Thread: Homer with kids

Default Homer with kids

so i know probably alot of this has been covered but is kinda hard to find everything but i am looking for some advice

i will be going to homer in mid july and will be taking my wife and son and daughter

we are going to go clamming but i would like to get them into some fish as well, i have never shore fished the ocean for anything other then salmon which probably wont be around where i can get to so im looking for two things

what kind of fish can i expect to catch from shore and where to go for them, anything really not as interested in good eating fish (will glady take some if they are available) but more just for the wife and kids to reel something in

so what types of lures / setups should i bring for what types of fish?

any help would be greatly appreciated

go to the piers near lands end, use herring or octopus on #2 hooks, setup is simple weight up to 4oz then about 18in leader to hook and whip it out there. we where just down there and caught tons of pollock, flounder, cod, irish lords. may be possible to catch a silver or king also a halibut. def a good place to get your fam hooked on fishing, it was my wifes actual first time being able to fish with me and now thats all she is talking about "when are we gonna go back there" well hope this helps any more questions feel free to pm me! and good luck, also look in my pics and you can see what we caught!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

You might buy some spinnows or some Dart lures and try those. They work great for jigging. I'd expect you to catch some cod, rockfish, and maybe some flounder off those piers. You will catch fish.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

There also may be fish in the "Fishing Lagoon" at that time. It is stocked with kings that start returning any time now and through the summer. Then later in the summer stocked silvers head in there. It's a great place to take kids and if you're there at the right time you could connect with a decent sized king. Here's a link to some info about it: http://homeralaska.com/Stories/dudiak.shtml

And definitely do what 900fusion suggested, too. That is a very popular fishery and as he said a great place to get into some fish for those that have never caught one before.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

will definately check both those locations out, cant wait to get down there i didnt know about the lagoon i would love to bring a couple salmon home too

Default And.......

What Fusion said........plus lite gear (spinning rods) for the kids...Near 'Lands End" on the spit. Small pieces of pork chop on sz 6 hooks with slip sinker thrown out by the big metal tripod thingys at low tide. You can slam the flounder which are just as good eating as the halibut. Possible to catch 20-30 of em. Great fun. (pork chop piece is hard for em to get off the hook, so u can catch 5 or 6 b4 new one needed.) Eat whatever u have left. Enjoy.

and are there limits on the flounder also are there alot of worms in the fish there that close to shore

Quote Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
    and are there limits on the flounder also are there alot of worms in the fish there that close to shore
    I hate to say it, but I think worms are an inevitable part of any bottom dweller such as flounder or halibut. I've been catching a lot of halibut 10 miles out in the middle of the bay and they even have worms in them, so it really doesn't have much to do with how close to shore they are. I'm not fond of worms myself, but you can't avoid them. If you cook the meat properly it will kill them and besides, they're just extra protein!

There aren't any limits on flounder (see p. 14 of the regs) as they are considered "other finfish".
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com