Thread: Drift Boat Dipping ?

Default Drift Boat Dipping ?

Has anybody used a drift boat for dipping? Been looking at putting a 10 horse 4 stroke on my drift boat and wondered if it will get me and a couple dippers up/down the dipping section of the Kenai?

Yes I have. Biggest problem was with the completly flat bottom my 16' Koffler began to side slip a bit at times making it hard to steer going upriver.It is doable and as always with caution.
    If you have not tried this boat motor combination before I would try it out somewhere first just to get a feel for it. I didn't and that would have helped a lot.
    Not sure how a 10hp would do going upriver we used a 15HP. I am not sure I would do it again IN MY BOAT but then again my dad bought a boat the next year that has worked perfectly so I don't need to.
    What size boat is it? How many dippers? That would help to determine if 10 hp is enough.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Sculpin

I would test it out first, no matter what. You have to realize that during dipnetting season, it can get pretty crazy at times. You need a boat that can get up and get of the way of some situations and/or idiots. Being the slowest or least able to move quickly can be dangerous at times.
    For safety sakes, test it out,test it out,test it out. Don't want to read about you in the paper or have to come to your rescue if I don't have to.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default boat

Thanks for the info. I'm rowing a 17 foot---supposedly almost all drift boats are only rated for 10hp. I've been told that anything over that will not make you go any faster, and may actually cause you to move slower. I know the trout guides on the middle river can move back up river with 2-4 anglers, at least near Skilak. The boat/motor combo definitely doesn't fly however. I would definitely be practiced before using it for dipping, but was just curious if it's even worth trying.

If you try it out with your boat loaded with the approx. number of people and gear and it works can you really be worse than so many of the crazies out there. Jet skis and all manner of rafts and such. keep your load to a minimum and you should be ok. Just so long as your test goes well. don't second guess and try it with a marginal test result.
    Remember it is a mad house out there on weekends but if your schedule allows going midweek is a lot less crowded most times.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"