Thread: outboard prop/jet switching...

Default outboard prop/jet switching...

I'm on the verge of selling my two outboards and buying a larger one with a prop leg and a jet leg.

I expect that it will be easier to switch the legs back and forth and raise/lower the outboard than it will to switch the entire outboard, maintain 2 seperate outboards, etc...

How difficult is it to switch the shifting linkage from a prop to a jet? My steering will be set up for remote control. I plan on buying a water pump for the jet as well, so I don't have to switch one between both bottom ends.

Any other advice on making this job as easy as possible, and minimizing wear on the parts that are going to get changed back and forth? I anticipate switching back and forth no more than 2x a year, probably only once.

thanks guys...

You will need a way to raise and lower the engine from 5 to 7 inches, I use a electric jack plate on mine. It also makes it easier if you have a water pump installed on both the jet and prop lower unit. You will need to have a shift cable long enough to reach the reverse bucket on the lower unit for the jet. This will make the shift cable too long with the prop installed. I install prop in the spring for high water and Valdez and switch to the jet as the salmon move up and the water goes down. I can change mine out in about an hour.

Good Luck

Steve

thanks steve. that's a nice setup you have there. I am guessing my shift cable will be too short, so that's the only part I might have to change out.

Going to try the jet out with a manual setback jack, but I may wind up just running the jet straight off the transom if it works better that way. It's a 90. Based on what I've read, the jury's out on whether or not setback jacks improve or worsen ob jet performance, so I guess I'm just going to have to try it

Default Transom saver?

Sorry to hijack the thread but Steve I noticed that you have a transom saver holding your prop up... Does that work with the jet unit installed? does it seem to help reduce wear and tear on the boat?

Thanks,
    Chris

Don't use it with the jet. I tow the boat a lot so I figure it can't hurt..

Steve

Some pics of my setup, the first pic is with the a manual lift, which is for sale. The second pic is with a power trans lift.

For a heavy motor the electric lift is the way to go, you didnt say what size boat you have or what brand motor, more importantly weight of the motor.

My hull is narrower that Steve's and the setback made a big differnce in my hole shot, hence the addition of the pods.

The power lift does give you a lot of adjustment for trim, I have found I can raise the jet up quite a bit before it will cavatate.

The lifts are heavy also, the power trans has over 7 inches of travel and weighs 55 pounds, the manual is 1/2 of that at 28.

I have to split the lower cowling to reconnect the shift cable also, its not so diffucult standing in a parking lot, but would rather not on the riverbank, in the rain, with the bugs, and a case of the dropsies, all those small bolts and linkage clips............I am working on a way to eliminate all that and still have reverse on the jet, something I find usefull, will post a pic when I get it done.........
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Some pics of my setup, the first pic is with the a manual lift, which is for sale. The second pic is with a power trans lift.

For a heavy motor the electric lift is the way to go, you didnt say what size boat you have or what brand motor, more importantly weight of the motor.

My hull is narrower that Steve's and the setback made a big differnce in my hole shot, hence the addition of the pods.

The power lift does give you a lot of adjustment for trim, I have found I can raise the jet up quite a bit before it will cavatate.

The lifts are heavy also, the power trans has over 7 inches of travel and weighs 55 pounds, the manual is 1/2 of that at 28.

I have to split the lower cowling to reconnect the shift cable also, its not so diffucult standing in a parking lot, but would rather not on the riverbank, in the rain, with the bugs, and a case of the dropsies, all those small bolts and linkage clips............I am working on a way to eliminate all that and still have reverse on the jet, something I find usefull, will post a pic when I get it done.........
    John
    I looked at your set up with prop......I know in any thread we were talking about cavitation......if you line up the next plate up from the cavitation plate with the bottom of your tunnel that should be the ticket to smooth all out. I don't think you will need to go any deeper then that.

I think TBlooma had his swap from prop to jet down to about 20 minutes or so. Changing from jet back to prop takes a little longer as getting the shift cable back in place was the biggest hold up.

thanks for all the feedback guys. Switching back and forth doesn't seem overly daunting. I had some guys telling me it was a major PITA but having taken apart both prop and jet bottom ends it doesn't seem too bad to me.

AK gramps that's quite the big Johnson you have there... I'm intrigued at how high you have the prop sitting. Does it perform ok like that? What about the jet? Better with or without the jack plate?

