Thread: New baiter questions.

Default New baiter questions.

-Is the flash on a trail camera bad to use, does it spook the bears?

-How quiet do we have to be in the tree stand? Is this absolutely quiet? What if I want to put a jacket on? What about chewing loudly?

-Do I have to be in a ready position at all times? What if my rifle is leaning against the tree next to me? Is it going to be too much movement once a bear is on station to move that much?

-Weird question, but do you pee off your stand? Is that scent OK at the bait site?

-Where do you do your honey/molasses/baitem907 burns? Is that something you set on the ground prior to climbing in your stand? Do you do it in your stand?

-It's all downhill from my baitstand to the truck. It takes me about 15 minutes to get from the stand to the truck and about an hour for me to get home. If I shoot an bear, is it OK to gut it on site, strap the rest into a heavy expedition sled, and sled out to the truck and then home. That way I can get out of the woods at dark and quarter out the bear in my garage. Is there anything wrong with that?

-If the kill is in your baitsite area, do you leave the guts in the site or do you drag the bear a bit away before gutting it? Will guts bring more brown bears?

-My last question is about late at night. So far, this bear has been coming in at 1145 PM like clockwork. I tried staying out there alone last night and after dark at about 1030 I have to say I was a little nervous about the mile hike out in the dark. I ended up bailing before 11 while there was still the faintest bit of light left for the hike out. I was thinking about going in with my 18 year old and staying late enough to see if we can take that bear. What do you think?

Any help here is appreciated.

One more question. If I run into a shootable bear on the way to or from the baitsite, how far from the highway do I have to be to shoot it? I know I've read this in the regs somewhere, but I figured as long as I'm asking questions maybe it will save me some time with this one.

Thanks for your time.

In my experience the bears are just really curious of the flash and in no way spooked. i try to be as quiet as possible in the stand, and try to get in the stand dressed however i think i'm going to need to be dressed(jacket, raingear, etc.). something else i do to minimize noise is any foods i plan on taking, that have a noisy wrapper, i remove them and put them in something quiet. And also i keep movement to a complete minimum, rifle lays across my lap ready to go, all i have to do is slowly raise it and ease the safety off. Hope this helps

-Is the flash on a trail camera bad to use, does it spook the bears?

Use this flash it will not effect them at all.

-How quiet do we have to be in the tree stand? Is this absolutely quiet? What if I want to put a jacket on? What about chewing loudly?

I try to be as quiet as possible most times I bring a book along to get absorbed in chewing won't effect them unless your grubbin and making a lot of noise

-Do I have to be in a ready position at all times? What if my rifle is leaning against the tree next to me? Is it going to be too much movement once a bear is on station to move that much?

Yes you should be ready at all times they come in unexpectadly that way you can move slowly bringing your rifle to shoot.

-Weird question, but do you pee off your stand? Is that scent OK at the bait site?

I never pee I don't want to distrub them I don't know if it would effect them but I wouldn't chance it.

-Where do you do your honey/molasses/baitem907 burns? Is that something you set on the ground prior to climbing in your stand? Do you do it in your stand?

I do them prior to being in my stand I don't risk fires.

-It's all downhill from my baitstand to the truck. It takes me about 15 minutes to get from the stand to the truck and about an hour for me to get home. If I shoot an bear, is it OK to gut it on site, strap the rest into a heavy expedition sled, and sled out to the truck and then home. That way I can get out of the woods at dark and quarter out the bear in my garage. Is there anything wrong with that?

Yes you can do that with no problem except have a lot of places to tie because bears are rolly polly one way I found that worked well was lay the bear on his stomach tie a branch that holds the front legs up and then do the back the same way then tie to sled the seem to not move around as much then.

-If the kill is in your baitsite area, do you leave the guts in the site or do you drag the bear a bit away before gutting it? Will guts bring more brown bears?

I always move the gut sometimes the birds or coyotes eat them I have never seen a brown touch them but when you sit your stand and the wind blows right it stinketh

-My last question is about late at night. So far, this bear has been coming in at 1145 PM like clockwork. I tried staying out there alone last night and after dark at about 1030 I have to say I was a little nervous about the mile hike out in the dark. I ended up bailing before 11 while there was still the faintest bit of light left for the hike out. I was thinking about going in with my 18 year old and staying late enough to see if we can take that bear. What do you think?

I think if you want him you will need to stay use a good quality headlamp and make a lot of noise coming out you could entice him to come in earlier by doing a burn around 10:30 or see if he is hitting at more than one time in the day sometimes later in the season a big one will come in during the day and then about 12 hours later. hope this helps.

If possible, do all burns and scent sprays on the ground. Bears can pinpoint EXACTLY where a smell is coming from. If you do it in the stand, they will come up to the stand where the scent came from. They will be easily spooked then.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    If possible, do all burns and scent sprays on the ground. Bears can pinpoint EXACTLY where a smell is coming from. If you do it in the stand, they will come up to the stand where the scent came from. They will be easily spooked then.
    So Will I!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    So Will I!!
    That's funny. I wouldn't worry about them trying to get in the stand. They'll come up pretty catiously and try and see what's in the stand. I've spooked a couple bears because my burn came from the stand and the bears came to it and saw me and wandered off without looking at the bait.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.