Thread: Shockey's Aleutian Island hunts

Default Shockey's Aleutian Island hunts

Just saw Shockey's show on the reindeer hunting on the Aleutian Islands. Very impressive animals and neat looking country. At nearly $11,000 per hunter, though, its out of touch for the average Joe. Knute

Default Deisgned to promote commercial guiding

Out of touch for most Joe's and Alaskans, who typically would never consider paying for a trip like that anyway. Shockey's show is designed to promote and sell his commercial guiding services to a high end national crowd so his show won't appear as a doable option for most average non-trophy hunters. Wish I knew how to guide and had the experience he has, plus my TV marketing skills, I'd be smoking rich too
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I meet him is Saskatoon and we sat and talked over several drinks. Very nce guy. He put it plan and simple. He loves what he is doing and if people are Willing to pay $4k plus to hunt deer then good for him and his family.
    25k for Yukon Mose hunt. People pay he said. He did say he does feel bad for the average hunter. Rich guys have drove the prices up .
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

was corey rossi guiding shockey on that show?
    i am pretty sure rossi is "guiding" that hunt, the animals are not considered to be "wild big game", so it is a loophole where as an employee of ADF&G rossi can guide, since he doesn't have to be a registered guide to "guide" the hunting of feral reindeer.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I was thinking the hunt was for raindeer that belonged to the native folks of the area and they were going to allow something like twenty to be taken each year

I own a liquor store in a small town and had the show on while I was working, so I didn't get to set down and intently watch the show. I do know Jim and another fellow both shot very impressive bulls. They seemed to have a little different antler stucture than caribou, but they were big, and there were several nice bulls in the herd. Yes, it is a shame that hunts like this, and in the Yukon and Northwest Territories, are completely out of touch for 99% of the hunting community. Knute

I have seen this program twice now. Great animals and it looks like fun country to get around in.

A couple of years ago I got to spend some time with a high end guide as an unofficial and unpaid employee. A high end guide is "expected" to know where the animals are, now how to avoid all the trouble you can think of, have the gear that is needed to get you in and out, and "produce" for the client. It takes a ton of time to do your research and even more in money to set everything up for the client. I have never met Jim (but would love to) yet every show I have seen him on, he looks like someone who has "done his homework". Guy/gals that drop 10-20K on a hunt go to someone like Jim because of what he does...if he was a Bozo he would fall flat. I was told that there are farms down in America were folks pay 8K plus for a Whitetail without blinking and many have to be turned away...not in my league! In those terms, 11K in wild Alaska is a WalMart special to those folks. Good for you Jim, get what you can and keep producing (pun intended)!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

11,000$$ for a Reindeer??

WHOA!!!

'Round here, at least, Reindeer are domesticated stock brought over from Norway at the beginning of the last centurey when Siberian Deer and herders failed to produce. They are privately owned like stupid Cows are.(I hate cows, but thats another story)
    Caribou are the wild animals and not privatly owned.
    Yaaaa, same animal and all, just one usually has a big colorfull tag in its ear.........

Anyway, if 1 is worth 11,000$, imagine all the $$ I have saved by doing it myself..........

11,000$$$ each..........might be worth the hassles........wow......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Now thinking about it........I've come to a couple questions.

Fist, since they are on an island, were the Reindeer introduced there to a barren (as in Caribouless island) or was there a Caribou herd that the imported Reindeer merged into over time?

If they were introduced to a Caribouless island, being stock from Norway,having fairly pure Noweigon genes,and probly still speaking a dialect of Norweigon...... would that be akin to hunting Kudu in Texas?

If they were a merger of wild Caribou into a Riendeer herd (wild Caribou that join a domestic Reindeer are "steer'd' and marked with a tag when they leave the corral, legally), are they owned by Shockey personally?

Might ask myself and those who care to recon, since Reindeer were bred for massive antler for harvesting to sell on the Asian Antler market, and selective breeding being the norm with domestic stock, for bigger, better animals, would you be able to claim any on a record book??

I like his shows, he's very practical and does it his way respectably, but I still wonder......

The Prib reindeer have not been penned= they just roam the island at will. On St. George they're big bodied with massive antlers, but the antler is definitely different than 'bou. Whether 'bou or deer, they don't qualify for records, as they're a) imported and b) constrained on an island. They were introduced to give the locals an income opportunity.

