Thread: Returning female Spot Shrimp to the water

Default Returning female Spot Shrimp to the water

Reference a thread from a couple weeks ago... The State conducted a test which revealed that Spot shrimp could be returned to the water after harvesting. They streamer tagged 900 plus shrimp, then recaught some of the same shrimp later. So, if you want to drop the eggers back, feel free.

that's a good idea

Default eggers

is anyone catching eggers yet? I have pulled about 600 shrimp from PWS this year and no eggers yet.

Default Yes

Yes I get eggers all season. More towards fall, but still get them. Funny though, can't remember getting any eggs on the coon stripe shrimp.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Got a few with eggs attached last week while out.
    BK

I think all big spot shrimp are females. They are born male and then switch upon reaching a certain size. Regardless of the presence of eggs, the big spots you pull in are ladies. This isnt to say I wouldnt keep big ones personally, and kudos to those throwing back shrimp with eggs. Sometimes they are tough to see!

I don't see any biological reason to release the females that have eggs. If the assertion is that the females are the breaders and releasing them will increase production then you must agree that all large shrimp should be released because they are all females.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Yes I get eggers all season. More towards fall, but still get them. Funny though, can't remember getting any eggs on the coon stripe shrimp.
    We've noticed that while the four-spots tend to carry large quantities of orange eggs beneath the tail, all the female stripes we've pulled have had smaller quantities of green-blue eggs located within the shell around the midsection, further forward than the tail.

But I'm no biologist....