Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD-45/ 460 Rowland Springs?

Default XD-45/ 460 Rowland Springs?

So here is my predicament, I paid a local shop to convert my XD-45 to the Rowland 460, shop calls gun is done everything is done! Great right? Pay the money and throw it into the ole gun safe. Well life happens and and about 6 months go by and I finally get a chance to shoot the beast.

Well the pistol will not chamber rounds and it turns out the only thing that got reamed out in that shop was me! So my question is: If they changed out any springs in this gun how could I tell? And will it hurt anything to just take it out and try the 45 ACP rounds through it and see how it cycles?

Since I have to order a replacement barrel and springs anyway I would like to have the original barrel and springs so I can swap it back, but I have no idea if they are original or not? Would a COMPETENT gun shop be able to tell by looking?

Your chamber may be a touch too short for the 460 and should have a heavier spring. Fire off a 45acp round, wont hurt it

You can shoot 45 ACP through the Rowland bbl without a problem. If the conversion was like mine, the heaviest spring available is a 20lb from Wolff, and factory spring is 18lb. My conversion shot regular 45 ACP with the 20lb spring without a hitch, and the Rowland ammo resulted in serious slide velocity. I'm sure there's a way to tell the difference between the factory 18lb spring and an updated 20lb spring, but honestly it's not worth the effort; your XD will function fine with either one.

Any competent gunsmith should be able to identify a factory XD bbl compared to an aftermarket bbl. Is it possible the shop just screwed-up and accidently gave you the wrong bbl back? Just a thought...

FWIW, when I got mine converted I got a new bbl instead of opening up my factory chamber. The gun stuttered and stumbled on the test-fire, with several failure-to-feed where the round was pushed nose-down in the mag. This problem only occurred when the mag was mostly full, so I believe it was likely the result of slow mag springs (12rnds of 230gr ammo is heavy) and a really fast slide speed (20lb recoil spring). I've since changed-out components and now use Springer guide rod and bushing that accepts standard 1911-size springs combined with a 24lb Wolff unit. No more FTF, and recoil is significantly less violent.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    You can shoot 45 ACP through the Rowland bbl without a problem. If the conversion was like mine, the heaviest spring available is a 20lb from Wolff, and factory spring is 18lb. My conversion shot regular 45 ACP with the 20lb spring without a hitch, and the Rowland ammo resulted in serious slide velocity. I'm sure there's a way to tell the difference between the factory 18lb spring and an updated 20lb spring, but honestly it's not worth the effort; your XD will function fine with either one.

Any competent gunsmith should be able to identify a factory XD bbl compared to an aftermarket bbl. Is it possible the shop just screwed-up and accidently gave you the wrong bbl back? Just a thought...

FWIW, when I got mine converted I got a new bbl instead of opening up my factory chamber. The gun stuttered and stumbled on the test-fire, with several failure-to-feed where the round was pushed nose-down in the mag. This problem only occurred when the mag was mostly full, so I believe it was likely the result of slow mag springs (12rnds of 230gr ammo is heavy) and a really fast slide speed (20lb recoil spring). I've since changed-out components and now use Springer guide rod and bushing that accepts standard 1911-size springs combined with a 24lb Wolff unit. No more FTF, and recoil is significantly less violent.
    We are also using heavier mag springs now IIRC in the kits. Your diagnosis is spot on.

Well the problem is I paid to have the chamber opened up and springs replaced and I know for a fact they did nothing to the barrel so I have no idea if they changed springs or not. And ya I am an @ss but anyone affiliated with the shop in question need not reply, you had your chance to help out or make it right.

You could always pull your barrel out and put an ACP and a Rowland cartridge in there and it should be obvious if the barrel was reamed or not. IIRC, the Rowland case is 1/16th longer than the ACP...

The barrel was not touched so I guess I will just order replacement springs to make sure it is back to the "unaltered condition" and order the 460 barrel, springs, and rod or just sell the **** thing after I am sure its right. Don't really like to even look at the thing right now, still gets my blood boilin

Did you get my email message? I'm trying to keep my blood from boiling with this same experience.

