Thread: Best game bags

Default Best game bags

What's everyone using? I've used "Alaska Game Bags" with much success in the past but I'm just curious if anyone thinks there is a better option.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

TAG bags are the best bags i've used over any others and i've tried most. Course you already knew that.

Default oh no

Here we go again.....Do some searching, this has been beat up badly.

Default Whack

tag bags are all I will ever use again!

Default Automobile fender bags

The bag is what the front fenders come in. I came across these about 6 years ago when I was getting a fender bender repaired. Its a synthetic material that breaths and repells water. Of course if you submerge them they will fill up with water, but will repell in the rain if you are hanging quarters. And the best is that the repair shops usually throw them out. So I got a bunch and made my own bags. Re use them every year and just hose them off and hang out to dry. Mine are gray in color. Plus the blood doesnt stain them.

350SD

Default interesting

Quote Originally Posted by 350SuperDuty View Post
    The bag is what the front fenders come in. I came across these about 6 years ago when I was getting a fender bender repaired. Its a synthetic material that breaths and repells water. Of course if you submerge them they will fill up with water, but will repell in the rain if you are hanging quarters. And the best is that the repair shops usually throw them out. So I got a bunch and made my own bags. Re use them every year and just hose them off and hang out to dry. Mine are gray in color. Plus the blood doesnt stain them.

350SD
    Never heard of anything like this. Do you have any pictures that you can share? A little more info about them would be appreciated like the size and weight of the bags. I know one of the opponents of the tags is their breathability. Have you put the material up to your mouth and tried to blow throw it? Are you sure that they have not been chemically treated with something? Might be interesting to trace down the source for them.

For wheeler based hunts I just use the big heavy canvas (or whatever fabric they are) bags. For sheep and mountain game I have the Tag bags. I also have some other brand that Barneys sells but haven't used them just yet.

I have used Alaska Game Bags in the past with excellent results. Weave seems to keep bugs off and allows the air to get to the meat. I treat mine with citric mix before I go out and it seems to help. I have not had them tear or allow the flies to get on the meat. One thing of interest, I buy mine up here but a friend bought his through Cabela's and they were different. His seemed more "silky" is the best I can do. Still worked fine.
    BTW, I do have a set of TAG bags I've started using.

The ones with meat in them. grin!

Default Game Bags

I agree with the recommendation to search the forums on this one. A lot has been written about it already. Here are the high points from my perspective.

You have three choices: synthetic bags, cheesecloth-type bags, or cotton game bags. And keep in mind that it's not an all-or-nothing proposition. Be flexible and use what the situation requires.

SYNTHETIC BAGS
    Pros: Light weight, compact, good size selection.
    Cons: Restricted air flow (not very breathable), non absorbent, may snag/ tear from rough handling.

I know of two companies making these bags; Pristine Ventures (marketed under the name "T.A.G. Bags" and Caribou Gear (these are carried by Barney's Sport Chalet in Anchorage, for those interested). The material is similar, but the bag dimensions and package quantities are different, so be sure to research what you're getting so the size and quantity is right for the species you are hunting. For a moose, for example, I use 7 large (4 quarters, ribs and cape) and 3 small (neck, brisket/trim, and prime cuts). Your large bags should be at least long enough to accommodate a 48" long moose quarter, so, say, 54" or so.

It has been my experience that the reduced airflow, combined with the non-absorbent nature of the material, creates a humid environment inside the bags that can be a real problem in warmer weather. The moose meat we had in our bags developed a slick surface (indicative of surface bacterial growth) in less than two days, forcing us to pull the bags off and build a smudge fire to keep the bugs off while the meat developed a hard surface glaze. Had we not done this, the meat in the synthetic bags would have spoiled.

CHEESECLOTH BAGS
    Pros: Light weight, absorbent, excellent airflow, somewhat compact, inexpensive (some brands).
    Cons: Open weave allows fly eggs to pass through, clingy, somewhat fragile and can snag / tear from rough handling.

The Alaska Game Bags you mentioned are in this category. I have used them in the field and have seen fly eggs pass through the material. Without any other observations than that, I cannot use these bags for that reason. Also the clingy nature of the material causes it to stick to the meat and does not facilitate the surface drying of the meat as well as looser-fitting cotton bags.

COTTON GAME BAGS
    Pros: Absorbent, good airflow, can withstand rough handling.
    Cons: Bulky, heavy

Marketed as “elk quarter bags”, etc, these heavy cotton bags are ideal for meat care in the field and can withstand heavy handling that happens while loading / unloading rafts, airplanes, and shipping as cargo. When new, the material is not very breathable because it is coated with sizing, a starch that stiffens the material so it flows through the machinery properly during manufacturing. Sizing fills in the interstices between the fibers and inhibits airflow. For that reason, new cotton game bags should always be washed before use.

Also note that some game bags have a draw cord at the top. Be sure to tie the draw cord around the bag, below the actual opening, otherwise flies will go right into the hole at the top where the material gathers!

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default TAG Bags or Heavy Canvas

I have picked maggots of meat two hours after it was bagged in the cheese cloth type game bags, will never use them again. I have used TAG bags and heavy canvas bags since then and have had good results with both. When your carrying everything on your back its gotta be TAG Bags if you got a vehicle of some kind you can't beat the durability of heavy canvas bags.

One thing to seriously consider when choosing game bags and your doing a float hunt is the ability to keep your bags clean. Whenever I do a float hunt I take 2 sets of TAG bags, this allows me to remove a set from the animal, put a clean set on then wash the dirty set in the river. Hang the wet bags on some brush and in any kind of breeze they will dry in less than a half an hour.

Canvas or cloth bags take much, much longer to dry and never really get completely clean, whereas the TAG bags look almost like new once they've been washed.

Thumbs up Tag bags!

Tag Bags all the way...... with out a doubt the best performing meat bags I and all my hunting buddies have ever used. We've had superior results on all types of hunts, with all types of game animals, in all types of weather. Mine are going on 6 years now, used the heck out of them, and they still look new when I take them out of the washer after a hunt. I can only imagine the money I would have wasted on lesser quality bags during that same 6 year tenure........ Good luck!
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Default T.A.G. Bags

The 2010 stock of TAG Bags are made of a textured Game-Vent material that provides an even more durable strength and quality. The tests we performed for material ventilation (breathability) are slightly improved from past TAG Bag material, but 2 X more expensive to produce.

The reason this 2009/2010 material is different is in the way it's finished, as "textured" nylon is infused with air before being woven into sheets. The result is a "puffier" feel and look.

So far hunters have reported them being super strong and highly breathable.

http://www.pristineventures.com/products/game-bags.html

If anyone has questions about the TAG Bags, i'm happy to help.

http://www.pristineventures.com/prod...e-bag-faq.html

Larry