My boat is about 14.5' with a shallow tunnel, and I'm putting a Merc 90 @ 305lbs on it. I managed to get a hi-jacker jack plate with the sale, it lifts 5" and sets back 6". If it doesn't work I won't use it, but I'm thinking it could do good things with the prop.

The Power-Tran is the lift you want if you are going to do this. I had a 90hp Evinrude on a 20' flatbottomd Alumaweld that I would switch back and forth. It had a manual jackplate and it was a PITA. Also, due to the lack of lift, I had to have another plate made to bolt onto the top of the jackplate that would give the additional lift required. BUT, I still needed to unbolt the motor itself and raise and lower the motor on the jackplate, re-bolt, then raise lower the jackplate. It was no fun at all and I ended up not using it that much, even though I really wanted too. Adjusting a manual from top-to-bottom with a ratchet and socket is a drag too.

CMC only has 5.5" and won't hack it. You will need a minimum of 6.75" of vertical lift to do what you want. I see you have a 5" lift. You will be disappointed when you try to change over, you won't be able to do it. Power-Trans was made specifically to address this issue. CMC did make a unit that had almost 10" of lift, but they don't make them any more. I even called them to ask if I could have one made up from spare parts, they politely refused.

I currently own a 20' Allweld with a CMC lift (Power-Tran came out the same year I bought my set-up), Changing the lower on a 175hp motor is going to require you to start lifting weights, or have someone to help. A 90 can be done in 25-45 minutes, depending on how bad the mosquitoes are biting. The larger lowers are almost twice as heavy, and so take more time.

http://www.powrtran.com/cgi-bin/cart...?parts_id=9662
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

thanks Nitroman.

For the past few years I've been using my shop engine hoist to swap a 50 prop and a 60/40 jet (2 separate outboards) back and forth. Now, even without a jack plate, all I have to do is move a single outboard up or down on my transom. I only intend to do this once or twice a year, in my shop at home, and I have a great engine hoist.

At some point, if I find the jack plate works well with the jet, I may buy a powered one, but my main concern was how difficult it would be to switch the shift linkage, etc.

Do you guys put never-sieze on the 4 lower unit bolts? loctite? anything?

Quote Originally Posted by longshanks View Post
    thanks for all the feedback guys. Switching back and forth doesn't seem overly daunting. I had some guys telling me it was a major PITA but having taken apart both prop and jet bottom ends it doesn't seem too bad to me.

AK gramps that's quite the big Johnson you have there... I'm intrigued at how high you have the prop sitting. Does it perform ok like that? What about the jet? Better with or without the jack plate?

My boat is about 14.5' with a shallow tunnel, and I'm putting a Merc 90 @ 305lbs on it. I managed to get a hi-jacker jack plate with the sale, it lifts 5" and sets back 6". If it doesn't work I won't use it, but I'm thinking it could do good things with the prop.
    I never ran the prop that way, I had the manual lift on the boat last year w/ the jet, I wanted to see how the boat worked with the setback.
    Before I did the pods and all the other work I hung the motor just so I could get my dimensions right as I also needed to cut the transom down. Its not something I do every day so it was easier for me to visualize and measure with it "mocked up" so to speak.

The jet works fine with the setback, once I added the pods for more flotation, the setback required extending the tunnel and then I wrapped over the top with a piece of rubber, it works great!!!! I am really pleased w/ the jet performance, a little more tuning with the prop and that should be dialed in also.
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by longshanks View Post
    thanks Nitroman.

For the past few years I've been using my shop engine hoist to swap a 50 prop and a 60/40 jet (2 separate outboards) back and forth. Now, even without a jack plate, all I have to do is move a single outboard up or down on my transom. I only intend to do this once or twice a year, in my shop at home, and I have a great engine hoist.

At some point, if I find the jack plate works well with the jet, I may buy a powered one, but my main concern was how difficult it would be to switch the shift linkage, etc.

Do you guys put never-sieze on the 4 lower unit bolts? loctite? anything?
    If you are only doing this a couple of times a year, and doing it in a shop environment with a lift, consider using some beefy aluminum angle to give you the adjustment, then you will have no negatives associated with the setback.

The setback may not be a issue w/ your 305 pound motor, but you didn't say how wide the bottom of the boat is? that can make a difference.

I know the high HP bass boats seem to like setback, I dont think this is the case in you situation.

The power-trans is the way to go, as it uses a jack screw and will not creep down. I just use some grease on the bolts, neversieze would be ok. although sometimes it gets gummy.
    TR