.

I was kinda hoping they'd leave him lay around for a day or so I could use him for some of those ballistic wound channel tests you all talked about a while back! You know maybe prop him up against a tree and shoot him from different angles to see what happens.

I think Jeff Foxworthy may have just gotten more material for another redneck joke.
    Heck no..EKC, I see a FEDERAL GRANT in your future on this topic...if you play your cards right (But you have to apply through ACORN and the FFA to get the money/bulls). Remember, if you can't dazzle them with a brilliant proposal...baffle them with...

I swear there IS a joke there somewhere..though...something involving "Yak Yak Yak" and "BullShooting".

Okay all you experts...what kind is this that was up at Page AZ on this prime grazing land?

I PMed you the answer so as not to kill your fun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Aleutian Wild Cows

Ever hear of the wild cows of Umnak Island, guess they started out as Ayrshire which were a Scottish breed that were introduced by the Russians in the 1700s, then in the early 1900s Hereford and Angus cattle were added, lastly in the 1950s Charolais stock, a breed that originated from France was brought in to the island. Wonder if there are any of the wild bovids left after the Umnak volcano erupted in July 2008.
    My friends from the Aleutians used to tell me that occassionally hunters would boat over to the islands where the cattle were and go on wild cow hunts to get meat for their freezers. Now when I think about it that would be one interesting hunting trip. Wonder if they took pics of their trophies afterward.

Read online that there are 929 different breeds of cows in the world, list includes all variations including cross-breeds.

An expensive one! We bred angus heifers to one of them...called them Gertties. I think its St.Gertius or something like that.

Most are dehorned for the very reason this guy should be. Their horns grow in a circle and it's a genetic thing. The one we had would come like a dog when you called him. Never had problem one with him.

I also saw a Brahm/Red angus cross once that coulda passed for one of these!

An expensive one! We bred angus heifers to one of them...called them Gertties. I think its St.Gertius or something like that.

Most are dehorned for the very reason this guy should be. Their horns grow in a circle and it's a genetic thing. The one we had would come like a dog when you called him. Never had problem one with him.

I also saw a Brahm/Red angus cross once that coulda passed for one of these!
    You’re thinking Santa Gertrudis (from the King Ranch in Texas) and you are very close because that guy is quite closely related. He is another breed founded in the 1960s in Arizona though, a bread almost unheard of outside the deserts of AZ, NM, UT, and NV.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Ever hear of the wild cows of Umnak Island, guess they started out as Ayrshire which were a Scottish breed that were introduced by the Russians in the 1700s, then in the early 1900s Hereford and Angus cattle were added, lastly in the 1950s Charolais stock, a breed that originated from France was brought in to the island. Wonder if there are any of the wild bovids left after the Umnak volcano erupted in July 2008.
    My friends from the Aleutians used to tell me that occassionally hunters would boat over to the islands where the cattle were and go on wild cow hunts to get meat for their freezers. Now when I think about it that would be one interesting hunting trip. Wonder if they took pics of their trophies afterward.
    A couple years ago I saw on the news they removed all the cattle from some island down there thanks to the tree huggers. They showed a barge load of some very strange critters like you describe and I wonder if it was Umnak Island. I remember because they said they had been there over well 100 years and to me that means they belong there and are part of the ecosystem. Were they planted there for ships to restock meet on the way to/from Russia, or do you know why they stocked the island? I read the ponies on the Carolina Outer Banks were from a very old Spanish shipwreck so I guess there is interesting things on islands all around the world.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast