Thread: Fairbanks Kings

Default Fairbanks Kings

I know i've seen salmon caught in fairbanks. Just wondering when they get here and how many? also is trolling the best method to get them? Are they on their last leg and pretty ripe? Thanks!

You wouldn't see numbers of kings up that way until later in the summer and they are gonna be pretty nasty by the time they get there
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

ok thanks thats kinda what i thought

Default but....

that's not to say you can't fish for them. Lot of folks go to the mouth of the Chena in a boat and some go up by the dam by Chena Lakes. A guy I know caught a 35lb right behind the forestry area buildings off University last July.

But I do agree that they are getting kind of "old" by then.

Default Interior Kings

July

Chena and Salcha Rivers

Bait (roe) is the easy way to catch them. I have caught them drifting corkies & yarn, soaking roe, back bounce kwik fish, and casting hardware.

harvest?.....I have harvested kings from the salcha before. I am not a salmon harvest snob, those are block party salmon (for when you host the next neighborhood block party) they run back for seconds, seen it with my own eyes...
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

There is a commercial king season in Canada so someone must eat them... Harvest bucks that aren't soft to the poke and don't have any mold.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    July

Chena and Salcha Rivers

harvest?.....I have harvested kings from the salcha before. I am not a salmon harvest snob, those are block party salmon (for when you host the next neighborhood block party) they run back for seconds, seen it with my own eyes...
    haha...Lol!

Block Party Salmon....Classic!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default yep, some are still edible

Hope this isn't a thread hi jack.

My past life wife is fom Beaver village upriver from the bridge on the Yukon. Her and the kids loved king salmon from the yukon. Then last year I brought home some Chitina reds and Valdez silvers. Now the ex and kids can't hardly stand the smell of a Yukon-Chena-Salcha caught king cooking in the oven. tou know, the small and different consistency of the meat, the oily smell. So, if your used to those that have been out of the salt for awhile, some of the local caught are still very much edible.

Seems like those in Canada would be about the same condition thay are here in Fairbanks. I'm just guessing.

Default Kings..

Caught them from 1st week in July through the 3rd week of July....after that you have to wade through the chums to get them..just look for the blushed torpedos zippin by, but they will be scarce by then. They are pretty beat up by the time you find them in the Chena/Salcha, but some will still find them edible/smokable. Personally, after about the 3rd time of cutting into opaque, almost whitish, meat, I just keep the eggs now and give the rest to whomever wants it. Best baits: Hands down, 2 small beads/corkies in Fl orange and Fl yellow/chartruse and roe. Make sure you check the single hook and hook size restriction with bait on the Chena...they will stop and check this. Can't use the double hook spin n glo rigs with eggs there. Salcha is just hook size restriction with bait. The pick up is light so you have to pay attention to the drift. Second best: Wigglewarts. On both methods, fish the deeper/darker holes as they can be pretty spooky on the shallower/clear water areas. This is whats worked for me anyway. Good luck..