Mule Deer Foundation auctioned off one of these hunts earlier in the year and I have to say I was pretty surprised to see that our current Director of the Division of Wildlife Conservation, Corey Rossi, has a guiding business, Great Northern Safari Company (GNSC) that apparently books and guides these hunts.

Not sure how much this hunt went for, info below.

Turns out that since these are privately owned animals that one doesn't need to be an Alaska licensed guide to guide for them. Neither do transporter regs come into play from what I heard. All pretty interesting I think in that these are advertised as "guided" Alaska hunts.

Willphish, these reindeer do qualify for record books.

http://www.muledeer.org/Conv2010/auctions_drawings.html
    FRD – 2
    5-Day Trophy Reindeer Hunt for 1-hunter in Alaska
    Great Northern Safari Company
    Corey Rossi
    (907)746-6387
    gutpile@alaska.com
    The high bidder will get the first hunt on the herd for the 2010 season. For the past several years, GNSC has been harvesting what can only be described as the largest antlered animals on the planet! GNSC’s unbelievable Alaskan Reindeer have been producing top-ten SCI scores for several consecutive seasons. SCI Scores in the 420+ category are commonplace, with some animals actually breaking the enviable 500-inch mark! You will receive a “what to bring list” upon confirmation of the hunt. Donated by SFW Alaska Life Member, Corey Rossi, Great Northern Safari Company. 100% of the proceeds generated from this donation benefit Sportsman for Habitat – Alaska’s big game restoration efforts. We thank you for your support. Offered by Sportsmen for Fish & Wildlife. SFW is a 501(c)3 charitable organization.
    Dates: Approximately – August, late August or October
    Additional Hunters: Please Call
    Non-Hunters: Please Call
    Additional Fees: If additional small game are desired, a non-resident hunting license ($85) is required.
    Accommodations: Top quality full service meals (steak, roast, halibut, etc.) Deluxe lodging (hot showers, cable, TV, laundry, phone service, etc.).
    Transportation: Hunters must travel round trip to the Island at their own expense.

I believe they came from Siberia as part of Jacksons work

A number of years back when Adak still had some bruisers wandering around without much hunting pressure, I was stationed out at Attu. Had a co-pilot for one of the Anchorage based phone companies tell me that the heard on Adak had passed the 50 year "resident" mark which qualified them for book measurements.

Thought that was interesting, but I never verified since I'm not a book hunter (but will shoot big animals if they'd like me too). My guess is the other islands may have been populated around the same time.

Like Stranger said, reindeer are private herds in many places. I also did a tour at Port Clarence Lorsta, and while there we came to an price agreement with the Brevig Mission and Teller herd owners for each reindeer we shot. All they wanted was a check and the ear tag number. Back in 1999 we paid $125/head. Guess I need to tell the wife how much money I saved!

I wouldn't classify them like stupid cows though, Stranger. They weren't super spooky, but they did require some stealth to get within a couple hundred yards. Since they have to deal with brown bears and wolves while they free range, they've learned to keep more alert than say the St Paul herd or others w/out predators.
    Last edited by HuntKodiak; 05-23-2010 at 11:43. Reason: bad day, spelling

Indeed Sheldon Jackson did bring Reindeer over to Alaska befor Lapps were brought from Norway with Deer.
    The Siberians didnt want to lose their market of white Reindeer skins, a valuable trade Item and the fashon of the day. Would be warm yet 'Cool' to own a white reindeer parka to hunt with in winter, with the advantage of camoflauge.......
    Alaskan Summer Caribou skins for clothing come in chocolate brown color with white bellys they use for a contrasting trim and sides of the hood in traditional clothing.
    When the Siberians Jackson brought neglected and even outright killed fawns,didnt speak the language and were a bit homesick, they tryed again........ they sent for Lapps Deer and the herders that grew them into an industery across Alaska.

I dont think Reindeer are stupid(I hate Moo cows), I mean that if they were indeed domesticated, they would seek men, be used of 'em, hang out around the tents, go to the light of the snow go and such. Met some sled deer with bells and all once that way out in the middle of the great big Nopeople....... Struck me as lost ~~LOL!!~~ they even followed us quite aways.........