Thread: Strip or dead drift?

Default Strip or dead drift?

I am still learning this fly fishing bit and just had a question that I figured I'd throw out there. It is probably common knowledge for you guys, but when I go fishing with folks who say they know how to fly fish, I end up teaching them how to do it

So, I haven't caught anything with the famous Sculpin yet and I am going to give it a go up at willow tomorrow. What is the best way to use this fly? Throw upstreams of holes and structure and strip? Or let it dead drift? Should I put some shot on it to get it to the bottom? And should I use a strike indicator?

Thanks and any advise would be great! Or if anyone want to hitch a ride north to hit the water, hit me up.

I would try a little of everything and see what the fish want. Sometimes that is an easy meal (dead drift) and sometimes they are more aggressive. I would dead drift it through a hole and then try a swing and a strip method to bring it back (strip pause, strip pause, strip-strip or something like that).
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Default Thread Title??

Whoa...I thought something else was meant "Strip or Dead Dift" sounded like an ultimatum at first??
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Dead drift, swing then strip
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I would swing it on a type III 10-12' sink tip with a 3-4' leader if the current allowed. Depends on where you are fishing of course. In the absence of decent current speed, consider stripping some. As with any other time, vary the length and speed of the strips until you find something that works.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default sounded like an ultimatum at first??

Haha, that would be a much more interesting thread

AK- Thanks for the info, every little bit helps!

Default It's fun learning on your own

You don't need no sinking line. Too much confusion with trout fishing....... Use a 8 to 10 foot leader and use enough weight to get down. It takes YEARS of trail and error to figure out what works for you. These are the best days of fishing, Those days can be fantastic. Did I say fantastic? The internet ruined fishing.

I have had a blast learning on my own that is for sure, wife probably wouldn't say the same with amount of time I am out I have been at it for two years now and want to become pretty savvy before my three boys get old enough to tie their own flies on and are ready to go! I have down well on my own trial and error. And all I have used so far is floating, just trying to get that down before I go and try all the other aspects of presentations. Haha, I have just gotten over the "overwhelming" feeling of learning and starting to feel comfertable about what I am talking about when I go all those stores where I spend all my paycheck....sportsmans

Default Yo!

Couple of simple things IMO "However" just food for thought I know bad pu sorry.

Early in the year i.e. prior to smolt out again this is my opion high sticking / dead drift should be the rule of thumb (please note the words should be) ealry season is prior to smolt out so basic rule dead drift. This of course changes with water conditions and your choice of rivers and what they hold.

Dead Drift is still a decent rule of thumb even during smolt out however as Money states dead drift through the section / holding water you are targeting and then swing and strip which as most fly fisher type people tell you nothing beats stripping on the river :0 sorry J master made me type this.

Remember a natural persentation for the ares / type of water your fishing is the most important concept to learn and perfect and as most flyers will tell you in Alaska certain times of the year all the rules get tossed now and again this comes with time spent on the water.

3M has a great trout fishing video it is pushing 30 years old now however the basic hydraulics portion with the i.e. holding water is well worth the 19 bucks or so it cost and will assist you about flow dynamics and holding water as well as learning a little bit about bugs which again has data that is applicable even to Alaska.

Best wishes and tight lines

Blue Moose

Default Good info!

Thanks Blue Moose- I got out to Willow today and although the fish were slow, I worked on my dead drift, swing and strip technique and had a blast just practicing. Stripping gave a great presentation, from what I could see. The water was still pretty dirty still, but it was higher than when I went out there last year. Now, I just need to find some holding holes to put a fish on the other end of that line! Great morning on the water though!!