Never got the message... so I am not the only one?

Gotta admit its a good marketing ploy, it gets you to buy the gun and ammo then be ticked off enough after you find out it wont work to buy the "Fix" .

Man I wish I would have thought of that when I was running an auto repair shop! But I really tried to keep my customers happy. What the hell was I thinking?

OK so its clear dude I sent you a message telling you we would make it 100% right, even to the point of a complete refund, and you were told that also. You chose to storm out of the shop.

Same goes for you to OATS. You got a problem with the 460 conversion, you come right in or call me or the Kid

OK "Dude" if your idea of making it 100% right is charging me another $220.00 dollars is making it right then you and I must have two different ideas on what customer service is.

As I said before you had the chance to fix it and decided it would be more fun to pass me off to three different "salesmen" and focus more on the fact that I had not fired the weapon in question since October. So I asked for my piece of crap (that I purchased there by the way) and I would be on my way.

Also it seems that Oats and I don't have a problem with your "conversion" we seem to have the problem of paying for the conversion and not recieving it. And if you think that was storming out "Dude" you should really catch me on a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Did you get my email message? I'm trying to keep my blood from boiling with this same experience.
    I haven't done the Rowland conversion yet. My post referred to my email request for more information so I didn't go through the same negative experience as troublet55. Troublet, I sent you a private email to find out what shop you were having trouble with so I could avoid it. Now the cat is out of the bag......question answered.

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    I haven't done the Rowland conversion yet. My post referred to my email request for more information so I didn't go through the same negative experience as troublet55. Troublet, I sent you a private email to find out what shop you were having trouble with so I could avoid it. Now the cat is out of the bag......question answered.

Ahh, never recieved the email but ya I guess it is pretty clear of who did the supposed "work". Hopefully this saves you some grief.

OK "Dude" if your idea of making it 100% right is charging me another $220.00 dollars is making it right then you and I must have two different ideas on what customer service is.
    Again, you were offered a full refund. You chose to storm out of the shop. Even after you started your little whine session I told you to call and I would make it right.

OATs there are several shops that buy our kits, including Johnny Roland. Feel free to avoid them too. As you have no dog in this fight, and arent even getting the full story, perhaps you should cut your losses.

troublet55 and OATS, if you have problems with your gear, I would suggest taking it up with the establishment you went through.

If all else fails, PM me, I'm an interested buyer

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    troublet55 and OATS, if you have problems with your gear, I would suggest taking it up with the establishment you went through.

If all else fails, PM me, I'm an interested buyer

READ THE THREAD.....I made this clear already. I'm not having problems with any gear. I have no beefs with WWG. I was privately trying to figure out what the problem was so I could avoid it.

Good. Come in, get a kit, let us do intial install and you will be happy as everyone so far is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Again, you were offered a full refund. You chose to storm out of the shop. Even after you started your little whine session I told you to call and I would make it right.

OATs there are several shops that buy our kits, including Johnny Roland. Feel free to avoid them too. As you have no dog in this fight, and arent even getting the full story, perhaps you should cut your losses.
    Whine session? Read the thread there "Dude", I did not name your precious little shop and I did not in anyway ask you into this conversation and I for one would appreciate you bowing out I am asking for advice not whining.

Refund? Keep it, you got me! That was one on me and I do not want your money.

Now I put around 300 rounds of 45 ACP through the little beastie this weekend so I can actually look at it without my blood pressure getting out of whack so now I just need to find a kit.

Oats sorry to drag you into all this, I guess the whole story isn't out there? Thanks to all that responded.

One last thing, Does WWG run/sponor the whole site or just specific forums? I thought I posted this one in a forum they don't run/sponsor but judging from the mods response maybe I was wrong?

WWG is one of many sponsors of the forum.

If you would've gotten the kit from WWG, GNG, Boonies, wherever, I would've reacted the same. My affiliation with this site is purely voluntary (as a moderator), so forum sponsorship doesn't affect MY bottom line any.

Just trying to keep it consistent with our forum rules, thats all. Hope that helps explain where I'm coming from...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast