Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleas, fleas, fleas

Default Fleas, fleas, fleas

I just got back from a hunt with a friend and he ended up harvesting a nice 8ft brownie. We started skinning it and it didn't take long to figure out that this guy was infested with fleas. I had raingear on and they didn't seem to bother me but my friend was covered in them. We froze the hide for 4 days and pulled it out last night so it would thaw enough to be sealed. Well the hide is in a game bag the then in a Rubbermaid tote and when we opened the tote this morning there they were all over the top of the game bag. So my question is HOW IN THE H&%* DO WE GET RID OF FLEAS. one thought was to drop a bug bomb in the tote, yet another was to pour white gas in the bottom of the tote (not on the hide) and let the fumes kill the bugs. HELP!

Though I have never tried it on bear, I have used dog & cat flea powder on coyotes (yeah dead ones). It seemed to help.

WhiteFish

The fleas are trying to leave...they have no food without a host. Spread the hide out and they will hop away on their own.

Carbon monoxide should kill em, put the hide in a bag and run a hose from the lawn mower exhaust. Make the hose long enough so the exhaust is cool.

Thumbs up

Same as ticks and crabs, use an ice pick.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    The fleas are trying to leave...they have no food without a host. Spread the hide out and they will hop away on their own.

Carbon monoxide should kill em, put the hide in a bag and run a hose from the lawn mower exhaust. Make the hose long enough so the exhaust is cool.
    I like this idea now how about a bottle of co2, let it fill the rubbermaid up and put the lid on and let them die, Co2 acts the same as water it will fill the container up the same.
    If it doesn't sufficate them watch out you might have some super bugs on your hands!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Try using red cedar chips. Fleas don't like the smell of cedar. Most pet stores or the pet section at Walmart should have them. Knute

Not sure if a ice pick is big enough, these fleas are tough! The only way we could kill them out there was between two knives or rocks.

257- not sure if I want them hopping away ( at least not in my neighborhood). The carbon monoxide trick might be worth a try. After we got the hide out of the woods we stretched it out on the beach and made a little fire about 10yds upwind and put on a bunch of moss and the hide came alive with the little buggers trying flea the area I guess it didn't get rid of all of them. I would have to say I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone but hey we got a nice bear.

ADF&G guys here have never seen it nither has a bear guide that I know that has pulled quite a few bears out of the same area.

I've harvested both brown/black bear and havent noticed any fleas or atleast in a large abundance but now I'm gonna have to start checkin'...Thanks for the heads up.

If they have them there will be no need to check for them, they will find you!

Flea powder usually does the trick. The raid bug bomb would do it too! Just careful to keep the hide cold whatever you do, as you don't want the hair slipping. You could, too, just salt it really well, roll it up and bring it to the taxidermist .

Takes about 2 weeks to kill fleas in the freezer
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Look in the trapping forum

There has been lots of discussion there. Bug bombs, Raid, Buhach, and flea powder are all mentioned.
    They seem to do pretty well frozen, thawed, frozen, and thawed. They are tough. If you want them dead go with the bug killers.

I never did deal with fleas, it was the MONSTER HUGE Lice that had my attention..........they can't live on people, but they are creepy nonetheless.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Flea killer

How about the stuff you put on the back of your dog's or cat's neck? Advantage, I think it's called.

Ice pick...doesn't this also require a razor and lighter fluid? Ah, yes, I remember a girl once....

257wby is right. They are leaving the host. Put the skin in least favorite neighbor's yard.

Freezing will kill them. Need a prolonged period of time, though. Cedar will repel them, I think, not kill them.

Congrats on the bear!!!

emrdux

Default One way to kill flees

Sorry I thought this was so funny I had to sign up and comment. Altitude will kill fleas. Here at 7500' there is no flea problem. The biggest problem you have is that you don,t have any place to go to to get above 7000'. If you are flying try to get the pilot to go above 7500' for 10-15 min. That will kill all of the fleas. have the hide in a bag open to the air a little Will not do anything for ticks. Bummer. Flee spray in a sealed tote will work if you can get enough in before sealing & wait for it to dissipate through the hair down to the skin. I don't know what it will do to the hide. I would think that you could do the same thing as the altitude with dry ice in a sealed tote. Put hide in tote, place a small can with some water in tote, then place about 1/2 lb of dry ice carefully in the water (the water will make it fog, maybe violently, so watch out ), then seal tote with a small leak so the oxygen can be displaced by the CO2. Let sit for as long as you can 1 or more hours then insert arm and see what happens. Sounds like fun. Or just run over a 11,000' pass & that will do it to.

Cary

Question

What Unit/Location was this bear taken in? Be interesting to track the advancement of fleas throughout the state.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Freeze for a week

If you can freeze in a freezer for a week or so it will kill them, I have done it with a black bear. Those bear fleas are big and tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    Try using red cedar chips. Fleas don't like the smell of cedar. Most pet stores or the pet section at Walmart should have them. Knute

true this is the reason most dog beds have them embedded in the cushion!

Default Another thought or two

The idea about Advantage will not work. When you put the drops on your dog the Advantage works by poisoning your dog whose blood then kills the fleas. What you need to do is place the Advantage on the bear a couple of weeks b4 you shoot him. Please let me know if that works, how many tubes it took, and how you did it. If you Advantage on a bear who really has the advantage? I think that if you talked very nice to the bear and told him you were there to help it would go OK. After all that works for the government right?

Something that would work on a smaller hide would be to go get a king size storage bag that uses a vacuum to suck all the air out of the bag to compress it for storage. The down side to that is if you use your wives vacuum and you get fleas in it that then get into the house you are going to hear about it.

Cary

Thanks for all the replies. We ended up getting some citric acid flea spray ($27 a can). It seemed to work fairly well even though we never pulled the hide completely out of the bag. When my friend brought the hide down to ADF&G to get it sealed first he pulled the tote containing the bear out of the car then put on his rain gear and started tapeing up the leg cuffs and arm cuffs. You should have seen the eyes of the other guys getting bears seals and the biologist. When we opened the game bag there where thousands of them on the inside of the bag. The biologist said he has never seen anything like it and took some samples, that one of his colleges requested. I will have to say that probably for the rest of my life whenever someone mentions fleas I will start itching like a mad man.

The bear was taken in unit 4.

I will do a write up in a few days when the itching subsides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast