View Poll Results: Are heavy for caliber bullet weights obsolete?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep...dead as fried chicken. Tough bullets are champs.

4 14.29%
  • No way... more lead=more dead, copper is a fad

20 71.43%
  • Unsure and on the fence...and it chafes.

4 14.29%

Thread: More Effective Bullets?

Default More Effective Bullets?

I was doing some reading the other day and the author made the statement that the newer controlled expansion bullets have made the long, heavy for caliber slugs obsolete. He specifically stated the .30cal rounds like the 165 and 180 gr TSX and TBBC (although I assume we could be discussing any similar rounds) have replaced any need for a 220gr RN.

When I shop for ammo I rarely see any 220gr .30cal ammo or any .338 ammo heavier than 225gr. although both used to be very common on the shelves. I do find plenty of controlled expansion ammo in lighter weights though.

From what I've read, many of these controlled expansion bullets don't expand when velocity drops off. Not everyone is shooting the ubermags and bullet performance at long ranges with 308 or 30/06 type velocities can be more like fmj than soft nose. I think the cup and core bullet will be around for quite a while unless they are outlawed or the animals actually become as bullet proof as some people think they already have.

Hard to find any truer words than above.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Well, my answer is as follows: a lighter and tough bullet is a good compromise to a heavy-per-caliber bullet, but it can't make the heavier bullet obsolete, unless the laws of physics relating to SD are thrown out the window. For example, a .338-caliber 250-grain TSX has a greater potential for penetration than a .338-caliber 225-grain TSX. This is true for all calibers (of two similarly constructed bullets of the same caliber, the one with the greatest SD has the potential for deeper penetration).

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    From what I've read, many of these controlled expansion bullets don't expand when velocity drops off. Not everyone is shooting the ubermags and bullet performance at long ranges with 308 or 30/06 type velocities can be more like fmj than soft nose. I think the cup and core bullet will be around for quite a while unless they are outlawed or the animals actually become as bullet proof as some people think they already have.
    I agree with rbuck351.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

+3 with rbuck351

I just got some 320gr 9.3 Woodleigh RN's which should be good for a blistering 2150fps out of my 9.3x74R. I wouldn't want to catch one.
    Afflicted by condition human

You've got to understand the fact that the writers are out to sell magazines AND bullets for the companys that sponsor them.. (think $$$) They create the need by lureing you into the "Magnum of the Month" Craze and the latest greatest new fangled do hickey so they can get you away from your money. Plain and simple.
    There is still nothing better than the person squeezing the trigger and no new monolithic bullet will make that any better.