Thread: Raft trip from Cooperslanding to skilak rd

Default Raft trip from Cooperslanding to skilak rd

I am new to rafting the slow river on my own and will be back in the country in a few weeks. I wanted to do a short trip from Coopers Landing to the Pickup point and Skilak rd there is a small parking lot there that we used before. We have a 14 NRS bucket boat and will be getting a rowing frame put together when I get back. The plan was to raft for a couple days fish, camp and spend time with the family. Is there anything that I should be concerned with on the river, i.e. not passable, rapids that I am not qualified for yet, just looking for a nice easy fishing and living life with the family trip.
    This is a route that I made to make it more understanding.

Thanks for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I am new to rafting the slow river on my own and will be back in the country in a few weeks. I wanted to do a short trip from Coopers Landing to the Pickup point and Skilak rd there is a small parking lot there that we used before. We have a 14 NRS bucket boat and will be getting a rowing frame put together when I get back. The plan was to raft for a couple days fish, camp and spend time with the family. Is there anything that I should be concerned with on the river, i.e. not passable, rapids that I am not qualified for yet, just looking for a nice easy fishing and living life with the family trip.
    This is a route that I made to make it more understanding.

Thanks for the help

So your going from the bridge to Jims landing I take it and not going accross skilak lake?

If so there is not alot there to be worried about. The rapids just below the princess lodge are a piece of cake. Just run down the center of them and enjoy a little rocking and rolling. Most of the time there is not even much of a splash there.

The only other place to think about is schooner bend. It is just after you cross under the highway bridge. On the left side after you round it has some big rocks and serious waves. Just hug the inside corner on the right. there is plenty of room to hug it and you will not have any problems at all. My wife and I run the edge of the white water there in my cat with no problems. If you stay to the right is just just a slow smooth ride around the bend. Other than that, just look out for brown and black fuzzy critters and enjoy your time with the family on the water
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

first I don't know if I'd call the kenai river slow. The little sue now that is slow. The landing you are talking about is called Jims Landing. You can also get out at Sportsmans . That's near the Russian river area. Lots of fisherman only float from sportsmans to jims so they have more time fishing and less floating. The trip from the lake down is great and you should not have much problem.There are really only two places that you need to watch for. The first is Princess shoot which is right below Princess lodge on the bluff. It is about a mile down from the lake start, just hit the middle of it and have fun. Then after you go under the hwy bridge the next bend is Schooner bend. There are a couple big rocks to miss but river right and you should have no problems. Always watch for sweepers as they can happen along the banks of any river and stay away from them for sure. The river is wide enough that this isn't a big problem. As safe and fun as the river is always make the family wear their PFD as there have been a number of people on this river that with a PFD they would still be here to float another day.

I did the same trip last week. Here's my trip report http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=80126

Have fun and welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    first I don't know if I'd call the kenai river slow. The little sue now that is slow. The landing you are talking about is called Jims Landing. You can also get out at Sportsmans . That's near the Russian river area. Lots of fisherman only float from sportsmans to jims so they have more time fishing and less floating. The trip from the lake down is great and you should not have much problem.There are really only two places that you need to watch for. The first is Princess shoot which is right below Princess lodge on the bluff. It is about a mile down from the lake start, just hit the middle of it and have fun. Then after you go under the hwy bridge the next bend is Schooner bend. There are a couple big rocks to miss but river right and you should have no problems. Always watch for sweepers as they can happen along the banks of any river and stay away from them for sure. The river is wide enough that this isn't a big problem. As safe and fun as the river is always make the family wear their PFD as there have been a number of people on this river that with a PFD they would still be here to float another day.

Really???????????

Default One more thing...

Everything the other folks have said is good info and right on. I would just add one more thing to watch out for. Some of the back channels closer towards Jim's Landing may have log jams in them, and in from time to time the logs can block off the whole channel, which can munch a raft pretty quick. I have not floated it yet this year but perhaps someone who has can comment on if there are any log jams in the back channels. Of course, if you are just a beginner, if you stay in the main current you don't need to be concerned about it. Have fun.

I was tempted to poke my nose in a couple, but decided against it at the last moments. Unless the water has come up since last week, most of them will pretty boney (low water). I was on my own and didn't relish dragging or portaging around something I couldn't see at the entrance.

Just stay in the main channels if it's your first float. The main channels will b obvious...the back channels not so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishnmagician View Post
    Everything the other folks have said is good info and right on. I would just add one more thing to watch out for. Some of the back channels closer towards Jim's Landing may have log jams in them, and in from time to time the logs can block off the whole channel, which can munch a raft pretty quick. I have not floated it yet this year but perhaps someone who has can comment on if there are any log jams in the back channels. Of course, if you are just a beginner, if you stay in the main current you don't need to be concerned about it. Have fun.

My wife and I run alot of those channels. We dont and wont do them untill we see boats coming out of them with no problems. Usually after the first run opening weekend we know what is safe and unsafe. It will get posted here

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Really???????????
    Hay Man It looks like I just rewrote your words, but I was typing the same time as you and your faster @ the keys. So what can I say but ,ya Really!

Thanks guys, i won't be back for a few weeks yet wanted to do some research while i had down time. I am hoping to get into some reds this year when not out on the big boat.
    Thanks again

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Hay Man It looks like I just rewrote your words, but I was typing the same time as you and your faster @ the keys. So what can I say but ,ya Really!

I know lol I was waiting to see how you would react.

We just floated from Cooper Landing (Kenai Lake) down to Jim's Landing (Skilak Rd pulloff) this past weekend. It was a nice float. I think it took us right around 4hrs to do the whole thing. That's with stopping for lunch. There were no logjams in the main channel. The only logjam we saw was at the Russian and Kenai confluence where the river splits around the island leading into the Sanctuary, but you're not gonna want to put your boat through there during red season anyway. Think "gaunlet of hooks".

I wouldnt consider anything from Cooper Landing down to Jim's Landing as being difficult to maneuver. And I think of myself as a novice. It's a very mellow float, with only a few spots of rolling water, just as the others have posted above. The section from Cooper Landing down to Sportsmans (Russian River ferry) is alot more fun IMO.
    Here's some pictures of the couple of spots with rolling water.

Coming up to the Princess lodge chute.

Here's a shot looking upstream after going through the chute. We were all wanting to do it again.

Here's the other boat in our group going through the chute. Super fun!

And here's the bend after you go under the bridge. I wanted to go out into the white water, but you can clearly see there's plenty of room to hug the bank if you wanted.

Thumbs up

those are some pretty good pictures and does look fun, i am wanting to do this in 2 days and some fishing/camping as well. Thanks for the pictures, i have a few weeks left and will be home.

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''