Thread: Bethel

Default Bethel

i am about done with my deployment to Iraq and i am trying to get a job anywhere in AK, i dont want to go back to my old job in Fairbanks... i didnt have enough time to enjoy the outdoors.
    I have a good shot of getting a job in Bethel, can someone tell me what its really like there, ive only heard semi bad things about it and the internet seems like its only what they want you to know.

thanks
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

I spent a week in a Bethel a few years back. It's rural, even though it is a hub town.
    I think it's one of those deals where either you'll love it or hate it. If you like being remote and living amongst the native culture, it'll be fine.
    You might try searching some of the threads here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/alaska/ . I think they've discussed Bethel before.

Default I love Bethel...

It's got a LOT of good people...I couldn't go from point A to point B & not chat with someone for a good 5-10 mins...I couldn't believe that I even ran into my old Anchorage neighbor in Bethel, & my across the street neighbor's boy HS friend (who I played ball with) & my other neighbors family members...& a former Anchorage co worker!

I'll grant you, the flatness of the terrain & no trees can be a big downer, but not 40 miles away are the Kilbuck mountains & the L Yukon...

Likewise, there's some good fishing in Bethel, & good bird (ptarmigan & waterfowl) hunting as well...Moose is closed, & the Caribou hunts have declined...but you're not too far from good moose habitat...

What Job you land in Bethel? DOC? If I remember correctly, you were coming up here to be a trooper...right?

Yes i was a trooper for a little bit, then i had to travel back to NY for family problems, (HUGE mistake, wish i didnt do it) but a couple weeks before i came back to AK an MP unit in NY needed some extra soldiers for a 1 year deployment to Iraq, so I tossed my name in the hat and off i went. Now i am almost finished over here, less than a month to go, and i dont want to be in NY any longer than i have to.
    I didnt have much/any free time to enjoy Alaska as a Trooper, so i decided to not go back to it. I am looking at working at the airport TSO just to get me back to AK and go from there. My old platoon sgt works as a TSO and does pretty good and has decent time off, and if I like it i can just transfer to a different airport.

So is the moose habitat over by the Kilbuck? how is the bear hunting in the area?
    Josh

Default There's plenty...

of Moose habitat all along the Kuskokwim...it's just a matter of not having moose...& yes, there are bears as well...

When you get to Bethel, you'll know where the moose hunters go...

TSO, or TSA?

well its for TSA but the job position is TSO, , lol.

So Iím going to guess that there isnít much in the way of predators either.
    Let me guess they (moose hunters) go to the new bars in town? And I guess I will need to travel a 100 miles to get some decent hunting then...
    Josh