Thread: Gun Show Purchase

Default Gun Show Purchase

Going to a gun show in KC, Mo. in July. What's the deal on buying? I read a few places where you won't be able to buy if your not a res. of that state?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

You should be able to buy shotguns and rifles, but not handguns unless you are a resident of MO. As far as purchasing from a licensed dealer goes.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I've been refused to buy long guns while outside. I believe it's a no-no. But you can have it shipped to your local FFL for the paperwork. Or if you have a local friend or relitive they can sign the paperwork and you can "buy it from them" w/o problems.

I have legally bought long guns in Missouri and Kansas while a resident of Alaska (toting AK DL), from FFL holders in those states. That is a long guns only deal just as Gungugs said. He does know, he is an FFL/Gunsmith (**** good one) in Fairbanks.

I may well be at that KC gun show. I believe it is just off I-29 south of the airport. Usually a good show.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Hmmm, Now that makes me wonder why I was given the run around? My brother signed off for me luckily.

Because the sale has to be legal in both states, and most dealers don't know the laws in every state.

Quick, is that Remington 1187 legal in Connecticut? What about a Benelli M4? How about Colorado? FNAR .308 and New Jersey?

Remember that your name is on the FFL, your livelihood and money are tied up in the business and inventory, your family needs a place to live and food, insurance, etc., and a 'honest' mistake means your face is on the front page of the newspaper in Anchorage and New York when Bloomberg's strawmen 'bust' you. Oh, and years in Club Fed if the ATF decides to make an example of you.

Easier to tell that guy that you don't do interstate sales.

Quote Originally Posted by AkMike1 View Post
    Or if you have a local friend or relitive they can sign the paperwork and you can "buy it from them" w/o problems.
    As I understand things and as stupid as I think it is . . . I believe if you pay and they sign that would be a ďstraw buyĒ and not legal.

On the long gun thing I think some FFLs donít know and donít want to find out so they just say no.

As far as handguns you canít legally buy outside your state of residence even from an individual, itís done all the time but not legally. According to BATF youíre supposed to have the seller send it to an FFL in your State of residence to do the proper paperwork.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    As I understand things and as stupid as I think it is . . . I believe if you pay and they sign that would be a ďstraw buyĒ and not legal.

On the long gun thing I think some FFLs donít know and donít want to find out so they just say no.

As far as handguns you canít legally buy outside your state of residence even from an individual, itís done all the time but not legally. According to BATF youíre supposed to have the seller send it to an FFL in your State of residence to do the proper paperwork.

I find the above to be of extreme interest. It seems the Feds now have the proper to dictate to non license holders, what they can and can not do? This sounds like something right out of the Obama play book. A whole lot of people better grow some intestinal fortitude fast or will be living in the newest communist country in the world. Why does it seem I can live without the Federal government in my life?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Politics?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I find the above to be of extreme interest. It seems the Feds now have the proper to dictate to non license holders, what they can and can not do? This sounds like something right out of the Obama play book. A whole lot of people better grow some intestinal fortitude fast or will be living in the newest communist country in the world. Why does it seem I can live without the Federal government in my life?
    Has nothing to do with the current administration this has been law for a long time now. Nice try though.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Was there any difference?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Gun Control Act of 1968

The assassination of John F. Kennedy, who was killed by a mail-order gun that belonged to Lee Harvey Oswald, inspired this major revision to federal gun laws. The subsequent assassinations of Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy fueled its quick passage. License requirements were expanded to include more dealers, and more detailed record keeping was expected of them; handgun sales over state lines were restricted; the list of persons dealers could not sell to grew to include those convicted of felonies (with some exceptions), those found mentally incompetent, drug users and more. The act also defined persons who were banned from possessing firearms.

This war on our gun rights has been going on a very long time now through every administration in some form since the 1934 National Firearms Act. Obama is just the latest greatest politician on the block . . . till we boot him for a Republican who says they are pro gun but does nothing for us gun guys.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

You can still buy if you run across a "private sale." That`s assuming the seller has something of interest to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    The assassination of John F. Kennedy, who was killed by a mail-order gun that belonged to Lee Harvey Oswald, inspired this major revision to federal gun laws. The subsequent assassinations of Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy fueled its quick passage. License requirements were expanded to include more dealers, and more detailed record keeping was expected of them; handgun sales over state lines were restricted; the list of persons dealers could not sell to grew to include those convicted of felonies (with some exceptions), those found mentally incompetent, drug users and more. The act also defined persons who were banned from possessing firearms.

This war on our gun rights has been going on a very long time now through every administration in some form since the 1934 National Firearms Act. Obama is just the latest greatest politician on the block . . . till we boot him for a Republican who says they are pro gun but does nothing for us gun guys.
    Let us tale note that the above is all for Federal FFL holders and has nothing to do with the people that do not hold and FFL. These laws like all administrative laws are written to look like they are meant for everybody. I feel bad for all the folks that do not know how to read these Federal administrative rules. For Americans to still remain free it was necessary for the Federal government not to violate the Constitution that was written to keep the Federal government in check.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Let us tale note that the above is all for Federal FFL holders and has nothing to do with the people that do not hold and FFL. These laws like all administrative laws are written to look like they are meant for everybody. I feel bad for all the folks that do not know how to read these Federal administrative rules. For Americans to still remain free it was necessary for the Federal government not to violate the Constitution that was written to keep the Federal government in check.
    You may want to research that a little more because it’s definitely well known law. As soon as two people from different states do business with each other all this stuff kicks in under the Interstate Commerce Clause of the US Construction and all parties become subject to all things Federal having to do with the transaction. I just happen to know a man that got his dangly bits in a vise over just this kind of thinking, he lives in the Florence prison now!

From the sumery of the Gun Controll Act of 1968
    With certain exceptions-primarily, the purchase of rifles and shotguns-all over-the-counter purchases of firearms by persons other than dealers must be made within the buyer's state of residence. A private individual is prohibited from selling a firearm to any buyer whom he has reason to believe resides in another state.

Some links for more info
    http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=63
    http://www.nraila.org/federalfirearms.htm#GCA
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-4.pdf
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona