Thread: I have a moose problem

Default I have a moose problem

Me and my wife were out hiking and we got charged by a cow moose with a couple calves, in the process of the scurry out of the path of destruction my wife dropped her very valuable camera, we moved a away and stayed back for an extended period of time watched the moose graze and get further away but every time we tried yo move back in to get the camera the moose was moving back towards us. Is this something the police department would help with, and the area I am doing this in is in close
    proximity to the airport so I don't know if I am
    even allowed to
    posess a
    gun in this area, what is the next best dterent for a cow with calves, game deterent m-80's and if
    so
    where can I get them. What about a portable air horn? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

no harassment of game ...... tough dude...not life threatening..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default No

Police are not going to get involved with something like that. Likewise, you are not permitted to harass the moose in any way unless they are threatening you. This doesn't count you approaching it and antagonizing it, then considering that as threatening. The best option is to do what you did, but maybe just have to wait a bit longer. They will eventually move on in their own time. A good option is to move around them to the far side. Often times, the moose are generally headed in one direction even when feeding. If you are in their way, they frequently won't back off, but may just stop where they are at or charge you if you get too close. If you move out of their way (like going around them to the far side), they will continue on and you could retrieve whatever you lost.

Default Babies

This moose had babies not to long ago but I know for afact it has been fairly far away from this spot with the babies, is it like a moose to bed up in the same spot all the time with babies or no?

Default Went back today

We went back today moose had moved on, got the camera back, life is good thanks for the advise guys.

Default Just kiddin

Just wait till their legal :p
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Default I am currious as well

How about pepper spray ?

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    How about pepper spray ?
    Bear spray has been known to work on moose in the past, however, you are not allowed to use it for convenience just to move a moose because you don't like where they are standing. If it is for your or another's safety, go for it, but not in a case such as this just to get a camera back. Spraying a moose can cause a number of problems for it, from just making it run into another person the other direction or separating a cow from her calves or making it, at least temporarily, a bit more difficult to do the things they need to do to maintain their safety from predators.