Thread: Intro to recurve small game shooting

Default Intro to recurve small game shooting

I'm interested in starting to hunt rabbits and ptarmigan with a recurve bow. I have know idea what to get. I have been looking at 50# 60 in. bows. I'm 5'9" and not really sure if that is the correct length. Also not sure what arrows to shoot and what length. I've shot recurves before and have been pretty accurate out to 50 yards but it was a long time ago and I was a bit shorter and younger. Any help would be much appreciated.

Brad, Look up Martha Massey, she's the widow of a living legend.

Second, bow length really isnt an issue unless you have monkey arms. Most bows, if they are built for your drawlength will be just fine and not stack to badly. Some production bows do stack horribly. That doesnt mean you can't find a good one used, production OR custom.

Go to the massey shoot, get your hands on bows, figure out what kind of weight you can handle comfortably. My guess is it's going to be somewhere around 40 maybe 45lbs. Most tradfolks are more then willing to help people out who show interest in tradarchery.

Arrow length is two fold, first it needs to be long enough it doesnt get drawn off the back of the shelf, or rest if you use one.

Second arrow length also dictates the spine of a shaft which can aid (or hinder if you dont know how to use it), tuning. The most important thing you can do is learn to tune your bow to achieve perfect arrow flight. Which means you must learn proper form. Dont worry about where the arrow goes as much as how it gets there. With proper form and a properly tuned setup, your groups will be tight, your learning curve very short, and your accuracy suprising well.

50 yards is a LONG ways with a stickbow on anything. I did have a bow that shot point of aim spot on at 50 and I still had issues...some days were great, almost suprisingly so though they were pretty rare lol. Not to say a guy couldnt, many are and were. I know I am not and likely never will be!

For heads I highly recommend htm rubber blunts and take head shots on those hares. For grouse, a 357 case with the extration ring filed down (or steel rubber blunds though it'll make a significant addition to weight vs the case) with a htm rubber blunt slide over the case or steel blunt. It's works amazing well on grouse, much more so then anything else I have used, from bh's to field points and just about every concoction we could come up with inbetween. YOu can use this same set up on hares.

Tune the bow
    practice for form
    accuracy and success will follow rapidly.

Skip the steps, or do one half way and you'll pay dearly with many years of frustration!!! I know to many people who quit tradarchery for one reason or another. It's usually wrapped around success or the lack there of, and in the grand scheme of things, the missing link is the person behind the bow not taking proper steps.

It's a heckuva load of fun!!! Good luck with it!

Thanks for the advice I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully I can get it all straight and get out there this fall.

oh I'm sure you'll do fine. Forgot to add, dont loose site of the fun part. It can get to be a little overwhelming at the beginning. Enjoy it, if you're up this way holler!