Thread: Raider put styrofoam planks under the decks filling the space, unusual?

Default Raider put styrofoam planks under the decks filling the space, unusual?

Yesterday I had to pull up the floorboards to run some DC power cable, I was surprised to find that the underdeck space from forward to aft is completely filled with loose styrofoam planks of about 6 inches across and an inch deep.

I dont know if they're intended for sound absorbtion, or for emergency flotation, or both. But I'm glad its there - I'd made a quip a few weeks ago about filling the underdeck space with 2 liter bottles; now I dont have to

At any rate, I'd never heard or seen that before and I was wondering if filling the underdeck space with styrofoam planks is unusual. I'm no boat building expert by any means.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Default Quite a few

of the alumimnium builders that I have seen use some sort of foam, whether it be a spray in foam or styrofoam blocks. I have a friend that used to build boats, he has these HUGE 5 foot wide 4 foot deep and like 12 foot long blocks he used to cut his floatation from.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I'm glad Raider used styrofoam instead of spray foam, spray foam would be a pain to work through, and it'd probably saturate, and it might lead to crevice corrosion on the aluminum.

I have to wonder how much flotation it'd provide, there's a LOT of styrofoam under there.
    "Dominion"

Foam does provide floatation, yet it's main use is sound deadoning. At least, that what Thunderjet rep said at one time when I was interested in one and asked what all the foam was for.

It makes a huge difference in sound and a smaller one in feel (vibration and pounding).

kinda off topic from your post maast but i was wondering if you bought this boat new. I have a buddy in Colville Washington where raiders are built and he builds for Raider. What made you pick the raider over hewes? Hewescraft is also out of Colville Washington, and the 2 boats look ery similar.

Yep, it was a year-old boat bought brand new

I always liked the layout and design of the Raider, I especially like the upswept bow which a Huges doesnt have. I'd gotten a quote from them but it was too much (I had too many bells and whistles)

While I was on the phone paring it down I said it had to be a 2696 cuddy and it had to have a head, I could deal with the rest.

The person said I should check out one on the lot at redwood marine, I called Redwood and once I heard the price it was such a deal I jumped on it with both feet - I didnt even try to dicker much.

There are a couple of minor spots where the person doing the interior screwed up; there are two small holes in the ceiling where he missed the cross brace and had to drill another hole 2 inches over.
    The hull is very well welded, there are a couple of spots in the cabin where the welder sputtered & globbed the weld, but not bad - I do my own welding so I notice welds, the average joe probably wouldnt even notice.
    Whoever did the electrical did an awesome job, very well done.

I really like it and glad I didnt buy any other else. However buying a bare boat is rigging it myself has been a heck of a lot of work.

So, to answer you question, desire and price and opportunity. If I'd stumbled on a Hewes that was such a deal I'd probably have one of those. I always preferred the Raider though.
    "Dominion"