Thread: How to get 17' scanoe up to canoe lake?

Default How to get 17' scanoe up to canoe lake?

How would this be done? Any help would be nice

well you could carry/drag it and walk in... Isn't it like 20 feet from the parking lot?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    well you could carry/drag it and walk in... Isn't it like 20 feet from the parking lot?
    Yeah it is only like 20 to 30 feet from the parking lot. Do you mean getting it there? A truck would help...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thumbs up 20 feet

Holy crap. You expect someone to drag a canoe 20 to 30 feet If it were me I get ahold of a good transporter. Hire them to fly in and haul it for you. . Then just make the long hike from your truck to the canoe without the weight of hauling the canoe and you will be ready for a day of fishing
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Come on guys it must be closer to 100 ft. To try and be helpful to this young man have you heard of yokes that you can put on your canoe and then you carry it on your shoulders. Its called portage. What might be better for you they make a set of wheels that you can strap under the canoe and just wheel it down the trail. Or as been said just grab an end and drag it down the trail or bring a friend and each grab an end and go. when this becomes easy then you are ready to pack into long lake or Red shirt.

Someone told me it was a mile long trail to this lake

If your talking about canoe lake of the kepler Bradley they are pulling your leg. Long lake trail isn't even a mile long.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Holy crap. You expect someone to drag a canoe 20 to 30 feet If it were me I get ahold of a good transporter. Hire them to fly in and haul it for you. . Then just make the long hike from your truck to the canoe without the weight of hauling the canoe and you will be ready for a day of fishing
    We use to Portage our canoes about a mile when I was younger to get around the Falls on the Allagash waterway in Northern Maine. Just flip it up on your shoulders upside down and away you go. I can be a balancing act when you first do it, but thats what that oxbow looking cross bar on some of your better Old Towns and some others are for. Your more heavier canoes is better with a two man Portage but always put the taller guy in the front so the guy in the back can see where the heck you are going.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Someone told me it was a mile long trail to this lake
    There are several ways to get to the lake... take a left at the first left around the bend on the glen as you are going towards palmer, (sorry I have no clue what the road is named) follow the fishing signs...

Or if you prefer

Walk a couple miles from the matunuska lake trailhead.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the ADFG map/description of Canoe Lake. It really is a very, very short walk from the parking area.