Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Bear Hunt Success

Default Brown Bear Hunt Success

Just got back from our brown bear hunt! Hunted four days with only two decent weather days.

Travis' Bear

Mike's Bear

... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Another Pic of Mike's Bear

My Bear

Group Shot

Nice bears, congratulations

Thumbs up

Great looking bears but where is rest of the story ??
    Thanks

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Congrats on the successful hunt! Looks like your bear was having a bad hair day.

Nice variety of color on the bears. What were the sizes?

Nice bear. Let's get the full story.

Outstanding...

Way to spare a few moose this year. What did you shoot it with?

Very nice bears, congratulations on the new rug.

Slick!

How'd they taste??
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Thumbs up Nice

Looks like you found a honey hole!!Congrat's on some fine bears.

Default Now, the rest of the story?

Great bears guys, now please give us some details with rifles, cartridges and bullets. Thanks for the very impressive pics.

Awesome. I take it you flew with Branch River Air on the Pen. somewhere? First brown bear?

Default nice

Yes pictures are worth a thousand words but it would be nice if you added a few details for the rest of us to hear about your wonderful success.

Default Details man

Dude - you're killin us. Three nice bears on a 4-day hunt? Details please! How you spotted 'em, stalk details, what caliber did you shoot 'em with, and did they go down easy or hard?

Congratulations on some great bears, to you and your buddies.

Hey guys, sorry for the slow update. Out of town for the weekend. Just wanted to get some photos up before I left. Takes forever on my phone so I will update with full details when I get Home.

Default First Brown Bear

I'm usually the one just reading stories so I'd thought I'd post this one for everyone. Mike, Dman and I took a beaver flight to a remote beach (secret squirrel info) for our first dedicated brown bear hunt. It was earlier in the day so we took our time setting the tent up and repacking our gear. I spent a little time glassing and spotted a nice bear down the beach. We pulled out the spotting scopes to get a better look and it appeared to be a boar with a really nice coat and no rubs. The wind was blowing in his direction so we didn't attempt to get a closer look (plus the no hunting same day airborne rule). We woke up early the next morning to a beautiful day. Mike and I thought we spotted a bear from a high point close to camp in the opposite direction as the bear from the previous night. We went to get a closer look and D stayed back to watch the beach where the bear was feeding the day before. Mike and I didn't have any luck but when we turned back to look at D he was waving his arms frantically for us to come back. We made our way back to D and he said your bear is back in the same spot and he looks really good. The wind was blowing right in our faces so it was the perfect opportunity for a stalk. The bear was about a mile away but in a position where he couldn't see us so we practically ran down the beach.. I stayed behind a big boulder most of the way. When I finally got to the rock I eased up and there he was only about a 130yards out. I put him in the scope and he looked massive. I looked him over good and he didn't have any rubs and his shoulders appeared much wider than his head. I waited for him to turn completely broadside and then I put the crosshairs of my trusty ole .338 WM (nothing fancy rem. 700)on his front shoulder. At the shot the bear rocked back but took off in a dead run across the beach. I worked the bolt and I had to stand up to get another shot. I didn't lead him enough and the 2nd shot hit him through the hind quarters completely stopping him. The bear starting spinning in place so I put another 225grain TSX through his front shoulders. The shot knocked the bear down but to my amazement he got back up. Mike yelled for me to shoot again so I put another bullet through his front shoulders putting him down for good.
    We took a lot of pictures and started the task of getting him skinned out before the tide came back in. Mike and D helped me make the initial cuts but we noticed another bear 1.5 miles or so further down the beach so they took off after him (another story) leaving me to finish the task alone. I thought I had plenty of time so I was trying to do a good job and not make my taxidermists have to work too hard. I ended up having to rush the job and by the time I had his skull and hide lashed to my back frame the tide was only inches away. I had to rush around the corner or I would have to wait all day for the next low tide to make it back to camp. I heard shots and I knew that Mike and D wouldn't make it back to camp before at least 10pm that night.

The wind the next two days was like nothing I've ever seen before. We tried to hunt for D a bear but we couldn't hardly stand up and we didn't think the bears would be up moving. So we spent most of the two days fleshing, turning lips etc. on my bear and Mike's bear. On day four we finally caught a break in the weather and the rest of the hunting is D's story.
    I learned a lot on the trip. Our tent - an extreme weather tent from cabalas (with like 47 stakes) held up really well. We had to set it up in a somewhat protected spot that was surrounded by alders. My new havlon knife worked great even though I did go through a bunch of blades. I know more now about how much work/time is involved in skinning and fleshing a bear. I know that judging bears is a lot harder than I thought (they all look like 10 ft boars). I still want to eventually get one with my bow but I've never seen anything so hard to put down. I didn't pack enough wind proof gear. I ended up wearing fold down style waders and a 3/4 length HH jacket most of the time ( works good but not the best for a long quick stalk). The tundra waders work great but I'll def bring a propane boot dryer for the next trip. For the people that know me there's more pics on my facebook page.

That's all the details I can come up with right now. I hope I di I'll let Dman and wolfeel tell their stories.

Awesome trip with good friends....I love Alaska!!!

Travis

Thumbs up good job...

sounds like you guys learned alot. nice pics, good job.

Thumbs up Great!

Congrats - thanks for sharing - great pics and good story....

Thumbs up

Very nice write up .
    Sounds like you had the big winds for awhile .
    Congrats

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast