Thread: Savage 99

Default Savage 99

OK, with all the recent posts about the 99, everyone seems to love them. And apparently they are very reliable, well balanced, etc. I do not have any experience with them, but if they are as good as everyone says, why did they stop making them? Cost? The rise of the bolt action?

Also, if anyone out there owns a gun factory, would you like to go in together and make a new run of them... I love working with nice old guns, but I hate how much some of them cost these days. And it's always a pain to find one in good condition on the used market. Maybe it's time to bring back the 99 the same way Auto Ordnance brought back the M1 Carbine...

Thoughts?

Lots of folks are telling Savage the same thing, but so far, no dice.

I keep hearing rumors about Marlin, and if true, there might be a little more room in the lever market.

Being unfamiliar with patent laws, is there anything preventing a company other than Savage from producing the 99?

Absolutely. If they don't negotiate and buy a license at the very least, their toast is scorched.

I've got a very "rare" Sharpes that demonstrates the point. It was made in Yreka California in the early 1970's when a company ginned up. It was a short-lived enterprise with only a few rifles turned out, because they didn't own the patents on a 100-year old design. A few years later the Shiloh Sharpes rifle company appeared, building essentially the same gun with the patent rights in hand.

As far as I know Savage only makes their bolt action rifles. Does someone out there really think they don't make any money with that? Savage is following a smart business course and I like their focus, maybe I don't like their bot action rifles and don't own one, but I still think what they are about is smart.

Your solution is simple, find a good used rifle and be happy.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Actually Savage has made a few 99`s in the past year or so. They were pretty expensive I`m thinking they were like 1200.00. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is selling some of them now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    As far as I know Savage only makes their bolt action rifles. Does someone out there really think they don't make any money with that? Savage is following a smart business course and I like their focus, maybe I don't like their bot action rifles and don't own one, but I still think what they are about is smart.

Your solution is simple, find a good used rifle and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by savage 99 View Post
    Actually Savage has made a few 99`s in the past year or so. They were pretty expensive I`m thinking they were like 1200.00. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is selling some of them now.
    If they are of the quality of the old ones I think $1200 is a great deal!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Cost

The cost of manufacturing the Model 99 was getting pretty prohibitive and the rifle market in general, not necessarily dyed in the wool "gun people" had lost some interest in what they perceived as an old model. The action is a complicated piece to machine. I have always loved the 99, especially a .250 Savage i wish to ---- I still had. I ranks, in my mind, as one of the phenoms of the gun world. If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Browning used a 99 action to create his first machine gun, jigging up a lever system to design a full auto firearm.

I think it was a m-66 or m-73 that he used for the first machine gun. Need to check the Browning biography for details.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by savage 99 View Post
    Do you happen to know what caliber and version of the 99 that is? My ears are twitching if it's 7mm-08.

i have a 99 in .308, nice lil gun,its my loaner. But are the actions all that noisy? If i got ready to shoot at a critter he'd hear the action a mile away.

I was gifted a model 99 in .308 from my uncle a couple years ago and absolutely love it! I found that it is no louder than a bolt action. Really, you can make any gun loud, its all how you cycle a round. If you hammer the action, its gonna be loud.