Thread: Koktuli

Default Koktuli

I've narrowed down my options for my self guided trip for silvers in 2011. I'm leaning toward floating the Koktuli, however I haven't found a whole lot of info about the river (which may or may not be a good thing). The reasons I am leaning towards the Koktuli is because it doesn't appear to receive a lot of traffic and appears to be a pretty easy float so we can focus more on fihing than "rafting." I also like the fact that it seems to be relatively small water. Anybody ever floated it? How is it for a self guided trip? How is the silver fishing generally (as this will be our main target)? Dan the rock also suggested the Goodnews, but that seems to get a little (or a lot) more traffic. My concern of course, is that the Koktuli may not get much traffic because it simply isn't as good of a trip as many other rivers. Thoughts? We will probably have a group of 4-6. All very experienced fisherman, with most being fly fishermen (1 or 2 may spin fish). If you would rather not post the info, please feel free to email me at joshbaa@gmail.com.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by panther martin View Post
    I've narrowed down my options for my self guided trip for silvers in 2011. I'm leaning toward floating the Koktuli, however I haven't found a whole lot of info about the river (which may or may not be a good thing). The reasons I am leaning towards the Koktuli is because it doesn't appear to receive a lot of traffic and appears to be a pretty easy float so we can focus more on fihing than "rafting." I also like the fact that it seems to be relatively small water. Anybody ever floated it? How is it for a self guided trip? How is the silver fishing generally (as this will be our main target)? Dan the rock also suggested the Goodnews, but that seems to get a little (or a lot) more traffic. My concern of course, is that the Koktuli may not get much traffic because it simply isn't as good of a trip as many other rivers. Thoughts? We will probably have a group of 4-6. All very experienced fisherman, with most being fly fishermen (1 or 2 may spin fish). If you would rather not post the info, please feel free to email me at joshbaa@gmail.com.
    Thanks.
    Been down it 4 times. It doesn't see much traffic. It is a bit of a challenge for folks new to rafting, especially on the lower reaches with log jams. Upper end can be real bony and shallow. Great float, but the salmon fishing has never really gotten 'Hot' until lower down and into the Mulchatna.

The Goodnews is far and away more crowded than Koktuli. If you're looking for less folks, easy float, more fish, there are options other than the 2 mentioned. Shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to offer a couple of ideas.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Call the ADF&G Sportfish office in Dillingham regarding the silver run up the Nushagak (which the Koktuli ultimately drains into) next year....one of the four years in the cycle is in the tank and I think next year is it. I'd confirm this before going up there especially looking for silvers.

But, as hippie said, no lack of waters in the area for what you want to do. I've been down the Koktuli a few times myself, and it's a nice little river. The fishing wasn't amazing but it was a nice float and decent fishing.

Thanks for the heads up Catch It. That would be a real bummer.