Thread: ODD Group Float - Y'all come!

Default ODD Group Float - Y'all come!

We did a couple polls that I hope everyone got a chance to see.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=77243
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=77240

The river of choice is the Matanuska River on June 5 & 6. Anyone and everyone is invited to come along in pretty much any craft they have.

This Matanuska float starts about 100 miles northeast of Anchorage, at either Hicks Creek or Glacier View, and ending behind what used to be King Mountain Lodge. It can be floated in one long day, but is best done in two shorter days. You can take your pick in how you want to do it. I will be camping somewhere short of the takeout, but if you need to get back to town you are welcome to finish the float and drive home that evening.

This is class II+ most of the way, with perhaps a class III at Nova Bend, but there is an easy sneak route on the left, and water will be low so it won't be difficult. Camping is good on a large selection of gravel bars.

There is also an option to do the Lion's Head section above Glacier View for those wanting do do a little white water. Figure on a really rocky class III at this early season water level. Large cats might struggle in some sections due to the low water. But this is only for the optional Lion's Head section. The rest of the river will be low, but have plenty of water to float most anything.

Easiest way to do this is to plan on meeting at the Glacier View put in at around 10AM on Saturday the 5th. Bring your own food & gear, but we could do a pot luck for Saturday night's dinner for those interested.

More details will follow, but save the date, and plan on meeting some of the boaters you all argue with all the time.

Default Wait a minute!!!

Don't you remember me in a large cat last year!! I think it was easier to run the Grand Canyon!!! Kidding all, it is a fun easy trip. I will try to be there with my kayak. Please no one con me into running thier raft so they can drink beer.

Chris

Time to move into planning stage for this group trip. People on this forum have done 2 previous group floats, and his will be the third, and the second time on the Matanuska. We will start by meeting at the put in around 11 am on Saturday, June 5. It's only 100 miles from Anchorage, but for some reason it takes nearly 3 hours of driving, so plan on leaving town by 8 am. Kenai and Fairbanks paddlers should plan accordingly.

The Matanuska in this section is all class II with one class III- at Nova Bend, and you can sneak past that on river left. The river is smaller and faster than the upper Kenai, but hardly more difficult. You just have to keep paying attention for any rocks to dodge.

The water will be normal to the low side of normal. The gauge is hovering around the mid 3' area right now.

There is no public land at the Glacier View bridge so our launch will be at the bridge below the Glacier View access bridge. You can find the road down to the river about 100 yards before (closer to Anchorage) the mile 102 marker. It's called Keiths Rd. The public area is on river right just above the bridge. From there we will have to do some shuttles to the take out, which will be right behind what used to be King Mt Lodge. Both areas have quite a bit of parking space, but more so at the take out.

I'm planning on doing this as an overnighter, because I like river camping. But it can easily be done on one day, so you don't have to camp if you don't want to. We'll camp close to the end anyway, so we will be able to float together for most of it.

Bring your own food and anything else you want. There is no cost other than what you spend to get there. This is not an official Outdoors Directory float. This is a "friends trip" so you're on your own for liability purposes.

So, who's going?

Thanks for taking this on, guys. I will be in Indonesia at that time and will be unable to attend. But I would be there if I could! The last one with Jim was a blast.

Enjoy, and post plenty of pics!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default 5-29

we will be leaving in a few minutes to float from the lower brige at glacier view to the old Glen Highhway; I will let everyone know how it goes; river level; speed; campsites etc. If all goes well; we will be joining everyone next weekend.

RC23

Default Oh bummer.

I'll be sailing in PWS for the week. Hope everyone has a good time.

Chris

Angry Doggone it.

I'm gonna have to bow-out again this year. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in the devil's outhouse (central valley CA) and even if i do make it back in time, I won't be able to justify a raft trip that soon.

Maybe next year.

Default Float report

Put in at the lower bridge at Glacier view at around 3:30 pm. River flowing about 6-7 mph lots of splashy waves. Floated about 15 miles until I ripped a 3 foot long hole in one of my tubes. Pulled out and camped/ repaired the tube. Next evening floated out to King Mountain Lodge in around 2 hours. Plenty of places to camp and lots of wood for fires if you decide to camp. The only real drawback of our trip was the relentless 30 mph upriver wind. Plan on being on the oars constantly to keep oriented correctly. I'm not one for a lot of words so if you want to know anything else just ask and I'll do my best to answer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a long gash! How'd it happen?

Default stupid stick

Just an ordinary stick along side a narrow channel; raft spun at just the right time to slam it straight into the side. A hole would have been fairly small but once the raft was punctured the pressure in the tube caused the tube to tear in both directions.

Ouch! That does look bad. How'd you patch it?

I once had a small sharp stick poke a hole in my Aire cat. With that tough hide you wouldn't think it possible --- but it is.

Weather has been warm enough to get the river level hovering right around the 3.5-4' level. Pretty close to mid summer normal. With the cooler weather today, I see it's coming down a bit. Lion's Head rapids might be more fun than I thought they would be. Perhaps I should plan on getting there early enough to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Ouch! That does look bad. How'd you patch it?

I once had a small sharp stick poke a hole in my Aire cat. With that tough hide you wouldn't think it possible --- but it is.

Weather has been warm enough to get the river level hovering right around the 3.5-4' level. Pretty close to mid summer normal. With the cooler weather today, I see it's coming down a bit. Lion's Head rapids might be more fun than I thought they would be. Perhaps I should plan on getting there early enough to do it.

I first tried to just patch it; but it didn't hold. After that I ended up crudely stitching it up with some fly line backing and a leatherman; no needle. Then I re-patched it. I have been thinking about pulling the patch off and doing a better job; but it doesn't leak so I might just do that this winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So far, I have heard from several people that will not be there, but from no one that will be there.

Anyone?

Default possible

My wife and I intend to float with you. I am looking at the weather and it just calls for showers. I am good with showers (wife thinks i need a few more) but if it is going to poor I will back out.

I will have room for one , possibly two depending on gear on my boat if someone wants to ride along. I sure hope a few more jump in. I am looking forward to meeting fellow drifters.

Weather forecast for both Palmer and Glennallen call for highs about 60 and lows about 40, with scattered light showers and winds for both Saturday & Sunday.

Looks like there will be three boats, perhaps more, with one being Saturday only. If the weather is worse than expected perhaps we'll all quit early.

Water level is medium low at about 3.3'. I'm going with a one man cata-canoe made from two Aire Lynx IKs. Should be a nice float. Any other takers? Anyone just want to ride along?

Default one day

I would like to give it a shot, but will have do it in one day. Right now the wife & I will plan to find you at the launch area in the morning.

Default Sorry

I have to back out. Just gat called into work. I will mot get home until at least noon tomorrow. Maybe next time. I am very sorry.

Default Nice day for a boat ride.

Only two boats showed but we had a nice time. Did it in about 6 hours of floating and we were back in town before 11 pm. Weather was nice, mostly sunny for the first and last couple hours. It rained just a bit at the end, but since the sun was shining at the time I'm not sure we can count it.